2015 Lions Reserves and NEAFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re Lester's influence "inside".

Couldn't agree more. And I hope the coach sitting behind me could hear my and others' comments to this effect.

Quick summary:
Undermanned Lions (started with only 12 listed players) good for their lead at half time, but should have been well ahead - but for bad kicking.
Staker was dominant up forward, but could not turn that into goals - finished with 5.9 (with 2 of the goals from 50m frees to the goal line)
Hammelmann got less of the ball, but turned his opportunities into 5.2.
Lester was our best until he went out the game sometime in the 3rd Qtr (Emergency for tomorrow ????), and showed why we shouldn't use him as anything other than a "big bodied" inside mid. Was sorely missed when the game was on the line in the last Qtr. For most of that period our centre bounce midfield consisted of O'Brien, Clayton (normally a fwd) and one of the "kids", and Ainslie, more often than not, got first use.
Any advantage the hot conditions may have provided against a team from Canberra were negated when Maguire (knocked out) & Paine (appeared to be an ankle) went down early in the 3rd. Along with Lester's absence, the remaining listed players & the kids battled manfully.
Maguire was lucky not to suffer anything more serious than being momentarilly knocked out, and a swollen lip (according to both Manny Lynch & Mitch Robinson), from a poorly disguised late spoil that was, in reality, a cheap "king hit" to an unsuspecting opponent (from Bennett, who was, incidentally, Ainslie's best).
O'Brien ran & worked hard all day (and was the first to fly the flag after Maguire was felled).

My second look at both Watts & Beasley, and both show promise, but with differing needs: Watts needs to put on some muscle (very skinny kid) and Beasley needs another solid pre-season, to be able to make repeated efforts.
Hammelmann, similarly to Watts, needs some bulk - was very good on the lead - invariably marks when he can get separation, but struggles in body on body contests.
Jury still out on Clayton - would like to see him do more in games - but early days I guess.
Likewise for Billy Evans (another who will benefit from a full pre-season).
Was good to see Harwood back on deck - he will obviously benefit from the run - lets hope he gets a good run at it.
Leuey rucked all day - hard to judge because you expect him to dominate at this level.
McGuinness & Dawson didn't play. I had heard that JMac was injured, but I wonder whether Leppa is considering Dawson as a Late inclusion tomorrow (another debutant if so - fair chance Rocky may not make it), or mayne he was also injured (????).

ps The banter coming out of the Club re Mitch Robbo's impact was in evidence today. There was a healthy number of the Seniors in attendance, but Robbo was actively involved offering encouragement from over the fence - was good to see.
Dawson was crook all week apparently, would explain why he didn't play.

Bit harsh on Staker, he is usually a good shot on goal. If he is having 12 shots on goal in a game then I'm pretty happy with that. We need that marking presence in the senior team.
Was my first thought too.

From the match report Hammer kicked 5? Does he look like he might get a run in the top squad soon or it he still too slight at the moment.
Not likely.
Apart from being a Rookie, would be far less competitive strength wise than Harris Andrews.

Bit harsh on Staker, he is usually a good shot on goal. If he is having 12 shots on goal in a game then I'm pretty happy with that. We need that marking presence in the senior team.
I agree, apart from the happy bit :p.
I'm guessing knees and calves have really affected his kicking. His scoring shows 14 shots, but doesn't account for the couple of OOB on the full, so 5 goals from about 16 shots. If he can fix this, he's an automatic starter.

Good reports Crusha & Tassie4ever , but forgot to mention how s**t the umpiring was, particularly in the first half. Terribly biased. What was high or HTB for one side, wasn't for the other, and pushing in the back was totally allowed.

Best part of the day was seeing that famous sausage dog from the internetz, Killa. I think he belongs to some footballer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheers Crusha and Tassie.

Nice to hear that Hammer continues to pick up goals. That is something he struggled with at this level last year. I think he will take a couple of years to impact at AFL level but it is a big positive that he seems to be stepping up to this level.

The new rookies all look like prospects. I could see any of them playing for a long time.

Lester's always been good at winning the contested ball and clearances. It's his tank that lets him down. Would be very handy in the seniors if he fixed that.
Know zero about sports science but is tank able to be improved after 22 years of age or are you stuck with inherent tank.

Lester's always been good at winning the contested ball and clearances. It's his tank that lets him down. Would be very handy in the seniors if he fixed that.

As well as his kicking.

And handballing.

And decision making.

His running was pretty impressive in pre-season so I don't think he would blow up as bad now.

As well as his kicking.

And handballing.

And decision making.

I think his skills by hand and foot are better than what you seem to be suggesting. His decision making does let him down.

If he's winning clearances and getting it out to the blokes on the outside, that'd just about be a step up from most of the side on this years performance.

I think his skills by hand and foot are better than what you seem to be suggesting. His decision making does let him down.

If he's winning clearances and getting it out to the blokes on the outside, that'd just about be a step up from most of the side on this years performance.
It's pretty hit and miss (literally). Some days you think he has turned a corner but then the next week he follows it up by making said mistakes again

Foot is pretty hit and miss, remembering many chip kicks over the head of the player leading to him.

Hand is pretty hit and miss, remembering many handballs to the feet of the player waiting for the ball, effectively killing our fast ball movement.

My thoughts from the game to add to Skoob, Crusha and Tassie4ever:

- Overall played well for 3 and half quarters but faded again; it was hot in the sun!
- Thought that Clayton played his best game to date.
- Harwood's skills and positioning were excellent - I expect him to go into the seniors next week.
- Staker's kicking style is average: IMO he's too rigid and his kicking motion is slightly too rushed and was saved by a few in the goal square. In the last quarter he kicked out of bounds on the full from a shot on 45 degree angle. The opposition player then played on and caught him cold in the goal square. I think he will be in the seniors next week and I hope that he does well.
- The late hit on Maguire by Josh Bennett (who ended up kicking 8) in the third quarter was terrible and Goose is extremely lucky he didn't get more seriously injured. You could hear the impact from over 50 meters away. With Paine injured, we were really short in the back line and the fact that Anslie had 23 to our 22 players this gave them a distinct advantage.
- The standard of the NEAFL has improved this year from the two games I have seen.
- Kick to kick was fun and I even snagged a few sausage rolls
- Good to speak to Mr Ripper

Remove this Banner Ad

Back