Dockernut

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sharks. Anyone playing West Coast.
Interesting article. Here's my prediction.

Hawthorn
Sydney
North
Gold Coast

Fremantle
Port
Geelong
Richmond

Essendon
Adelaide
Brisbane
West Coast
GWS
Collingwood
Carlton
Western Bulldogs
StKilda
Melbourne

That's some serious analysis in that link. Obviously doesnt take into account list changes and injuries but still looks decent. Will be interesting to see how close it gets to the mark.

I unfortunately think we will finish inside the 6... Such an even year looking ahead. Past years clubs like Tigers have a comical losing streaks, North choke against lesser sides and the new clubs are more of a known this year then years past.

We need to be seriously on for the good part of the year - have a great run with injuries and win everything at home

Sydney, Hawthorn and Port Adelaide are the top three teams in the comp IMO. I expect Geelong, North and us to make the finals again with the final two spots to be taken by two of Richmond, Essendon, Gold Coast, West Coast or Adelaide.

I think we will be in the top six.

It's shaping as a pretty difficult season to predict this year, so I have dug up this amazing blog with lots of stats and maths talk and s**t. Anyway, gives you a real insight into how the draw can impact a team's ultimate ladder position:

http://www.matterofstats.com/mafl-s...2015-afl-draw-schedule-strength-and-imbalance

Thought some might find it interesting.

Ta for the link. Happy to answer any quessies about the "maths talk and s**t"; that's kinda what I do for a living.

Today's post on the site explaining a bit more about the tips, predictions and wagers on the site might help a bit (see http://www.matterofstats.com/mafl-w...to-matterofstats-predictions-and-team-ratings).

Always happy to answer questions, respond to emails or reply to comments.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Y
Ta for the link. Happy to answer any quessies about the "maths talk and s**t"; that's kinda what I do for a living.

Today's post on the site explaining a bit more about the tips, predictions and wagers on the site might help a bit (see http://www.matterofstats.com/mafl-w...to-matterofstats-predictions-and-team-ratings).

Always happy to answer questions, respond to emails or reply to comments.

Your reply to a comment regarding 6 day breaks possibly being an advantage or less of a disadvantage than popular perception, surely can't be true for interstate teams travelling with a short break.

Hawthorn
Sydney
Freo
Port
North
Gold Coast
Richmond
Adelaide

Essendon
Geelong
Brisbane
Eagles
Bulldogs
Collingwood
Carlton
Melbourne
GWS
Saints

Personally I don't think Port are as good as everyone makes them out to be but I can't really see anyone else around 5-8 making the jump. North on their day can be as good as anyone but I don't really rate their forward line enough to jump up above us or Port.

I don't think the Eagles will improve but being massive flat track bullies they'll get at least a comfortable 9 wins or so. Bulldogs I can see being big improvers this season while I think Collingwood will stay rather mediocre.

Port not in the 4?

Controversial, I know. I just feel like their blessed run with injury flattered them last year - both their lack of injuries and they also seemed to meet teams at the right time (eg. their win over Hawthorn came when Hawthorn had their longest injury list of the year). When they did have a couple of injuries, they lost 6 out of 7 games. They've only won one of their last 5 games against last year's top 6. I don't doubt they're a good side, just not at the same level as the top 2, about the same level as us.

IMO, Hawthorn are miles ahead of the pack. Then Sydney. Then 7 other teams. Then the rest.

Controversial, I know. I just feel like their blessed run with injury flattered them last year - both their lack of injuries and they also seemed to meet teams at the right time (eg. their win over Hawthorn came when Hawthorn had their longest injury list of the year). When they did have a couple of injuries, they lost 6 out of 7 games. They've only won one of their last 5 games against last year's top 6. I don't doubt they're a good side, just not at the same level as the top 2, about the same level as us.

IMO, Hawthorn are miles ahead of the pack. Then Sydney. Then 7 other teams. Then the rest.

Fair enough mate you do a persuasive argument for your response.

Freo
Hawthorn
Sydney
Port
Geelong
North
Gold Coast
Adelaide

Biased view, but I think we'll be pushing for a flag this year

Hawthorn
Sydney

North
Port
Freo

Geelong
Adelaide
Richmond
Gold Coast

West Coast
Brisbane
Collingwood

GWS
Carlton
Bulldogs

Melbourne
Saints
Essendon

Y

Your reply to a comment regarding 6 day breaks possibly being an advantage or less of a disadvantage than popular perception, surely can't be true for interstate teams travelling with a short break.

That's an interesting question. The evidence seems to be that it's the travel itself far more than the days' rest before it that matters (though, to be fair, I've not tested to see if the two have a compounding effect.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back