List Mgmt. 2015 LIST Discussion - trades, free agency etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Judd, Carrazzo, Ellard out frees up a fair bit of $
Plus Henderson, Yarran and Bell, more $?

An offer to Kruezer should be bettered now.

4-5 first round draft picks possibly on the way.
Trading for possibly one or more of Treloar, Aish and Redden.

And a decent free agent if there are any?

Stevie J for minimum chips anyone? Would have still been in the Cats best this year for at least 8-10 games. He comes from a winning culture, premiership player, experienced and can still kick a goal. And most importantly could assist with coaching the forward line on and offield.

Last edited:
Stevie J for minimum chips anyone? Would have still been in the Cats best this year for at least 8-10 games. He comes from a winning culture, premiership player, experienced and can still kick a goal. And most importantly could assist with coaching the forward line o and offield.
no, just no.

With the amount of experience we'll be losing and $$, I wouldn't be against picking up a veteran - similar to what the Suns and Giants did in their formative years with Brogan and the like. Stevie J doesn't deserve to be retired/pushed out and wouldn't be against picking him up in the PSD in a playing/coaching capacity... could help with midfield coaching?

Or is he toxic and just not worth it? On paper, there's a fair argument to be made - or picking up someone like Adcock for cheap... better than a 80+ draft pick imo.

Maybe Johnson isn't the personality to have around the club - I honestly don't know the guy.

Stevie J for minimum chips anyone? Would have still been in the Cats best this year for at least 8-10 games. He comes from a winning culture, premiership player, experienced and can still kick a goal. And most importantly could assist with coaching the forward line on and offield.

Oh gawd NO! :straining:

With the amount of experience we'll be losing and $$, I wouldn't be against picking up a veteran - similar to what the Suns and Giants did in their formative years with Brogan and the like. Stevie J doesn't deserve to be retired/pushed out and wouldn't be against picking him up in the PSD in a playing/coaching capacity... could help with midfield coaching?

Or is he toxic and just not worth it? On paper, there's a fair argument to be made - or picking up someone like Adcock for cheap... better than a 80+ draft pick imo.

Maybe Johnson isn't the personality to have around the club - I honestly don't know the guy.
I don't think he would come to us. He will have offers from North and Richmond and for a guy with a max 2 years left he wouldn't want to waste them with us.

if we're going to recruit an older type to help lead by example and protect the younglings, would prefer a less talented player who works really hard to get 100% out of himself. Not sure we really need to anyway.

if we're going to recruit an older type to help lead by example and protect the younglings, would prefer a less talented player who works really hard to get 100% out of himself. Not sure we really need to anyway.

You mean James Kelly

12 changes cutting too deep?

We are second last on the ladder with a brittle defence, a forward-line that is virtually non-existent plus a ruck division that is one of the worst in the league.

Yet you think turning over 12 players is cutting too deep ??

FMD, way too many people here want to hang on to B-Graders & list-cloggers whilst at the same time, blatantly complain about our poor onfield performances and ladder finishes.

You can't have it both ways folks !!!! :rolleyes:

NO !!!

We need a bottoming out rebuild, not more bandaids on the hemorrhaging !!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keeping in mind we need enough mature bodies/team players so as not to "Melbourne"

Don't worry about mature bodies, we have plenty of them who will be playing for another year or two (Touhy, Wood, Casboult, Simpson, Rowe, Walker, Jamison, Thomas, White, Murphy, Gibbs - there's half a team already).

Let's start bringing in pure footballers from the draft with precise skills and a healthy amount of fire-in-the-belly for the contest.

I'll start by saying no, but I'll clarify.
Even if we wanted him for the type of role you mentioned, I highly doubt he would come to a struggling/rebuilding club for cheap. Those guys went to GC and GWS for one last big pay day when they had lists full of rookies and money to burn to reach the min cap.
The only way a player like SJ will go to another club on the cheap, is if he has a chance of winning another flag or two before he hangs 'em up for good.

You think we're going to find 12 players above B grade/list clogger status?

Okay, let's just accept mediocrity and a bottom 4 finish for the next decade or two ??

For what it's worth, I'll back SOS & Co to find them in the drafts & trades, if not, we may as well merge or close the doors completely.

This and 2016's draft needs to be our Geelong 1999 + 2001 drafts.

We need to be smart... take every pick in the top 35 we can to the table.

They cut tied with fan favourites (Mansfield for #31) and Colbert (for Mooney #15 #17)

Bring in 5-6 kids from the top level of this age and let them grow and create a new culture...

We are second last on the ladder with a brittle defence, a forward-line that is virtually non-existent plus a ruck division that is one of the worst in the league.

Yet you think turning over 12 players is cutting too deep ??

FMD, way too many people here want to hang on to B-Graders & list-cloggers whilst at the same time, blatantly complain about our poor onfield performances and ladder finishes.

You can't have it both ways folks !!!! :rolleyes:

Of your 12, reckon the only ones I'd disagree with are Dick, Menzel and Watson.

And that's not a firm disagreement either - can see reasons to let them all go, but reckon they could be worth at least one more year each if we can't bring in enough quality replacements this year. Could then add Kreuzer to the list of departing players if that's the way the cards fall, meaning 10 out this year.

Losing Kreuzer to free agency would mean we can't pick any others up without sacrificing the compensation pick.

Pick 2
Pick 3
Hendo comp
Yarran comp
Pick 21
Pick 39
Pick 57
PSD 2
Rookie 2
Rookie 20

That's already going pretty deep into the draft, including 2 rookies. To bring anyone else onto the list we're needing to orchestrate 2-for-1 deals on some of our trades (Hendo, Yarran, Menzel) or by trading high picks for multiple lower ones (which I'd be against doing as a general rule).

If we offloaded 12-13 players as per your breakdown - how would you suggest we replace them?

Keeping in mind we need enough mature bodies/team players so as not to "Melbourne"

We cant use Melbourne as a yardstick for what we should do.

They got mature players in and they are no better off than before... (Vince/Cross/Lumumba)

Yes the 3 mentioned have played good football at times... but they have shielded development of a core group of kids to grow together

Don't worry about mature bodies, we have plenty of them who will be playing for another year or two (Touhy, Wood, Casboult, Simpson, Rowe, Walker, Jamison, Thomas, White, Murphy, Gibbs - there's half a team already).

Let's start bringing in pure footballers from the draft with precise skills and a healthy amount of fire-in-the-belly for the contest.

Now there's an idea. Players who want to play, for the sheer joy of it.

Footy is a job of course, but pride in one's work is a driving force like no other

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back