2015 Ladder Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Plus Tom Liberatore (their best mid) is out with an ACL injury for the year.

Griffen, Liberatore, Cooney, Higgins out of the team.

Bont is good, heaps of hype around him and it's deserved, but I wonder if he can do it for a whole season (carry the midfield ). Macrae has potential but he's a taggable player. Brett Goodes is being talked up for a senior spot and games! That's stretching.
Macrae is the most underrated on our list, especially with bont getting the headlines
Watch Mitch Wallis take over libbas role
Our forward structure is so much better with boyd in the team, don't write the dogs off as spooners just yet, Beveridge is the best thing to happen to this footy club in a long time, he's a players coach and they are all buying into the game plan

Plus Tom Liberatore (their best mid) is out with an ACL injury for the year.

Griffen, Liberatore, Cooney, Higgins out of the team.

Bont is good, heaps of hype around him and it's deserved, but I wonder if he can do it for a whole season (carry the midfield ). Macrae has potential but he's a taggable player. Brett Goodes is being talked up for a senior spot and games! That's stretching.

Fair call. Midfield will feel the pressure of the best players leaving/injured. Morris only real defender consistent week to week

Macrae is the most underrated on our list, especially with bont getting the headlines
Our forward structure is so much better with boyd in the team, don't write the dogs off as spooners just yet, Beveridge is the best thing to happen to this footy club in a long time, he's a players coach and they are all buying into the game plan
Literally everyone rates Macrae as Bulldogs best player, will most likely get the tag.

Dogs won't do well but they won't be bottom. Even without griffen, jones and Libba they are still ahead of saints, melbourne and maybe gws.

Curious as to why people have richmond dropping off? No players of note that are reaching a likely dropoff due to age, a list in their prime and arguably one of the strongest sides in the latter half of last year.

Seems to be not much reason to mark them down other than their historical failures? Lids, cotch, martin and ellis in the mids, rance maric riewoldt in the spine - what is their glaring weakness?

Curious as to why people have richmond dropping off? No players of note that are reaching a likely dropoff due to age, a list in their prime and arguably one of the strongest sides in the latter half of last year.

Seems to be not much reason to mark them down other than their historical failures? Lids, cotch, martin and ellis in the mids, rance maric riewoldt in the spine - what is their glaring weakness?

I'd have them 6-9. Their weakness is the same as most of those teams after the top 6 or so, their players 10-22 aren't that good. Should still be there or abouts for the finals though.

Because it's really, really funny to tip Richmond to finish 9th.

Well you finished 14th and have lost a Brownlow medalist, a top 15 midfielder in the comp and Shaun Higgins. Last is not out of the picture.
Listen to BF, Higgins Is a spud who gets injured too easily when he wears a North jumper, and is a loss to the Bulldog at the same time.

I think the top five are

Hawthorn
North
Port
Sydney
Fremantle

Hawthorn the outright favourites, the other four could end up in any order depending on Luck and injuries.

I am bemused to those who have us dropping down the ladder this year. I just can no see where we have gone backwards.

Greenwood left and Harvey turns 37 in May...

Still the other players are good enough that it probably won't matter.

Those who think they'll drop down either haven't looked at their draw or thought they over performed last year (which isn't outrageous considering they just beat an old underdone team in finals and just beat a side fighting a legal battle, they then got exposed by a good side from that year when thrashed by Sydney). I think it's hard to argue they'll drop down the ladder as they can beat good sides in regular season but maybe people have them lower as their final ladder as they have and could easily get exposed again when the bright lights get a bit brighter in finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Listen to BF, Higgins Is a spud who gets injured too easily when he wears a North jumper, and is a loss to the Bulldog at the same time.

I think the top five are

Hawthorn
North
Port
Sydney
Fremantle

Hawthorn the outright favourites, the other four could end up in any order depending on Luck and injuries.

I am bemused to those who have us dropping down the ladder this year. I just can no see where we have gone backwards.

Maybe it is something to do with North's Jekyll and Hyde persona. Most inconsistent unreliable team to pick in the last 3-4 years. Last year there was a slight improvement in consistency. Still a bit untrustworthy imo.

As far as going past Port you have not and will not. Swans I don't know tbh ? But I know Waite and Higgins wont make up the 12 goals you were in arrears after the Prelim last year.

Potentially the 4th or 5th edition of my ladder in this thread but what the heck, post-NAB Challenge.

1. Sydney
2. North Melbourne
3. Hawthorn
4. Port Adelaide
5. Fremantle
6. Gold Coast
7. Geelong
8. Adelaide

9. Richmond
10. West Coast
11. Brisbane
12. Collingwood
13. Western Bulldogs
14. Carlton
15. GWS
16. Melbourne
17. St Kilda
* Essendon

* Essendon 6-9th if they get off, 10-18th if they receive a 6+week ban.

Port Adelaide
Hawthorn
Geelong
Sydney
North Melbourne
Adelaide
Collingwood
Gold Coast
Richmond
Fremantle
West Coast
Brisbane
Carlton
GWS
Bulldogs
Melbourne
St Kilda
Essendon

Greenwood left and Harvey turns 37 in May...

Still the other players are good enough that it probably won't matter.
+ Higgins, + Waite, + fit and available Swallow and Wells, + 1 additional years experience for all the young-mid aged players, + confidence from two finals wins, + incentive to improve after PF, + knowing if they do improve it's a GF appearance or P'ship.

Your leading gpal

Your leading goalkicker from 2014 (by a long way) is a 50-50 chance to get banned for a chunk of the season. Boyd has what, 9 games to date? Plus you've only had 2 nab cup games with him, ridiculous to say you can see he improves the forward structure in 2 mickey mouse games. Everyone says that about their new coach.

I don't think Dogs will finish 18th but it's hardly a shock prediction FFS. Don't read a predictions thread if you're going to get upset when someone predicts your bottom 4 team that has lost it's 2 best mids, 2 solid mid/flankers, it's experienced sub player (=4th best goalkicker) and a chance to lose its best goalkicker to come last.

Stringer, Macrae and Bont will be 10+ year champions, but I wonder if far too much pressure is being given to them. Bontempelli seems like he will deal with it ok but a prolonged adjustment for the other 2 is likely/reasonable as well

+ Higgins, + Waite, + fit and available Swallow and Wells, + 1 additional years experience for all the young-mid aged players, + confidence from two finals wins, + incentive to improve after PF, + knowing if they do improve it's a GF appearance or P'ship.
Lol Waites 30 of and still called mr potential. When are people going to realise he is no good

I think the top five are

Hawthorn
North
Port
Sydney
Fremantle

Or maybe people have different opinions.

Or maybe he can be a short term loss to the Dogs with some experience and depth, but still not be good enough to make a difference at North.

Who knows.

I think the top five are

Hawthorn
North
Port
Sydney
Fremantle

I am bemused to those who have us dropping down the ladder this year.

I have you in the eight - But no where near 2nd

Lol Waites 30 of and still called mr potential. When are people going to realise he is no good
Yes, but 'on his day'. ;) If you need to, subtract him then, and still look at the gist of my post, and what it was responding to. The original comment was why should we expect North to move ahead. I've given some suggested reasons. Take 'em or leave 'em.

Finally got around to doing mine. I have a few controversial picks, purely because the ladder never looks how you expect it to, there's always a big jumper, and a couple of sliders.
Please don’t be offended, if I have your team lower than you expect them to be.
Sorry for any errors, as I rushed through the analysis quite quickly.

Come at me bros.

1st Hawthorn - Pains me to say this, but the reigning premiers will finish on top, no weaknesses on their list, great coach. No reason why they can't win again. Only injuries Sydney, or Port Adelaide can stop them.

2nd Port Adelaide - As mentioned, Port are primed for a killer year. Young stars all over the list. Gray, Hartlett, Wingard and Wines are all stars. reminds me of the 1993 baby Bombers outfit that outpaced and outlasted the rest of the pack in a close year.

3rd Geelong- Anyone who says these guys are going down the ladder this year is a fool. Bartel, Johnson and Enright might be old, but they're great players, class is permanent. Selwood only gets better, as does Harry Taylor and Tomahawk. Mitch Duncan is going to have a huge year. Outstanding list depth and balance.

4th Sydney - Best midfield in the competition. Great KPF's I really think Mumford was the big difference between a contender and a winning side. If Tom Mitchell can’t crack your midfield, you’re a good side. Could just kill it and go undefeated. Dangerous team.

5th Adelaide- My smokie for the year to do a ladder jump, there's one every year. Walker as captain will bring back their swagger from a few years back. Dangerfield, Sloane, Talia, Jacobs, Thompson, Betts, Jaensch, Smith and Wright are all great players. Josh Jenkins is huge for their structure. Crouch brothers are young guns.

6th Essendon* – We all know what the asterisk is. If the Bombers have their charges dropped somehow, then their window is open, the team will be galvanized and bolstered and will feel like they can conquer anything. Heppell, Watson, Goddard, Chapman, Cooney, Hooker, Carlisle, Hurley and Hibberd are all great players. The big query I have is the pace in the side. Teams like Hawthorn, Gold Coast and Port Adelaide will carve them up. Need to start absolutely thrashing bad teams.

7th Fremantle – Window is closing quickly, I have them as my big slipper (as controversial as it is). This could be their last chance. Potentially Pavlich and Sandiland’s last year, they need Taberner, Walters and other bit part players to take the next step in order for them to have another go at it. Hard to beat at home, but beatable when away. Don’t know if Lyon has the ability to go all the way. They might make me look stupid as they have a great blend of youth and experience. Fyfe will be the best player in the competition by years end, another AFL Coaches MVP incoming (the Brownlow that matters).

8th Collingwood – List is still very solid, good enough to top 10, have them getting into the 8 purely because Cloak, Pendlebury and Swan are as good a 3 players as any team has. Questions on depth and Buckley’s game time coaching. Amazed by the amount of people who have Collingwood bottom 5.

9th Richmond – Good list on paper, the thing that worries me about Richmond is expectation. They’re the best underdogs in the competition, fantastic at beating teams they shouldn’t. However, when they’re expected to succeed. If they break this mental barrier, they could top 4.

10th Gold Coast – Still so young. Scary skill and pace in this team. Really need to see their new gameplan under Eade before an assessment can be made. Bennell and Prestia will become elite players this year. Gary Ablett might finally have a lot of help.

11th North Melbourne – Midfield is questionable, Swallow being the only experienced gun. Ziebell great, but is always injured or suspended. Cunnington should take a big step this year towards becoming an elite extractor. Losing Greenwood really hurt their structure, maybe Mullet or Bastinac can take that spot? Goldstein could be AA this year. Petrie is the biggest enigma in the competition. Some days looks like Carey, other days looks like Kepler.

12th West Coast – Similar to North Melbourne, but with better KPP’s. Their team balance is worrying as their midfield is shocking. I know he won the Brownlow, but if Priddis is your best midfield by a long shot, you’re in trouble. Gaff, Wellingham, Sheed and Shuey need to take big steps for them to rise up the ladder. McKenzie going down doesn’t bode well for their year.

13th Brisbane – Best young midfield in the competition except maybe the Bulldogs, lacking the key position players. Beams, Christensen and Robinson all great pick-ups, they’ll surprise a few. Might beat a Geelong or Hawthorn at some stage. If they pick up a good key forward and backman, they could be top 8 in 2016.

14th GWS – Griffin is a big pick up for the Giants, such a stupidly high ceiling. They have a strong core of players in Ward, Cameron, Mumford and Griffin. Just too many young players that need that 75+ games to be experienced enough to compete. Future powerhouse.

15th Footscray – If I could choose any team to coach from scratch, this would be the team, Bontempelli, Macrae, Liberatore, Boyd, Talia, Hrovat and Stringer. Look at that, that’s the best young side apart from GWS and Gold Coast. Will be very strong in 5 years. Liberatore going down has really damaged their season.

16th Carlton – I don’t know what to say about Carlton, in a rebuild phase, have been for 15 years. In my opinion, the game has gone past Malthouse. Judd might show glimpses of his former self. I believe the club went backward by getting rid of Garlett. Robinson was their only true hard nut.

17th St. Kilda – Ross Lyon left this squad in a shocking state. Jack Steven, a couple of star youngsters and the old campaigner Nick Riwoldt are the only ones keeping them off the bottom of the ladder. One of about 4 (including Essendon) that could get the spoon.

18th Melbourne – Paul Roos has the unfortunate task of trying to rebuild this squad, years of horrible recruiting decisions and failed list management have left this team desolate of talent. Nathan Jones would be a star in any other team and should be a given lifetime membership for sticking around.

Individual Awards:

Rising star: Nakia Cockatoo – Predicting a Cyril like first year for this fella. Geelong won’t be worried about the loss of Christensen after this kid takes the
Smokie: Martin Gleeson – Will play 18+ games for the bombers, lightly framed but has the poise of a Heppell in traffic, great vision, turn of pace and delivers the ball on a dime.

Brownlow: Jordan Lewis – Can see him having a phenomenal season, is now Hawthorn’s best midfielder. Fyfe will get suspended again because he goes so hard at the ball.
Smokie: Andrew Swallow – North will win enough games, he’s their standout A-grade midfielder. Not many will steal votes from him. @$41; get on him.

Coleman: Jack Riewoldt – Will win his 3rd criminally underrated.
Smokie: Jeremy Cameron – Hardly a smokie, but smokies never win the Coleman.

First AA: Michael Hibberd, Callan Ward, Jackson Macrae

Remove this Banner Ad

Back