2015 Hottest 100

Remove this Banner Ad

Going to go on like a broken record here and insert a bit of tin foil hat. Correct me if I'm wrong (had a few by then) but didnt they say hoops won by 315 votes before they played it? Could it be that JJJ wanted it to win as someone like Kendrick Lamar couldnt give an ass, probably not even give an interview so they pretty much ensured Hoops would win to have a proper celebration and subsequent interview?
Plenty of big name artists have finished first before, Kings of Leon and Muse for example. In fact I think it was a very tiny amount of votes that separated Knights of Cydonia with Silverchair's Straight Lines... No conspiracy here

Going to go on like a broken record here and insert a bit of tin foil hat. Correct me if I'm wrong (had a few by then) but didnt they say hoops won by 315 votes before they played it? Could it be that JJJ wanted it to win as someone like Kendrick Lamar couldnt give an ass, probably not even give an interview so they pretty much ensured Hoops would win to have a proper celebration and subsequent interview?

There have already been a number of instances in the past where the "bland, forgettable Australian" song manages to steal top spot off an "iconic classic".
I personally just put it down to the fact its an Australian poll and voters love Australian songs. Here are examples of some of the other past vanilla upsets..

2001: Alex Lloyd's Amazing beats System Of A Down's Chop Suey!
2003: Jet's Are You Gonna Be My Girl somehow manages to steal top spot off both Hey Ya! & Seven Nation Army :confused:
2005: Bernard Fanning's Wish You Well wins over Gorillaz' Feel Good Inc.
2013: Vance Joy's Riptide claims number 1 over Lorde's Royals & Daft Punk's Get Lucky

I too have noticed the Aussie bias in the winning songs lately

2015: The Rubens
2014: Chet Faker
2013: Vance Joy
2012: Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
2011: Gotye ft. Kimbra
2010: Angus & Julia Stone

excluding Thrift Shop in 2012, which came out later in the year and just blew up huge, 5 of the past 6 winners have been Australian bands/artists

this will therefore lead me to having a punt on the biggest 2-3 tracks by Aussies next year haha

There have already been a number of instances in the past where the "bland, forgettable Australian" song manages to steal top spot off an "iconic classic".
I personally just put it down to the fact its an Australian poll and voters love Australian songs. Here are examples of some of the other past vanilla upsets..

2003: Jet's Are You Gonna Be My Girl somehow manages to steal top spot off both Hey Ya! & Seven Nation Army :confused:
2013: Vance Joy's Riptide claims number 1 over Lorde's Royals & Daft Punk's Get Lucky
Zan Rowe was on ABC News Breakfast yesterday and virtually admitted that JJJ (Kingsmill) likes Australian songs to be #1.

Is there any auditing done of the votes? I'm sure JJJ could have some influence if they really wanted too.

Zan Rowe was on ABC News Breakfast yesterday and virtually admitted that JJJ (Kingsmill) likes Australian songs to be #1.

Is there any auditing done of the votes? I'm sure JJJ could have some influence if they really wanted too.
It makes sense why he would like them to be #1/popular. It's easier to get Aussie bands in for things such as Like a Version or JJJ supported festivals, compared to someone like Kendrick Lamar who would probably just shrug his shoulders if he found out he won this countdown

I too have noticed the Aussie bias in the winning songs lately

2015: The Rubens
2014: Chet Faker
2013: Vance Joy
2012: Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
2011: Gotye ft. Kimbra
2010: Angus & Julia Stone

excluding Thrift Shop in 2012, which came out later in the year and just blew up huge, 5 of the past 6 winners have been Australian bands/artists

this will therefore lead me to having a punt on the biggest 2-3 tracks by Aussies next year haha
Well the overwhelming majority of people who vote, are Aussies, who probably go and watch those Aussies perform 3 or 5 or 10 times in a year compared to a foreign band/singer who they may see once. I'm surprised more Aussie artists dont win - it doesnt mean I would have voted for that particular Auusie act, just thats how the numbers fall.

Interesting post!
2001: i can understand as chop suey is a great song but wouldnt be loved by everyone
2003: Thats a big one, feel the status of Hey Ya has grown over the years but still wowed
05 & 13 well particularly 13 was a massive song and I'm happy for it to win

Have listened to this hottest 100 for 6-7 years now and can categorically say the past 2 years have left the party flat at #1.

I don't know how you can say music like Chvrches is "trash" - some music is objectively bad. But Chvrches puts out songs with blissfull sounds and sweet vocals. It's not objectively bad but maybe you don't enjoy it. That doesnt make it trash though.

The same with Reubens, i had never heard the song until yesterday, not my kind of jam, and it was underwhelming, but it's not objectively bad.
Sweet vocals?

Lauren Mayberry is literally, LITERALLY the weakest vocalist currently popular in the indie scene. I'm not even exaggerating.

Pitchy messes. She has a terrible range and it sounds like she's struggling for breath all the time. There's nothing at all special about the production either. If I wanted to listen to confectionary synth pop with crap songwriting, i'd just listen to Purity Ring.

Sweet vocals?

Lauren Mayberry is literally, LITERALLY the weakest vocalist currently popular in the indie scene. I'm not even exaggerating.

Pitchy messes. She has a terrible range and it sounds like she's struggling for breath all the time. There's nothing at all special about the production either. If I wanted to listen to confectionary synth pop with crap songwriting, i'd just listen to Purity Ring.

Purity Ring is also good. So gtfo, what do you listen to?

Purity Ring is also good.
Purity Ring have about 3 good songs (Push Pull, Crawlersout and Lofticries) and the rest is all aesthetic no substance.

So gtfo, what do you listen to?
A bunch of stuff.

Just a few of my favourite synth based songs with female vocals.

Indie scene? They are on Virgin records.
You know what I mean - songs that aren't played on commercial radio as Top 40 hits. The meaning of "indie" in the Triple J parlance, not necessarily artists signed to independent labels.

You know what I mean - songs that aren't played on commercial radio as Top 40 hits. The meaning of "indie" in the Triple J parlance, not necessarily artists signed to independent labels.
I know exactly what you mean, but I still find it disgustingly dumbed down the way people use that word.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How nice is Veronica Maggio, such a nice looker yet has tunes to prove being an artist.

So you were checking bigfooty while you were at a party?

Your friends must be arrogant kill joys who reckon they're better than everyone just like you, or more likely, it was a ****in s**t party.

Then again you haven't even admitted you weren't at home by yourself so maybe you were.

You believe the hype. Sucka.

You effectively accepted that he was correct by ignoring what he said and attacking him, congratulations.

He-hey! Words can change meaning over time!

Some might say the meaning of indie is "literally" nothing like it used to be...
The word means nothing in terms of its origins these days, especially in the UK.

The word means nothing in terms of its origins these days, especially in the UK.

Seriously who cares. It's just an easy descriptor. Once Chvrches start getting spins on Nova then you can rightfully call out the "indie" terminology, until then...

Seriously who cares. It's just an easy descriptor. Once Chvrches start getting spins on Nova then you can rightfully call out the "indie" terminology, until then...
That's the point exactly. It is not an easy descriptor because the word has lost it's meaning. You could be describing anything.

The term can be still useful regarding literature and to a lesser extent films. But music? Becoming irrelevent.

That's the point exactly. It is not an easy descriptor because the word has lost it's meaning. You could be describing anything.

The term can be still useful regarding literature and to a lesser extent films. But music? Becoming irrelevent.
I agree, the adjective of Indie is so widespread these days that it doesn't even mean anything.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_indie_rock_musicians

Look at some of these names, a lot of these artists have nearly no symmetrical features at all..

It's a lazy term.

My prediction for Top 30

1. Jarryd James - Do You Remember?

2. Major Lazer - Lean On (Feat. MØ)

3. The Rubens - Hoops

4. The Weeknd - Can't Feel My Face

5. Tame Impala - The Less I Know The Better

6. Disclosure - Omen (Feat. Sam Smith)

7. Tame Impala - Let It Happen

8. Marcus Marr and Chet Faker - The Trouble With Us

9. Kendrick Lamar - King Kunta

10. Florence And The Machine - What Kind of Man

11. CHVRCHES - Leave A Trace

12. RUFUS - You Were Right

13. Disclosure - Magnets (Feat. Lorde)

14. Courtney Barnett - Pedestrian At Best

15. Vance Joy - Fire And The Flood

16. Jarryd James - Give Me Something

17. Drake - Hotline Bling

18. Violent Soho - Like Soda

19. RUFUS - Like an Animal

20. Tame Impala - Eventually

21. Peking Duk - Say My Name

22. Flume - Some Minds (Feat. Andrew Wyatt)

23. Courtney Barnett - Elevator Operator

24. Kendrick Lamar - Alright

25. Tuka - Big Jet Plane (Feat. Thelma Plum and Kite String Tangle) (Like a Version)

26. DMA's - Lay Down

27. Foals - Mountain At My Gates

28. Meg Mac - Never Be

29. Foals - What Went Down

30. Jamie xx - Loud Places (Feat. Remy)
This was a damn good effort for a guess in November

Remove this Banner Ad

Back