Injury 2015 Injury Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Not being a medical expert, was wondering are the legs being over trained (no fat left on the bone ) so that there just isn't enough give in them?
Strewth! When I was playing, had to train twice a week, then before a game had a couple of heart starters (beer) had me usual few **** (No not that :p ... cigarettes) & never suffered hammy problems. There again never moved out of my position much either (19th man):D

Was that with a RFL club? Or a RIFL club?

Don't know if you are physcic or not, but did play in the RFL as youngen. Most of senior footy was @ Bentleigh Vic. & Edgewater WA

Knew you were from there originally, remember from one of your posts.

BM wasn't it? o_O?

I think suggest these injuries are due to a failure of organization is a bit much at this stage. We have had a bad run so far, but so many of the injuries aren't long term, like Billings, Savage, Roberton or aren't really that serious like Webster's finger. It's just not an epidemic yet, don't let the AFL journos fool you into believing a scandal might be there when they want one to be.

Sure, but at what point is a bad run something more? Last year was a diabolical on the injury front as well. Actually, we have pretty much mismanaged injuries for the last decade. What if this happens next year, is it still just a bad run? Personally, I think 5 hammies in 2 weeks, on top of what happened last year injury wise is enough to conduct an urgent review of how we can be better at keeping blokes on the park.

I don't subscribe to the theory that this doesn't matter anyway as we are not a challenger for a few years. Ross and Markworth's injuries are immensely important, not because they will dictate where we finish this year, but because both of these blokes are at the crossroads (Markworth in particular). Ross was on the cusp of potentially a breakout year, instead he will come back without any match fitness late in the years, probably struggle, and in 12 months we are still wondering if the kid has what it takes as he has still yet to show us he is a consistent AFL performer.

If we expect to be good in 2017-2018, we need to start seeing massive improvement from a lot of our kids right now. It is not like all of a sudden we are going to have a lot of players rock up in 3 years time and they are suddenly awesome. They need to be on the park getting experience, getting better, becoming confident they belong at this level. These injuries won't impact our ladder position this year, but they are still a significant blow.

Last edited:
So;

Markworth: season
Murdoch: indefinite
Gilbert: indefinite
Ray: 10-12 weeks
Ross: 10-12 weeks
Siposs: 10-12 weeks
Webster: 5 weeks
Billings: 4 weeks
Savage: 4 weeks
Roberton: 2 weeks

And Riewoldt on indefinite compassionate leave.

That about right?

F#*k. :mad:

Apologies if it's been covered, does anyone know what's happened to McKenzie, not on the injury list yet not playing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He did gilbert turn into indefinite ?
Because of the sheer amount of 'setbacks' he's had, and the fact that bone-related foot injuries are generally notoriously poor healers.

Because of the sheer amount of 'setbacks' he's had, and the fact that bone-related foot injuries are generally notoriously poor healers.
Agreed feet injuries have got to be the most underrated injury to ruin a career

Looking for upside on Ross’ injury –

10 weeks off the track takes him up to mid-May. Potentially he could be fully fit by mid-July for the last 6 weeks of the season. Get 6 games under the belt.

Better than nothing.

He can work on his upper body strength whilst in rehab.

Also gives Minchington and Sinclair a chance to start in the midfield.

Forces the review into injuries to be even more forensic.

:rolleyes:

So which members jinxed us and said "with less injuries this year we'll be a much better side blah blah"?

I think that thought ran through the head of a lot of us. I know I'd made a few posts expressing that and I believe it would make a difference if we were to have a good run with injuries. Unfortunately though it seems like that ship has already sailed. Maybe I did jinx us, who knows? :oops:

Ross also has the next few years as well. I think they're pretty confident in Seb as a player, there's not much doubt about his contested ball work it's whether he could get outside ball as well and that comes with preseasons. Frustrating but we've got time.

Ross injury is so disappointing. He finally was looking in very good touch and ping goes the hammy. :(

Not being a medical expert, was wondering are the legs being over trained (no fat left on the bone ) so that there just isn't enough give in them?
Strewth! When I was playing, had to train twice a week, then before a game had a couple of heart starters (beer) had me usual few **** (No not that :p ... cigarettes) & never suffered hammy problems. There again never moved out of my position much either (19th man):D
Thats sort of it in a nut shell really .. AFL is so extreme nowdays that they are high intensity athletes whos bodies are pushed to the edge all the time.
Like 100mt runners who are so finely tuned that thier bodies are prone to muscle tears .
Theres probably a lot of injury prone guys like X.Clarke for example , who if he hadve played in the 80's may have got more out of his body because it wouldnt have been tuned as tightly as a violin string.
Mind you some players like David Schwarze who had wonky knees probably wouldve struggled in any era.
Its amazing how much the training has intensified over the last 20 yrs.
Harvey was amazing to push himself like he did and still play so many games. He was a freak.

Im not sure where you guys are getting "last 6 matches of the year" from. He is listed as 10 - 12 weeks on the injury list which generally is a "return to game" timetable. He should be fit for VFL within 12 weeks and ease him back in but he is not going to miss the year due to a hammy.

Harves had his share of injuries too

99-2002 he missed huge chunks.... Shoulder, knee, calf injuries

89 he missed half a season... He did hammys and quads in other years.

Minus his knee.... Just imagine... We wouldn't have got our PPs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back