News Round 9, 2015: Footy Jumper Discussion – Indigenous Round

Remove this Banner Ad

Link to story:
http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2015-05-14/giants-unveil-indigenous-jumper

This is the second year the GIANTS will wear a specially-designed jumper to commemorate the round, with this year’s jumper designed by Wagga Wagga’s Luke Penrith.

The jumper design incorporates the five rivers that run through the club’s region - the Georges River to the south, the Hawkesbury to the north, the Nepean to the west, the Parramatta River that runs through the heart of Greater Western Sydney and the Murrumbidgee River which runs through the ACT and the middle of the Riverina.

The photo isn't the greatest (in that, you can't see the back and don't really get to see the pattern unobstructed) but initially I really like it.

http://shop.gwsgiants.com.au/greate...dults-replica-indigenous-guernsey-94064.phtml

43005-greater-western-sydney-giants-2015-adults-replica-indigenous-guernsey-2000.jpg

43004-greater-western-sydney-giants-2015-adults-replica-indigenous-guernsey-2000.jpg

So I was having a look at this picture again and trying to figure out with jumpers were behind the Bulldogs one.

The second one is Adelaide and the fourth one is Gold Coast.

Any ideas or clues on what the third or fifth (last) one is?
Brisbane and richmond

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting. Two geometric indigenous designs from the Saints this year and last -- next to dot paintings from almost all other clubs... another sound and significant rationale... I must say, I like it.

I suppose there will come a time when these are worn permanently and the traditional strips come out once a year in the "Invasion Round"...

40692-st-kilda-saints-2015-adults-indigenous-guernsey-2000.jpg

This limited edition, club exclusive guernsey was designed by Marcus Lee and will be worn against the Brisbane Lions at the Gabba in Round 9 on Sunday 31 May.

Guernsey Design: Six Boonwurrung clans
This design concept represents the six clans of the Boonwurrung that now live in harmony. They are known as Yaluk-ut weelam, Ngurrak weelam, Mayune baluk, Boonwurrung baluk, Yawen djeera and Yaluk baluk. The design features six concentric circles that symbolically refers to the geographic layout of the Boonwurrung Bay region which extends along the northern, eastern and southern shorelines of Port Phillip, the Mornington Peninsula, Western Port and its two main islands, and land to the south-east down to Wilsons Promontory.

The Artist
Born and raised in Darwin NT, Marcus Lee is a descendant of the Karajarri people and is proud of his Aboriginal heritage. It was inevitable that those roots would pull at his art strings and take him and his design team into the evolving realm of communicating cultural diversity. This also brings with it the scope to participate within the commercial community helping to improve the living standards of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders.
My_991b1b_380020.jpg

I don't mind it. The pattern looks a lot nicer than last years. I feel like the sash should have kept the black outline but it does look cleaner so I'm kind of torn.

So much better than their actual clash.
I wouldn't be surprised if we dropped the heritage gimmick for an indigenous gimmick and started using this. As long as we're still not calling it a "clash" jumper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back