2015 Lions Reserves and NEAFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Can the reserves fill a team this week. IIRC the Qld under 18s will be in Victoria as well.

Can the reserves fill a team this week. IIRC the Qld under 18s will be in Victoria as well.

Qld - Victoria Point - Redlands ground - 11.00am (Sat) vs Dandenong Stingrays

Side as listed on NEAFL site (make of it what you will .....)

FB
43. Josh McGuinness
45. Jordon Bourke
48.Hugh Beasley
HB
57. Tom Rolls
39.Jackson Paine
36.Matt Maguire
C
4.James Aish
50. Isaiah Edwards
47.Zac O’Brien
HF
19.Josh Clayton
35.Ryan Lester
46.Billy Evans
FF
40. Matt Hammmelmann
14.Brent Staker
17.Claye Beams
Rucks
23.Matthew Leuenberger
55. Luca Mason
58.Luke Penberthy
Interchange From;
2.Ryan Harwood
24.Liam Dawson
5.Mitch Robinson
28.Lewis Taylor
Emergencies
56.Blake Hartley
29.Henry Leong
53.Daniel Daye
54.Jacob Watson
51. Jack Mammone
52.Luke O’Sullivan

Side as listed on NEAFL site (make of it what you will .....)

FB
43. Josh McGuinness
45. Jordon Bourke
48.Hugh Beasley
HB
57. Tom Rolls
39.Jackson Paine
36.Matt Maguire
C

4.James Aish
50. Isaiah Edwards
47.Zac O’Brien
HF
19.Josh Clayton
35.Ryan Lester
46.Billy Evans
FF
40. Matt Hammmelmann
14.Brent Staker
17.Claye Beams
Rucks

23.Matthew Leuenberger
55. Luca Mason
58.Luke Penberthy
Interchange From;
2.Ryan Harwood
24.Liam Dawson
5.Mitch Robinson
28.Lewis Taylor
Emergencies

56.Blake Hartley
29.Henry Leong
53.Daniel Daye
54.Jacob Watson
51. Jack Mammone
52.Luke O’Sullivan

Yeah, nah; that won't be the team :confused:

This season they seem to be naming the whole interchange bench of the seniors in the NEAFL team list so it has less predictive powers as previous years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4 Emergencies to be included
14 Listed players

FB
43. Josh McGuinness
45. Jordon Bourke
48. Hugh Beasley
HB
57. Tom Rolls
39. Jackson Paine
36. Matt Maguire
C
??????????
50. Isaiah Edwards
47. Zac O’Brien
HF
19. Josh Clayton
35. Ryan Lester
46. Billy Evans
FF
40. Matt Hammmelmann
14. Brent Staker
??????????
Rucks
23. Matthew Leuenberger
55. Luca Mason
58. Luke Penberthy
Interchange From;
2. Ryan Harwood
24. Liam Dawson
??????????
??????????

Emergencies
56. Blake Hartley
29 .Henry Leong
53. Daniel Daye
54. Jacob Watson
51. Jack Mammone
52. Luke O’Sullivan

Ugh, Ainslie w***ers.

A game we should have won easily. Extremely poor kicking for goal, especially from Staker. Also ran out of steam in the last

Don't know what to make of this bloke. He is an imposing physical hunk of manhood, honed to within an inch of perfection. I have no doubt he would be the trainers' favourite- weights, running, you name it, he'd be near the top. A great athletic example- 196cm and 102kg's of potential mayhem.

But a footballer??? His kicking for goal, surely the object of the exercise, was simply appalling. On my count, he must have kicked 4 goals 8 behinds or something like it- all, repeat all, of them easy kicks. Could, and should, have won the game on his own. And actual physical impact? Not a great deal.

Someone should tell him to pack on a bit of beef and see how we go.

A little cameo- when Maguire was knocked out in a cowardly incident that should see a 12 week suspension, the only 2 players I could see not involved in the subsequent carry on were- you guessed it, Staker and his opponent.

Harwood started well but faded, as would be expected- my favourite bit was when he, legally, totally cleaned up an onrushing opponent. Something we sadly lack. Give him another week or two.

ZO'B was everywhere but lacked real impact. As per in other words.

The Hammer coming along nicely. Has an innate goal sense which can't be taught.

Paine going well until he got what seemed to be a serious ankle injury.

Lester BOG by a street until taken off as reserve for tomorrow.

Many Firsts player there. And the coach. Aish friendly with Merret's family. Rog still in some sort of legging and apparently getting injections of something or other.

Berger very good but must acquire a bit of mongrel- my guess is it'll never happen.

Just my impressions.

Ask any West Coast fan what they think of Staker Tassie4ever. They all thought he was soft as butter. Sadly we need him to straighten us up and offer a target but Leppa might not be interested seeing as he wont be with club next year.

Lost by 7 points.
Quick summary:
Undermanned Lions (started with only 12 listed players) good for their lead at half time, but should have been well ahead - but for bad kicking.
Staker was dominant up forward, but could not turn that into goals - finished with 5.9 (with 2 of the goals from 50m frees to the goal line)
Hammelmann got less of the ball, but turned his opportunities into 5.2.
Lester was our best until he went out the game sometime in the 3rd Qtr (Emergency for tomorrow ????), and showed why we shouldn't use him as anything other than a "big bodied" inside mid. Was sorely missed when the game was on the line in the last Qtr. For most of that period our centre bounce midfield consisted of O'Brien, Clayton (normally a fwd) and one of the "kids", and Ainslie, more often than not, got first use.
Any advantage the hot conditions may have provided against a team from Canberra were negated when Maguire (knocked out) & Paine (appeared to be an ankle) went down early in the 3rd. Along with Lester's absence, the remaining listed players & the kids battled manfully.
Maguire was lucky not to suffer anything more serious than being momentarilly knocked out, and a swollen lip (according to both Manny Lynch & Mitch Robinson), from a poorly disguised late spoil that was, in reality, a cheap "king hit" to an unsuspecting opponent (from Bennett, who was, incidentally, Ainslie's best).
O'Brien ran & worked hard all day (and was the first to fly the flag after Maguire was felled).

My second look at both Watts & Beasley, and both show promise, but with differing needs: Watts needs to put on some muscle (very skinny kid) and Beasley needs another solid pre-season, to be able to make repeated efforts.
Hammelmann, similarly to Watts, needs some bulk - was very good on the lead - invariably marks when he can get separation, but struggles in body on body contests.
Jury still out on Clayton - would like to see him do more in games - but early days I guess.
Likewise for Billy Evans (another who will benefit from a full pre-season).
Was good to see Harwood back on deck - he will obviously benefit from the run - lets hope he gets a good run at it.
Leuey rucked all day - hard to judge because you expect him to dominate at this level.
McGuinness & Dawson didn't play. I had heard that JMac was injured, but I wonder whether Leppa is considering Dawson as a Late inclusion tomorrow (another debutant if so - fair chance Rocky may not make it), or mayne he was also injured (????).

ps The banter coming out of the Club re Mitch Robbo's impact was in evidence today. There was a healthy number of the Seniors in attendance, but Robbo was actively involved offering encouragement from over the fence - was good to see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back