Injury 2015 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Elephant in the room is Prudden really struggles to stay healthy and can never seem to link a good stretch of games together without an injury. Yes Wood had similar issues and got past them, but poor Josh can't seem to catch a break

"clean bill of health"

If one were to run down the list of articles relating to injury on the WB site, its easy to read that we "fingers crossed" are three games out from a finals campaign in excellent shape for a push on a premiership. Mind you, this is only one of the factors, but i can recall 2008-9-10 and the personnel out. The unfit players, the nigglers. One more factor reinforcing the the possibility of six straight wins followed by a million beers.

Our injuries are minimal impact

Libba - never played has not been missed because was never there. An yet, with libba in and jong out for example we could have easily 10-10.
Fletch - will come back fresh and ready and rested (remember the goal at punt road? - hes a big game player)
Roughy - I'm going to be honest - if everything has gone well as far as true rehab on the ailment - only then and only through the reserves, he cant play unfit, yes hes courageous, but he struggles more often than not - and ends up courageously beaten. No great loss, If i need a ruckman to help TC its a rabid Minson fresh eager and itching to get in after cooling his heels in the reserves. (btw I recon Big Will will be pivotal in the finals series - he may well be the one we roar the most lifting the cup at the end.). Im not fussed with roughy because he isn't that great a defender, he cant do to Mumford what Will did, and can do to anyone when switched on. He has no place forward, full stop.
Prud - yeah good honest hard worker, needs to come up to speed a bit and some form but we have guys who cover and actually do better right now so pruds is first drop and back when needed
Stevens - animal in hard tight great first half of the year, he can go missing or turnover a ball , its working better last 10 rounds than with him there, at least more often. Great fringe player never leading man. No loss other than him running around in the twos could be an option. Sometimes an injury forces you to reshuffle and get and even better result unfortunately i believe he was slowing us down. Too often the chain breaks down when Kobys around!
Clay - never caught the bus like libba
Mclean - 1st year showed more than promise a real keeper, but has worked better without than with so again not overly required.
JJ - reset reloaded ready to go well managed

In summation we could lose next 3 we could win next 6 and all the combinations in the middle, but this campaign is injury free to those who are needed, something that most Premiership teams need

Last edited:
An injury to a key player ( by that I mean one of our best 5-6) is what I'm most concerned about once we get to the finals. It would be pretty hollow if we got there but were playing without Wallis and Stringer for example.

I am slightly reassured that every time we've lost someone we have another player who has stepped in without missing a beat. Hoping that won't be needed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shattering news. Damn I hate ACL's. Is it still a legitimate 12 month injury? :/

Are rookie contracts one year? I hope we look after the bloke he has shown enough to sink the time into getting him right, physically and mentally.

Where is McLean at? Is he a chance for the VFL this week or next?

He's 1-2 weeks away, so maybe next week if footscray play. At worst, he should be back by the VFL prelim. Then give him another week in the VFL to find some form and win the VFL grand final, before coming into the AFL team for the AFL grand final the next week. Sounds like a plan :p
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/injury-news

Tom Campbell thigh available
Nathan Hrovat ankle test
Michael Talia ankle test
Josh Prudden hamstring 1 week
Toby McLean ac joint 1-2 weeks
Koby Stevens heel stress fracture indefinite
Tom Liberatore knee season
Clay Smith knee season
Roarke Smith knee season

It's a shame Koby is listed as indefinite now. It's hard to see him playing seniors again this year, especially since he'll need to build his fitness up again after the foot injury.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back