News 2015 injury thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Tigernova,
I have posed the question about whether Rocket will have to become the oldest playing coach in AFL history?
You from Newcastle mate? My uncle played for Central Newcastle in the 50s. Won a couple of premierships back then.

You from Newcastle mate? My uncle played for Central Newcastle in the 50s. Won a couple of premierships back then.
Tigernova,
I spent a couple of years there working for the state government - certainly NSW govt was a different place.
My youngest son played under age AFL for Newcastle (Carlton jumpers) at the Cricket ground.

Tigernova,
I spent a couple of years there working for the state government - certainly NSW govt was a different place.
My youngest son played under age AFL for Newcastle (Carlton jumpers) at the Cricket ground.
Yep, Carlton guernseys. Central Newcastle. I had an old photo of the premiership winning team and sent it to the club. They sent me a playing Guernsey in return. Too big for my young fella yet..

GetAttachment.aspx

I'm pretty sure it was Eade who said in response to a reporter asking if he came back too early "his shoulder was okay in training, it wasn't until he copped a few hard tackles in games that the shoulder really started to give him trouble". It was as if they expected that he would be exempt from tackles from the opposition, despite the reality being the exact opposite and that he would be head hunted and consciously targeted, just like all good players who are returning from injury are.

Of course his shoulder was going to be okay in training, the physical contact that they would have thrown at him would have been minimal compared to what the opposition were always going to through at him and not anywhere near replicable to what he was certain to receive in games. Very concerning that they would let him run out in that condition, there are no shortcuts around injuries like that, it's just utter incompetence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone else here believe (as I do) the huge spike in injury rates right across the AFL, is purely because of the flat out, high speed nature of the game, brought about by the interchange and the continual introduction of rested players?

Im fine with it.. Our year is a complete right off..
Much rather Ablett be fit and healthy for 2016 and hoppefully theres a few wins latter in this season
I am fine with him not playing but if there is one criticism I think he needs to be more visible around the coast selling the club, after all he is still getting paid a massive sum.

No a huge deal and perhaps I am being overly critical

I am fine with him not playing but if there is one criticism I think he needs to be more visible around the coast selling the club, after all he is still getting paid a massive sum.

No a huge deal and perhaps I am being overly critical

Iva,
I think what Ablett does in the media he does well but I don't think he is a natural to it.
I do wonder whether his media low profile might be because he is over being asked about his shoulder.
I also think that he is so focussed on getting his body right, given the perfectionist he is, that everything else pales into the background. My impression is his role has been largely about leadership on the field, doing what he does and encouraging/coaching others on the field. I do wonder when he can't do the on field stuff how that affects him?

Very surprised Brooksby hasn't been upgraded. He needs some games in the seniors to see if he's got the goods.

Nichols & Smith have no pressure apart from each other, and if we want to play 2 rucks there the only choice.

Look at the Hawks. Finally gave Ceglar a chance and he blew Hale out of the team.

Brooksby could end up being better than both Nichols or Smith?!

Iva,
I think what Ablett does in the media he does well but I don't think he is a natural to it.
I do wonder whether his media low profile might be because he is over being asked about his shoulder.
I also think that he is so focussed on getting his body right, given the perfectionist he is, that everything else pales into the background. My impression is his role has been largely about leadership on the field, doing what he does and encouraging/coaching others on the field. I do wonder when he can't do the on field stuff how that affects him?
Im sure I've read somewhere that Gaz believes it is time that the club start promoting their other young stars (Swallow, O'Meara, Martin etc) more as he heads towards the tail end of his career - might have been as part of his new contract negotiations. Pretty selfless and team-focussed attitude if you ask me. Problem is these guys are often injured and are yet to become superstars on-field. This, team's lowly ladder position and performances this year, as well as Gaz's shoulder makes it an awkward situation for the club to carry out much in the way of positive promotion. The players need to focus on getting fit and more durable first and foremost, before they can shine on-field, before they really become valuable promotional assets for the club.

Hey guys, Swallow was originally 8-10 weeks early in the month I believe, Is he still on track to return in 6-8 weeks or unknown at this stage? Thanks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back