List Mgmt. 2015 LIST Discussion - trades, free agency etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't fallen into the trap of thinking we will stay on the bottom. I always expect us to do well until the season gets underway. I'm just trying to leave room for possibilities because my expectations tend to bring me down.

Lots of reasons for us to surge back up the ladder a little. We haven't had a decent run with injuries in years. I firmly believe it only takes a bottom 3 out, top 3 in scenario for game results to be flipped on their heads.

Just reading around I'm seeing those outside the top 2 being ranked anywhere from 3 to the end of the first round. It's that lack of a stand out #3 that concerns me. Francis sounds great but his role isn't key at the moment. He's a versatile 3rd tall at either end with the potential to play midfield but no exposed form there.

Really want a gun midfielder to help Cripps, Murph and Gibbs out.

I think the draft depth is somewhat misrepresented - there is a definite top 2, a few that would be definite top 10 (francis/parish etc) and a few others that could drift.

Francis is just a name plucked from phantom drafts - you could replace that with a mid like parish if you wished. Whilst I'm not a draft watcher, francis appeals due to the descriptions of his competitive streak and elite long kicking.

Certainly agree that that we need more gun mids - if thomas shows any form, he will help out - as will graham/boekhurst with another pre-season. I'd be relatively comfortable running with what we've got in 2015 and then loading up on mids with the 3 X 1st round picks in 2016

Sorry but that's taking short cuts, GWS will be thrilled were going to take their rejects though.

On a seperate note, seeing the same delusions as last year when we thought we were going to make finals, the fact is our list is horrible we just had our worst percentage in the clubs history. Full rebuild should mean FULL REBUILD... don't tend to think taking guys who aren't in GWS best side (apart from Tomlinson) who they won't give up cheap will lead to us to having a premiership list in 5 to 7 years time

The fact that GWS were gifted a ridiculous number of 1st round picks & have a lot of academy players coming through means that there is a lot of talent that will leak from that club. We aren't taking rejects - most of the players that we've targeted this year are actually contracted for next year but for various reasons haven't cemented a first 22 spot as yet.

That we target GWS players doesnt mean its a short cut - its just recognition that many of these players will be better talents than what we might be able to bring in via latter draft picks this year - particularly given the reported shallowness of the draft.

Strategically we probably need Saints to pay overs for Carlisle, inflating the value of KPP's and drawing the Dogs into the market for Henderson.

Then we need GWS to stand firm with McCarthy, keeping another KPF in front of Tomlinson for another year. Can't see them losing two contracted KPF's in the one off season.

Probably the most unlikely is Tigers landing Bennell, and then cooling on Yarran's $450K contract...opening up discussions with Adelaide, WA teams and maybe Sydney.

Yep a lot going on between all clubs with the to and fro.

Already started with Adelaide's decision to match Geelongs offer for Dangerfield, changing the Cats' plans and affecting our Henderson deal...

This is like Game of Thrones. I love it.

The fact that GWS were gifted a ridiculous number of 1st round picks & have a lot of academy players coming through means that there is a lot of talent that will leak from that club. We aren't taking rejects - most of the players that we've targeted this year are actually contracted for next year but for various reasons haven't cemented a first 22 spot as yet.

That we target GWS players doesnt mean its a short cut - its just recognition that many of these players will be better talents than what we might be able to bring in via latter draft picks this year - particularly given the reported shallowness of the draft.

Lets put some names to it do we want a Sumner Lamb Plowman or a R.Clarke Hardwick Lovell Glass-Mcasker... what do people think?

Just hope that these so-called 'injury prone' players that the club is after are not so injury prone when playing at the club. The injury list was bad enough this year.

Any more, then we will be lucky to field 22 players. Might have to select supporters out of the crowd to don the famous blue guernsey and help us out.

Did a bit of research on young Jayden McGrath at BRI. Likely type just getting over injuries. Him and their 3rd for Bell?

Why is my mind going to...

YhGSWJ6.jpg

:eek:

I keep saying 2-years because that is the maximum they can hand down and if that was the case, it would hurt us greatly after we signed Carlisle up.
Sure, that's the maximum but what about the other end of the spectrum? If they don't dodge the bullet they could get as little as three weeks according to a few of the (legitimate) sports journos following this issue. The ball is entirely in WADA's court and no-one has any confidence in predicting what the outcome will be.

So, that being the case, where would you draw the line with Carlise? Would you take him if he missed half a season? One season? What if he comes to us on the 'cheap' (pickwise) because of the WADA threat and then the case is resolved without onfield sanctions? I'm happy for Carlton to take that risk - the upside is just so high.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did anyone hear Cameron Lings comments pre GF that Stokes was Carlton bound? Not a 100% sure I heard this right with two lunatic kids in he room but have been itching for some insight.

Whoever gets him is gunna have to babysit him ie: Chocko and Dustin Martin..........and we just don't have those resources atm.

By the sound of it, his mates in WA are enablers anyway, so he ain't no clean skin.

A big no thanks.

Just posted in another thread that Bennell was out on Friday night at Ms Collins and kicked in a door at the bar, dickhead, keep walking

Lets put some names to it do we want a Sumner Lamb Plowman or a R.Clarke Hardwick Lovell Glass-Mcasker... what do people think?
I would think that most people posting on these boards wouldn't have seen enough of these guys to make an informed comment on the relative pre-draft performances of the two groups of players.

Have you seen a lot of these guys perform as 17/18 yo's? or are you relying on draft profiles and your perceptions of how the GWS players have performed?

Tuohy went through the roof, reckon he's ready for midfield.

Iteresting if this happens. Does anyone have any insight into his midfield abilities? Are his hands and awareness up to the move into the midfield. Clearly his running and kicking are coming along well- maybe to provide outside run.?

I would prefer

Yarran & pick 20 > plowman, Tomlinson, Philips

Pick 11 from WB > Charlie Curnow/another young KP

Strengthening the Tigers with Yarran should be avoided
I would do those in a heartbeat... we shouldnt be strengthening rival clubs with our class players.

And the best thing about those trades is that we address every need and avoid picking Carlisle... although he would be a good grab with the PSD.

Out of interest, if we pick up SSOS .. will Walker give up the Number 1?
I think that the #1 jumper is being reserved for Ben... he is the one that everyone in the know is drooling over as being the most talented of the 3 boys.

Bootsma yes. In fairness to the Watson pick, aside from Smith there isn't much in the next 20 odd picks that we should be too upset at missing out on. McCarthy over Parker is the one that hurts...no idea how 39 names were read out ahead of him. Had champion written all over him from game one.

We took Watson one spot ahead of Talia (crows) and Jetta (swans)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back