List Mgmt. 2015 LIST Discussion - trades, free agency etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mynameisgeoff posts absolute dribble. Same bloke that wanted to trade our picks for depth players. Your critiqueing of that list is bang on. We have a way to go. But another good step taken last night.
I advocated trading out high currency picks/players for depth of contributors. I stressed on numerous occasions that I wasn't being specific about which players or picks to trade, but from a strategic stand point, we needed to address our lack of depth of contributors with priority.

Silvagni did exactly that. Traded out currency (menzel) and addressed the lack of depth of immediate contributors (kerridge, plowman, sumner, lamb, Phillips). He reportedly also tried to trade pick 8 for Tomlinson.

Unless you think silvagni is talking dribble you should probably retract that comment

Depending on who you ask, 193cm. 18 year olds sometimes grow half an inch after drafting.

Plowman looks 192/193 and not 191.
Small difference on face value but could be a lot on-field.

Hard to gauge what his reach is like but he has nice movement and fair pace.

Pound for pound each one of those Pies players would get schoolyard picked over the Carlton counterpart.
Cripps is going to be a bloody good star, but Treloar already is. At worst you call it dead even.
As for the rest, it's either the Collingwood player or a draw. De Goey and Byrne is no contest. Grundy is a developed ruckman vs a just recruited rookie (in terms of years not rookie list)... not really a comparison. Crisp and Kerridge? No contest right now. You'd have Moore over Jaksch every day of the week, he's going to be a very good player. Adams is way better than Graham is now and probably going to be.

At this stage I can't argue with that. I think this might be an debate to be had next season. Given a full preseason, proper coaching and a solid start to 2016, I think we will have quite a few players that are unearthed as genuine talents.

Graham, Byrne, Buckley, plowman, kerridge, boekhorst, Jaksch I am quite confident can stamp themselves next season

The rookie draft has proven to be a well to tap for talent in the brave new world of the AFL. I think we haven't quite grasped what is required, high turnover! We have tended to use the rookie draft more to stockpile list cloggers or players pushed out by list cloggers. Would like to see us give players 12 months, they either breakthrough or they are out! We can't hide the Woods of the world on the rookie list. We need to be unearthing talent missed by the draft or slower blooming. Not expecting much here because most of the spots are taken.
Completely agree, we need to churn through a heap of cat A. rookies to unearth some gems.
Project talls waste too much time & you can't plan a team around them. In that time you could turn over a bunch of rookie small forwards for a much greater chance of success, since they either have an immediate impact or you move them on

Plowman looks 192/193 and not 191.
Small difference on face value but could be a lot on-field.

Hard to gauge what his reach is like but he has nice movement and fair pace.
the team avg height would have increased with trades & draft
is this visible in the training track - yet?

I advocated trading out high currency picks/players for depth of contributors. I stressed on numerous occasions that I wasn't being specific about which players or picks to trade, but from a strategic stand point, we needed to address our lack of depth of contributors with priority.

Silvagni did exactly that. Traded out currency (menzel) and addressed the lack of depth of immediate contributors (kerridge, plowman, sumner, lamb, Phillips). He reportedly also tried to trade pick 8 for Tomlinson.

Unless you think silvagni is talking dribble you should probably retract that comment
Nope you still talk dribble. It was picks you wanted to trade. You never mentioned players. Even Number 1 was on the table. The only one retracting now is you.
Silvagni did exactly what a lot of us wanted. Trading for top end talent which 4 picks in the 1st round is. Weren't you the one with the rediculous top 150 dribble and saying we should trade pick 1 with dogs for Hrovat and a bunch of other fringe types. Yes it was you.

Go back and see your dribble around oct 3rd and 4th. You got hammered with your strange 150 list. Your quick fix is garbage.

Nope you still talk dribble. It was picks you wanted to trade. You never mentioned players. Even Number 1 was on the table. The only one retracting now is you.
Silvagni did exactly what a lot of us wanted. Trading for top end talent which 4 picks in the 1st round is. Weren't you the one with the rediculous top 150 dribble and saying we should trade pick 1 with dogs for Hrovat and a bunch of other fringe types. Yes it was you.

"I advocate trading picks and players to get what we need into the club."

You are pretty far from the mark. Never mentioned the above deal with the dogs, and I made clear these trade scenarios where hypotheticals to explain what in my opinion constitutes an aggressive trade period. I had a pretty clear argument that what Carlton was lacking is quantity of quality contributors and we should trade aggressively (whatever and whoever that may be) to address this. Multiplying the capable players on our list is the argument I was making.

Trade period
Carlton out: 4 players
Carlton in: 8 players (5 which are set to make immediate impact)

Right when I was thinking about the second phase of the rebuild, Twomey puts up his 10 prospects to watch. I imagine midfield and goal kicking will be the order of the day... Ainsworth, Brodie, Simpkin and Petrevski-Seton must be on the minds of those planning for the next wave behind Murphy, Gibbs, etc as well as replacing that which was lost in the forward line.

I think pure midfields we need now. Between Armfield, Sumner, Lamb, Tutt and Smith - small forwards we have for now. I think Sumner and Smith will be the 2 long term as well. Throw in resting midfielders and we should be good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think pure midfields we need now. Between Armfield, Sumner, Lamb, Tutt and Smith - small forwards we have for now. I think Sumner and Smith will be the 2 long term as well. Throw in resting midfielders and we should be good.

You're probably right. The only thing that comes to mind is that Bolton wanted outside speed.
He got that with Cunningham to a degree but wouldn't mind betting that whoever we get with pick #1 in the RD, will be seriously fast

Seriously too many people underestimate our list

With the right system, the right attitude the only people that need to get turned over are the ones that don't commit fully. And let's hope our last clean out did that (maybe jones and anyone else who doesn't out in every single bit of effort to improve their fitness to afl quality).

So much talent on the list, more than most. It's just hard to shine ( unless your skill is explosive speed etc like yarran) in a team that has no structure or buy in

Just watch by the end of the year how many players everyone is calling spuds or not up to it actually make a name for themselves.

Culture and attitude is everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can see what they've gone with here. Guys with strong leadership capability, which is what is sorely needed at the club. I like this acquisition.

Wow, another 2 players to add ontop of Wright and our other trades/recruits.. Thats a lot of players to get to know!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Reckon our best recruit will be Bolton - he will galavanise and develop our list - there will be a fair bit of excitement next year and we will well and truly get out of the cellar! West Adelaide went from 2nd bottom last year to Premiers this year and we've seen what happened with the Bulldogs! Optimistic about 2016! The new coach (and team) will of itself bump us up 3 or 4 spots and hopefully 2 or 3 more spots with new and developing talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back