2015 is THE most important year of Dimma's reign

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 15, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Fulham FC, Real Madrid
put simply, we must win at least 1-2 finals next year.

we are still a club that big names do not want to go to. while we have made finals for the last 2 years, and are improving, the humiliating losses in the elim finals have left a sour taste in supporters mouths, and hesitance from players that we would be thinking of trading for in the next few years.
if we want to have good players, especially ones from GWS and GC that are going to be getting traded/walking in the next few years, we NEED to be a team that people know success is ingrained in.
Hawks can basically recruit anyone for little money at the moment, as they know they are playing in a team that will win premierships, or at least compete for. other clubs that are rebuilding have money to throw at other players, but we are somewhere in between at the moment; we dont have money to throw at mercenaries, and dont have the success factor to recruit gun players who want to win premierships.
at the end of 2013, we had started to create that atmosphere, and while we made finals again this year, we actually have gone backwards due to the horrible start and the elim final thumping. we essentially took 2 steps back this year.
with interstate teams having easy access to players with the 'go home' factor, we are fighting with 9 other clubs to get victorian players to nominate us.
We need to win some finals, and soon, to show other players we are the club to go to.

2015 must be the year we send a message out to the comp, that the Richmond of old has re-awoken, and we are hungry again.

I actually think he is gone regardless. His strategy simply is not plausible with no backing in terms of track record. The only question is 2015 or 2016 IMO, running around at 80% probability!

His only shot is if Cockatoo provides a real lift, a few other diamonds emerge and the other youngsters we have improved.

Finals are meaningless, look at North Melbourne!!! They are 10+ years away from a premiership!!

I actually not sure Dimma and co know what it takes to win truely.

When he won at the Bombers and Port he was part of it, a contributor, but the real drivers where Hird, Mercuri, Lucas and Lloyd etc,,, and when he won at Port likewise he was second fiddle to other stars. Maybe he is overstating his role as a battler against the quality star power input of onfield drivers like Fletcher, Wanganeen and others and this is reflected in the safe types recruited.

As closer to a passenger with some of these efforts even with Clarkson at Hawthorn I am not sure he really grasps the essence of what drives teams to ultimate victory on the field in the moment.

I think he has an understanding of what it takes to get players to play at professional AFL level at high level but I am yet to be convinced he really gets how premiership teams really win and are forged in terms of the critical efforts on the field across the field on balance relative to each other. This is part of the reason I am not buying into this RFC build atm in terms of premiership capability and the fact many methods selected such as an overuse of recycled players tend to reinforce my perception IMO.

Last edited:

When he won at the Bombers and Port he was part of it, a contributor, but the real drivers where Hird, Mercuri, Lucas and Lloyd etc,,, and when he won at Port likewise he was second fiddle to other stars. Maybe he is overstating his role as a battler against the quality star power input of onfield drivers like Fletcher, Wanganeen and others and this is reflected in the safe types recruited.

As closer to a passenger with some of these efforts even with Clarkson at Hawthorn I am not sure he really grasps the essence of what drives teams to ultimate victory on the field in the moment.

I think he has an understanding of what it takes to get players to play at professional AFL level at high level but I am yet to be convinced he really gets how premiership teams really win and are forged in terms of the critical efforts on the field across the field on balance relative to each other. This is part of the reason I am not buying into this RFC build atm in terms of premiership capability and the fact many methods selected such as an overuse of recycled players tend to reinforce my perception IMO.
Of course this is just your opinion and lets be honest you have never been a fan of Hardwick, so your opinion is at the least, slightly biased.

Of course this is just your opinion and lets be honest you have never been a fan of Hardwick, so your opinion is at the least, slightly biased.

Lets be honest, my perception has waned relatively recently over his tenure. It started declining with Chaplin and moreso Hampson as well as other performances, decisions and rhetoric but there were doubts from the start chasing Nason and others. Fact is I am just an independent impartial observer drawing conclusions from a period of decisions of time in the ssessment of a body of work.(please feel free to check my previous posts over the tenure). There is a reasonable lengthy cumulative body of work to form some opinions on now IMO.

Last edited:

Showing young age but anyway. When was the last time a premiership coach was as instrumental to a side as a player. Lethal is the only one that comes to mind. From what I have read Bomber and Clarko were good players but not on the level of Hird or Wanganeen when they played

Lets be honest, my perception has waned relatively recently over his tenure. It started declining with Chaplin and moreso Hampson as well as other performances, decisions and rhetoric but there were doubts from the start chasing Nason and others. Fact is I am just an independent impartial observer drawing conclusions from a period of decisions of time in the ssessment of a body of work.(please feel free to check my previous posts over the tenure). There is a reasonable lengthy cumulative body of work to form some opinions on now IMO.

Chaplin has had a few bad games last year but he has been reasonably good most of the time, Hampson not so much although you never know he may still turn things around and surprise us all, the facts are that in Hardwicks time at the club we have gone from being in competition with Melbourne as to who would fold first, worse than Fitzroy most said, to playing in back to back finals, Hardwick deserves the chance he has been given to continue our improvement IMO.

Showing young age but anyway. When was the last time a premiership coach was as instrumental to a side as a player. Lethal is the only one that comes to mind. From what I have read Bomber and Clarko were good players but not on the level of Hird or Wanganeen when they played

You would have to go back to the last player coach.

I am not saying Dimma can't coach because he is was not champion player. As you rightly put plenty of good coaches are not champion players and usually a non champion player coach who is good as a coach see things champion players miss as they need to see things more to develop as a player to develop and bring this enhanced understanding in as a coach while some champion players as coaches seem to just miss seeing what they need to see because they expect everything to be natural as players. However, Dimma seems to miss what they need to see and his obsession with a battler seems profound as is his apparent lack of faith in youngsters in the draft. There is room for a battler or two in a team with enhanced drive but not a team of battlers in a championship team! For example Dimma compared to Malthouses attitude towards youngsters seem at polar opposites and neither were champion players regarding opportunity for them to develop. Dimma had Ellis as a sub forever while Malthouse had a history of throwing them in the deep end.

Dimma seems to be building a list that simply is not capable of winning anything significant and really a lot of our development IMO is on the back of our first rounder's natural progression many of which were selected before Dimma's tenure. But there are plenty of other things like playing Lids in the backline, taking forever for Dusty to play more in the forward line, taking forever to give Griffiths a go etc... etc...

The only thing he really nailed was recognizing our Ruck was absolute crap before Maric and getting a boost with Maric coming in IMO.

I look at Buckley versus Dimma and I am not sure who is the better coach but I think Buckley has a better idea of bringing a list together to win a premiership even though IMO his decisions have not been flawless either. What he has done replacing Harry O, Beams and Shaw will be fantastic for the Pies long term IMO. I am not sure Dimma has the presence to make the player decisions that need to be made and whether Dimma is playing a more short term political game! I believe in Buckley's vision even though it has not been flawless either! I believe in the Bulldogs vision even though again it is not flawless likewise the Saints but I can't see the RFC's vision getting up. RFC's potential is being crippled by the procurement of short term mature average types IMO Danny Frawley style all over again!

Another issue I have clearly is the number of players on our list over 196cm. Maric, Hampson, TV, Griffiths , McBean, Elton, Soldo, is absurd!! If this group is not culled in 3-4 years even if Maric retires it will be ridiculous!!! But as I have stated in other posts we lack versatility and mobility within our big guys anyway so even if they succeed individually they can't all succeed together as a group on field in the same team!

IMO the inappropriate list decisions has made our promising premiership timeframes virtually impossible because of misguided selections like Hampson and Chaplin and a general lack of upside in players recruited nulifying the potential development of the team individually and collectively such as getting Nason and others. On top of not giving our youngsters sufficient opportunity to grow it makes it very difficult for our team to develop and improve IMO.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would back Dimma 100% even if we go slightly backwards next year. Must honour his contract.

Focus on everything around him and get the club right, he's improved us massively since he arrived.

Very important year for Dimma. Competition for finals will be just as hard... if not harder.

I seriously think Dimma's obsession with contested ball and stoppages will hold us back.... he really needs to look at the games we won last half of his first year. When his kicking game plan and run and carry was at its best with a lot worse list. Needs to go back to basics. I am hopeful he learnt from last year.

This is why AFL players get a month or so off at the end of each season. That way they avoid losing their minds like most posters on here.

Don't really feel like our list demands prelim/gf success. Probably good enough to get there, but if we didn't it wouldn't be a St Kilda 2005-2011 travesty.

Even if we go backwards next year would rather we honoured his contract instead of wasting member dollars on a contract payout when I highly doubt any other coach we could land would provide the lift to make it worth it.

Providing we dont give coaches stupid extention like we did last December..... If we dont make the 8 next year would you honour Dimma's contract for 2016?

I would honour Dimma's contract for 2016 even if we finished 14th next year.

To underperform so badly would mean we have a club-wide problem, so sacking the coach is just too easy of a solution that won't work. Meanwhile, we already know he's a decent enough coach and can handle the heat (great coaching at 3-10 somehow revived an angry club)

Very important year for Dimma. Competition for finals will be just as hard... if not harder.

I seriously think Dimma's obsession with contested ball and stoppages will hold us back.... he really needs to look at the games we won last half of his first year. When his kicking game plan and run and carry was at its best with a lot worse list. Needs to go back to basics. I am hopeful he learnt from last year.
How do you think we got the ball to kick and run and carry? Asked for it back? Someone else could have the stats handy, but I reckon our contested ball and stoppage stats in those last nine games far outweighed the first 12.

re: the OP, while success will obviously help for us to be seen as a competive,going somewhere destination for players to nominate to come to...i think much more of that is work put in behind the scenes.
In the last two trade periods, a few have nominated Carlton as preffered destination..i mean Carlton, what the hell have they got going for them?
Methinks most of that work is behind the scenes...and very little to do with culchya, and premiership windows

I would honour Dimma's contract for 2016 even if we finished 14th next year.

To underperform so badly would mean we have a club-wide problem, so sacking the coach is just too easy of a solution that won't work. Meanwhile, we already know he's a decent enough coach and can handle the heat (great coaching at 3-10 somehow revived an angry club)

So you what continue to reward 6 years a failure into a 7th season? I wish you were my employer.

How do you think we got the ball to kick and run and carry? Asked for it back? Someone else could have the stats handy, but I reckon our contested ball and stoppage stats in those last nine games far outweighed the first 12.

Winning contested possession has never been our problem.... It was the way we used the ball when we had it.... trying to hug the boundary and create stoppages... etc. I think I have been over it enough. Go back and read my Dear Dimma thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back