2015 Lions Reserves and NEAFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I've always wondered why that's considered a kick and kicking from inside the square wasn't.

In the modern day when supercoach is so massive they should probably change it.

SuperCoach does count it as a stat and scores it as a kick, as part of their secret scoring sauce. DT/AFL Fantasy don't because it's not reflected in the game stats.

AFL.com.au reserves report:

State league affiliate: Brisbane Lions (NEAFL)
This weekend: UWS Giants v Brisbane Lions - Sunday June 7, 9.30am, Spotless Stadium

There was not much to write home about for the Brisbane Lions who were annihilated by the Giants by 192 points.

The Lions, who have been decimated by injuries, had just six AFL-listed players to choose from and struggled mightily.

Josh Clayton (15 possessions) and Mitch Golby (13) were the Lions to show some resistance.

Hi forum friends, I was down in Sydney on the weekend (completely unrelated trip, fantastic coincidence Brisbane played there on the same weekend) and wrote the match report for the reserves that ended up on the Lions website.
I was texting score updates back to the club and added the bit about 'AFL subsidized 1st rounders vs 16 top ups', I can't believe they actually put it in a tweet! Therefore you kind of can blame the work experience kid, however I didn't think they'd throw it on social media.
The formatting of the report got changed up a bit after I sent it to the club so the presentation didn't look the greatest. Other than that, any feedback? Was a difficult day to write, tried to focus on the few positives.

What's the story with Jono Freeman? Expected he'd be getting valuable experience this year, but i hear there's a glute injury that will have him back by round 5, which was like 5 weeks ago. What gives?

He is reinjured. Out for quite a while.

What's the story with Jono Freeman? Expected he'd be getting valuable experience this year, but i hear there's a glute injury that will have him back by round 5, which was like 5 weeks ago. What gives?

Did his ankle at a training session I believe.

I have heard it said that half of his disposals were from kicking it to himself from the kick ins. Not sure how close to the mark that was.
I think he maybe did that 4 or 5 times however if he hits his targets when he does that....:thumbsu:. Also had 6 marks, 3 handballs & 1 free kick awarded to him. I don't think he can kick to himself and be awarded a mark:);) so its still a fair effort compared to some other players stats in the team for that day.

Team is up

http://www.neafl.com.au/fileadmin/t.../NEAFL_Weekly_Team_Sheet_-_Brisbane_Rd_11.pdf

Harwood and Gardiner both named along with all 3 emergencies, wonder which one will miss out and travel. Musn't be Gardiner as he's been named captain of the reserves side.

Stakes returns to action as well although still no Goose. Looks like West didn't pass his test either, neither did Merrett.

12 listed players minus an emergency, unless they're going to play Mayes or Andrews for a bit and then fly them from Canberra down to Melb.

Half time you guys 4.6 30 them guys 4.2 26

All emergencies playing

Goals: Staker Hammelmann Evans Daye
Disposals: Harwood 17 Mayes 16 Andrews 14 Golby 13 Evans 13 McGuinness 11 Clayton 11 Gardiner 10 Dawson 7 Hammelmann 6 Smith 6 Staker 4

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Full time Lions 8.12 (60) Demons 11.4 (70)

goals: Staker 3 Evans 2 Daye Golby Hammelmann

Disposals: Harwood 30 Golby 28 Andrews 25 Evans 25 McGuinness 25 Gardiner 23 Mayes 22 Clayton 18 Dawson 16 Smith 10 Hammelmann 8 Staker 8

Scoreline was a good reflection of the game, really. Very dour and defensive. Lots of short kicking, most of it wayward, from both sides. We probably shaded them in general play, but struggled to finish, particularly early in that third quarter when the ball spent a solid ten to fifteen minutes in our forwardline.

We were ahead most of the game, including early in the last quarter, but Eastlake clearly wanted it more and got on top late. Mayes went off, I suppose to go to Melbourne, and the game definitely swung their way. We made a few positional changes that didn't seem to help matters, either.

Individuals:

Andrews was clearly the best player on the ground for the first three quarters. Took many, many intercepting marks and really directed our defence. Often using language I can't repeat here on bigfooty. It was a bit strange hearing a skinny first year player bark orders at Mitch Golby. His ball use was a little iffy at times, but he hoovered up everything that came his way in the first half. When we went a couple of goals down in the last quarter he was shifted forward and was more or less anonymous late. I don't know if that was a premeditated play but it did not work.

Mayes played on the ball pretty much exclusively for the first three quarters. I'm a bit surprised to see he only had 22 touches because it seemed like a lot more, even if he didn't play the entire game. He had no trouble finding it at the contest, and his defensive work was good, but his kicking, even under the most minimal pressure, was poor. Often kicked without looking, and often turned it over. It probably improved a little as the game went on, but it didn't appear as though he was forcing his way back into the team.

Harwood must have spent more time on the ball than I realised to get 30 touches. He copped a bad corky early and didn't seem to be covering the ground all that well, but I guess looks can be deceiving. Good without dominating.

Gardiner played across half back and clearly wasn't himself. Did a few good things defensively, but his ball use was poor, and got beaten a couple of times one on one, which probably shouldn't happen at this level.

Golby played the first three quarters as a very wide wingman, before moving into the guts for the last term. It looks like his card has been marked. He wasn't impressive, and in fact made one or two bad errors.

Evans spent most of the game on the ball and looked okay. Disposal was solid without being spectacular. Defensive pressure was good, but didn't stick all his tackles. He reminds me a little of Tom Rockliff.

McGuiness showed some toe off the half backline, seemed to use the ball pretty well. Didn't dominate the game by any stretch.

Clayton was barely noticeable. He did lay a couple of good tackles, but his kicking really lacks penetration. It looked like he played mostly off the half back flank, possibly on a wing for some of it.

Dawson shifted between the forwardline and defence without looking all that comfortable anywhere, really. Like many of our players seemed to be unable to take a contested mark.

Hammelmann was a big disappointment. He had several inches and speed to burn on his opponent but just couldn't make it count. Kicked a goal, missed a couple of gettable shots, and missed a lot more gettable marks. By the second half it appeared his teammates didn't have the confidence to kick long to him one on one anymore, which was pretty concerning. A couple of times he did make good ground to make a contest, but on a day like today in perfect conditions with good supply, against a mismatched opponent, he should've had four or five goals. He finished the game in the backline.

Archie Smith is tall. I have now run out of good things to say about Archie Smith. Was well beaten in the ruck, around the grounds, in the air, and when he did get it he usually butchered it. Very, very worrying. I think he was injured recently, so possibly he's still feeling the effects of that. I hear a lot about his vertical leap but it didn't stand out today.

Staker is clearly not totally well, but still he had an impact with some contested marks and goals. I think he'd be a fair way away from playing at AFL level.

TL;DR - Andrews good, Mayes okay, but I'd be surprised to see too many others rushed back into the team on the basis of that performance.

Last edited:
Great to hear about Andrews but what is happening with our development? Mayes, Golby, Gardiner, Smith all seem to have either gone backwards or stagnated.

Gardiner?? Has been injured so I don't think he should be included in with the like of Mayes, Smith and Golby TBH.

Great to hear about Andrews but what is happening with our development? Mayes, Golby, Gardiner, Smith all seem to have either gone backwards or stagnated.
Mayes' form over the last couple of seasons is a bit of a worry(not that he was that bad at all last year), but he's probably still looking for match fitness after an interrupted season so far. Gardiner hasn't been fit all year. Golby looked like a solid player a couple of years, but he always had his deficiencies. Smith is a massive project, they don't work out that often.

Gardiner?? Has been injured so I don't think he should be included in with the like of Mayes, Smith and Golby TBH.
Fair enough, hopefuly he gets back to his 1st year form soon.
I will trade him out for Leuy who has had a full pre-season and half a season in the seniors and still been very ordinary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back