2015 ICC Cricket World Cup Final: New Zealand vs Australia - 29th March, 2.30pm AEDT @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Give him a $7k fine (max for a pitch invader I think) and ban him for life from attending all international cricket matches. The dick head could have protested at the rally in the CBD which was on that same day instead of being an attention whore and running onto the MCG.

Not that he got that much attention anyway as the cameras barely showed him (well they showed the highest camera view possible).

Not that he got that much attention anyway as the cameras barely showed him (well they showed the highest camera view possible).
Yeah but the attention he gets comes after the incident with all the news reports and interviews. Same thing happened with the hippies that illegally entered the arena at the tennis.

Great poll! To be honest I didn't notice any sledging yesterday, though I was out for the first few wickets and watch with the sound down low so I don't have to listen to the commentators.
Yeah to be honest I noticed much more sledging between us and the indians during our series between them.

Maxwell is a frustration isn't he? I'm more than happy to endure his idiosyncrasies when playing World Cup for Australia, but no way do I want him anywhere near the Test team. It's a shame because I think he has the talent to be a top Test player, but he has shown he is simply not prepared to adjust his game to Test cricket as Warner did.

He has all the cricketing shots in the world but his mindset is awful.

******* love this pic. great to see them still in uniform!

They spoke to those lads on Triple M this morning (Roo and Ditts for Adelaide people), and bloody George Bailey is an absolute crackup! He had Boof's phone and was giving a complete description of some of the happenings of the night before. He then gave the phone to Faulks who seemed surprisingly coherent and actually spoke about the game!

The players all thought Boof's head was the World Cup trophy at times during the night haha

I've barely heard anything about the pitch invader from yesterday to be honest though.
Yeah much less was said about him than the tennis invader which is a good thing. Giving them no publicity is good as it will deter future incidents.

Yeah much less was said about him than the tennis invader which is a good thing. Giving them no publicity is good as it will deter future incidents.

I think with the tennis, being a smaller arena with all cameras poised on a relatively small court area makes it easier to pull a stunt like what happened.

The cricket and football it's much easier to ignore idiots as you can just do a wide pan camera shot or a shot well away from the action.

It's not exactly surprising, the team is full of arrogant prats who behave like children out on the pitch and have egos the size of a country. Johnson and Warner are the worst of them, with Haddin as a trio of lack of class. Unfortunately the culture pervades throughout the team and Clarke has never stood up to it (not that I blame him entirely, its a bigger cultural problem within our cricket team and hierarchy than him) so when the young players come in they think the way to go is to have sky high egos (exhibit Maxwell). Sadly for me I find it's ruined most of the enjoyment I get from watching us win, even yesterday. Sure as an aussie I love seeing the country win, and boy do I love seeing us beat NZ, but thats as far as it goes, I find for me there's no emotional attachment anymore because you can't like let alone love such a bunch of arrogant tossers that represent us. You wouldn't think it would be that hard to get players who can dominate the opposition convincingly yet still be capable of winning with some class. Doubt the culture will be changing anytime soon though unfortunately.

It's not exactly surprising, the team is full of arrogant prats who behave like children out on the pitch and have egos the size of a country. Johnson and Warner are the worst of them, with Haddin as a trio of lack of class. Unfortunately the culture pervades throughout the team and Clarke has never stood up to it (not that I blame him entirely, its a bigger cultural problem within our cricket team and hierarchy than him) so when the young players come in they think the way to go is to have sky high egos (exhibit Maxwell). Sadly for me I find it's ruined most of the enjoyment I get from watching us win, even yesterday. Sure as an aussie I love seeing the country win, and boy do I love seeing us beat NZ, but thats as far as it goes, I find for me there's no emotional attachment anymore because you can't like let alone love such a bunch of arrogant tossers that represent us. You wouldn't think it would be that hard to get players who can dominate the opposition convincingly yet still be capable of winning with some class. Doubt the culture will be changing anytime soon though unfortunately.

I don't generally have that big an issue with sledging as such - I get more annoyed at teams that seem quite happy to have a crack but then sook as soon as it comes back. The indians are the worst for this and I don't think that other than Symonds with the monkey thing the Australians have ever really complained about being sledged (they have reacted to it though on the field)

That said, I found it refreshing that from the parts I watched of the NZ v SA game there was a distinct lack of hostility that seems commonplace in Australian games

You've ventured far PO. Can't say I've seen you here before.

I would concur that I don't think the culture will change anytime soon and that's because anecdotally it's prevalent in grassroots cricket as well. I played senior cricket for the first time as a 14 y.o and I remember getting 1-2 seasons grace max.

Then from that day forth you cop sledging by most teams, in most games, to most players. It's just become white noise now and I ignore it 99% of the time. It's got to the point where yellow and red cards are being introduced to local cricket leagues in an attempt to curb behaviour that crosses that line (bit like here with infractions).

Whether you like that aspect of the game or not and it appears you don't it's become ingrained in the fabric of the sport. Even back in the days of Trueman it was occurring.

Now as for this game I was quite upset and disappointed in particular in the post dismissal behaviour of Haddin. I mean it wasn't that long ago he was VC. To clap at the dismissed batsmen really does lack class.

You're right about Warner and I found this board amusing all summer when you'd read "* off Kohli" etc etc. yet on a few of those stoushes it was Warner who was the instigator yet I didn't see many similar comments directed at Warner.

Tbh I wish Warner in particular would just keep his mouth shut, how often have you seen Rogers for example act the same way, he just chugs along going about his business. He has class, class that probably comes with experience.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a rather anti-climactic and unamusing finish to the tournament in the end, I was looking forward to it all week but it was over after 3 balls and I was forced to seek thrills elsewhere. Kiwis punched above their weight throughout the competition but were never going to stand a chance on a proper cricket ground. I wish I could say it was the best World Cup I've ever seen, but I listened to more than 90% of it since it wasn't shown on god damn free to air. Full of memorable moments, exquisite skills and a new breed of one day player. Highlight was definitely when the whole world collectively lent our willpower to Bangladesh and they knocked England out in the group stages, that was great.

Australia played in the 1975 final, and nearly won it, except for sensational fielding from Viv Richards running out the Chappell brothers. I think you mean 1979.
They put on a reasonable score thanks to Thommo and Lillee, but Clive Lloyd saw that off. They played hard in those days, unfortunately they also drank hard so a lot of the guys probably wouldn't remember a lot of what happened afterwards, but I used to love switching on the old rank arena for reports of how many bones Thommo had broken

You've ventured far PO. Can't say I've seen you here before.

I would concur that I don't think the culture will change anytime soon and that's because anecdotally it's prevalent in grassroots cricket as well. I played senior cricket for the first time as a 14 y.o and I remember getting 1-2 seasons grace max.

Then from that day forth you cop sledging by most teams, in most games, to most players. It's just become white noise now and I ignore it 99% of the time. It's got to the point where yellow and red cards are being introduced to local cricket leagues in an attempt to curb behaviour that crosses that line (bit like here with infractions).

Whether you like that aspect of the game or not and it appears you don't it's become ingrained in the fabric of the sport. Even back in the days of Trueman it was occurring.

Now as for this game I was quite upset and disappointed in particular in the post dismissal behaviour of Haddin. I mean it wasn't that long ago he was VC. To clap at the dismissed batsmen really does lack class.

You're right about Warner and I found this board amusing all summer when you'd read "**** off Kohli" etc etc. yet on a few of those stoushes it was Warner who was the instigator yet I didn't see many similar comments directed at Warner.

Tbh I wish Warner in particular would just keep his mouth shut, how often have you seen Rogers for example act the same way, he just chugs along going about his business. He has class, class that probably comes with experience.
I love the witty sledges. However, the current crop of players are so in your face and rude. It wouldn't of surprised me if Guptill smacked Haddin with his bat ffs!

my feelings exactly. It's supposed to be our national cricket side but I despise the bogans

I say we should give him a go against he west indies this winter. If he goes well enough, he gets in, if he doesn't perform, he goes home.

Only on the grounds he agrees to place certain shots in the bag for his entire innings. As a fieldsman, he's one of the best I've seen, and when he just plays orthodox cricket shots he looks very impressive. You just cannot walk in at 3 and start playing reverse sweep shots in Test cricket, it's just not on. As I've said many times, we've all seen him play innings of 120 from 80 balls, etc, but what I'd really like to see him do one day is make 120 from 180 balls just to show he has that temperament.

You're right about Warner and I found this board amusing all summer when you'd read "**** off Kohli" etc etc. yet on a few of those stoushes it was Warner who was the instigator yet I didn't see many similar comments directed at Warner.

Not sure where you were, but there were plenty of derogatory comments made about Warner's behaviour. I know, I made a few myself. Sometimes we cross the line, sometimes the opposition do, but if people on this forum think Test cricket is going to revert back to the private school days of clapping the opposition captain and saying "jolly good shot", then they should go and watch something else. Test cricket is a highly emotional cauldron, just as the World Cup is. It is called "Test" cricket because you are pitting yourself against the best from other countries. A weakness in character is there to be exploited, just as any weakness in batting or bowling technique. Even at the level I played I was copping it left right and centre. If you don't have the strength of character to rise above it, then do something else. Just don't go running to mummy every time someone says boo!!

Not sure where you were, but there were plenty of derogatory comments made about Warner's behaviour. I know, I made a few myself. Sometimes we cross the line, sometimes the opposition do, but if people on this forum think Test cricket is going to revert back to the private school days of clapping the opposition captain and saying "jolly good shot", then they should go and watch something else. Test cricket is a highly emotional cauldron, just as the World Cup is. It is called "Test" cricket because you are pitting yourself against the best from other countries. A weakness in character is there to be exploited, just as any weakness in batting or bowling technique. Even at the level I played I was copping it left right and centre. If you don't have the strength of character to rise above it, then do something else. Just don't go running to mummy every time someone says boo!!
I missed a few key words there. Meant to read "anywhere near as many" point being that the vitriol on here towards Kohli was tenfold of that towards Warner. Seems unfair given Warner was just as bad if not worse than his Indian counterparts!

I missed a few key words there. Meant to read "anywhere near as many" point being that the vitriol on here towards Kohli was tenfold of that towards Warner. Seems unfair given Warner was just as bad if not worse than his Indian counterparts!

Warner cops more here than Kohli does from Indian fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back