List Mgmt. 2015 LIST Discussion - trades, free agency etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect SOS and the Board would have had serious reservations about the strength of our list when those comments were made, but with the improved performance from our established players and the successful integration of some of the kids, those views may now have changed.

2 months ago you'd be forgiven for thinking our midfield lacked grunt, pace AND depth, and our forward line had no teeth.

Now we've got too many mids to fit in (Cripps, Murphy, Graham, Curnow, Carazzo, Daisy, Gibbs, Holman, Boekhorst, Bell), Levi's the most accurate kick in the comp, and Armfield, Menzel, Everitt and Hendo are combining really well and creating some difficult match-ups.

I reckon we'll go hard for an extra first round pick IF someone wants out (Hendo or Yarran?), but it's probably not critical. We were expecting a 5-year rebuild with a massive list overhaul, no reason we can't revise to a gradual 4-year rebuild with natural attrition of the list.

I suspect SOS and the Board would have had serious reservations about the strength of our list when those comments were made, but with the improved performance from our established players and the successful integration of some of the kids, those views may now have changed.

I don't know about that.
If we didn't know what our players were capable of, then there's something wrong.

Murphy, Gibbs, Henderson, Yarran etc can play but it's giving them the environment they need to thrive in, is the trick.
Murphy has got back to something like his 2011 form and the way that he's slipping and maneuvering out of tackles tells me he's well on his way.
We'll want all the rest to follow and for Gibbs & Yarran to a lesser degree, to now back up their 2014 form.

Just seems like we are a little uncertain about exactly what form our list management strategy will take.

Surely SOS wouldn't be second guessing himself after the last month of football alone. It may be that after assessing the crop of kids available in the draft that he feels that the talent significantly drops off after the top 10 or so.

After announcing our need for a rebuild and that we would attack the draft and 'nail' our picks, would we be happy now if after a solid month of football we turned our back on that strategy and considered trading for the likes of Carlisle or Treloar?

Just seems like we are a little uncertain about exactly what form our list management strategy will take.

Surely SOS wouldn't be second guessing himself after the last month of football alone. It may be that after assessing the crop of kids available in the draft that he feels that the talent significantly drops off after the top 10 or so.

After announcing our need for a rebuild and that we would attack the draft and 'nail' our picks, would we be happy now if after a solid month of football we turned our back on that strategy and considered trading for the likes of Carlisle or Treloar?
I hope he's second guessing himself.

This pissed me off.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/re...-on-carlton-list/story-e6frf7jo-1227359502536

Conducting an "audit" on the list after being away from the club for 12 years, and using 8 games of a brand of football that made our players look much, much worse than what they are as a basis for that "audit".

I hope he's second guessing himself.

This pissed me off.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/re...-on-carlton-list/story-e6frf7jo-1227359502536

Conducting an "audit" on the list after being away from the club for 12 years, and using 8 games of a brand of football that made our players look much, much worse than what they are as a basis for that "audit".

In fairness, he would have been looking for players capable of making MM's game style work, not an easy task if you take into consideration the speed, skill and hardness required to play it. MM's Collingwood GF sides were very VERY strong, fast and skillful, yet they only just defeated a St Kilda side which had more second rate players than a lot of teams that don't even make the eight.

Yep, agreed - he game in and jumped aboard the company line: "Our list is a long way behind, time to clear it out and start again". Having now seen a bit more of the younger guys, and seen them playing a more natural brand of footy, it wouldn't surprise me if he'd revised his opinion.

Not to say we're now going to ignore the draft and go chasing other clubs' stars. Carlisle could be a cheap, maybe even free pick-up. Treloar is likely beyond us anyway, but if we could get him for Yarran and pick 22 I'd say we'd bank that as a massive win. The big change I can see is that rather than looking to trade for 4-5 top 20 picks, we can now realistically look at keeping our better players and just rejuvenate the list with a couple of talented kids each year.

In fairness, he would have been looking for players capable of making MM's game style work, not an easy task if you take into consideration the speed, skill and hardness required to play it. MM's Collingwood GF sides were very VERY strong, fast and skillful, yet they only just defeated a St Kilda side which had more second rate players than a lot of teams that don't even make the eight.
You're probably right. But if this is true isn't this a bit of an indictment on SOS?

If he knew his s**t, he would have taken one look at the game plan we were playing to and said "it's going to be pretty hard to get a gauge on where the list is really at with this horrific, outdated game plan". I mean, even most of us saw how badly we were being coached after the WCE game.

You're probably right. But if this is true isn't this a bit of an indictment on SOS?

If he knew his s**t, he would have taken one look at the game plan we were playing to and said "it's going to be pretty hard to get a gauge on where the list is really at with this horrific, outdated game plan". I mean, even most of us saw how badly we were being coached after the WCE game.

Maybe.

But if the boss says "give me a report" you give him a report.

I also think MM was one of the people SOS presented his finding too, so it may have been a tricky situation at that point (so we are told) because MM was still a chance to get a contract extension.

I tend to agree with this but he would have now settled into his role and becoming a little more practical.

No reason not to be tough but all in good measure. The noise is very different coming out of the club now than it was only a few weeks ago.

We have to apply one measure and follow it through from here on in.

What do we think will be the actual list management strategy that SOS and co. take at seasons end?

First the Pres says we will 'make hard decisions' and 'everyone is on the table' - supposedly as we want a few top 20 picks in the draft to select the best youth possible.

Then we soften our 'everyone is on the table' stance by saying Murphy and Gibbs wont be traded.

Then all the talk about Hendo and Yazz. And now SOS says we wont trade our talented players as we want them to remain at the club.

Also not denying interest in Carlisle and rumor has it Treloar as well.

Will it be draft picks and youth, will it be established players under 24, combination of both?

my bet is nothing.

i reckon we'll keep hendo and yazz, and won't bring in any FA or any big trades like Treloar (apparently full cap) and just go to the draft with first 2 picks, pick up Rice with 3rd and SOSOS with 4th.

my bet is nothing.

i reckon we'll keep hendo and yazz, and won't bring in any FA or any big trades like Treloar (apparently full cap) and just go to the draft with first 2 picks, pick up Rice with 3rd and SOSOS with 4th.
I reckon we will be losing a player we all love to watch, whether it be Yazz, Hendo, Gibbs etc. At least one of our best 18 will be traded.

We won't just delist a few rookies and use the picks we've been given. We'll be wheelin' dealin'.

First rule of starting in a new position is say how bad the situation is and blame the guy doing it before you (unless of course the guy you report to was the one doing your job previously). That way the only way is up for the first 2 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MM was pushing the company line harder than anyone to get a contract renewal.

What would've happened if SOS asked MM's opinion about Graham?

MM: "delist material"

Hopefully Barker keeps putting the kids out there since we have a lot of players who could use the exposure.

Johnson, Holman, Dick, Boekhurst, Whiley, Byrne, Sheehan etc etc haven't had the chance to really show their wares at senior level.

is Byrne likely to get a call up soon - hamstring test is the latest? Would also like to see Holman and Whiley get a sustained run - the latter was thrown to the wolves, hope he is resilient enough to bounce back hard.

PS on the resilience score, have so much admiration for Graham to keep putting in so hard despite never getting called up. Must have been very disheartening.

Last edited:
Lol hendo has not the amount of injuries Dixon has had.

And well, I disagree about his intensity, his work rate and intensity is on par with the rest of the boys for mine.

I also think his marking has been pretty good in the situations I have seen him in, no worse than other key forwards. The only thing I'd say is maybe other elite forwards could maybe create more seperation between them and their direct opponent at times, but that's all.

That could very well be the issue.

What do we think will be the actual list management strategy that SOS and co. take at seasons end?

First the Pres says we will 'make hard decisions' and 'everyone is on the table' - supposedly as we want a few top 20 picks in the draft to select the best youth possible.

Then we soften our 'everyone is on the table' stance by saying Murphy and Gibbs wont be traded.

Then all the talk about Hendo and Yazz. And now SOS says we wont trade our talented players as we want them to remain at the club.

Also not denying interest in Carlisle and rumor has it Treloar as well.

Will it be draft picks and youth, will it be established players under 24, combination of both?
I don't mind us taking 20-24 year old taller players where they have upside and strengthen out the team. Need to focus on upgrading our weaknesses, not just adding more depth. Saves us a few years in development, particularly with Talls. KJ should come good and Hendo also fits this strategy. Our drafting of young talls has not been great, but hopefully we are now due for a better run.

Just do not want us trading in older players who will stall development of our kids and have limited upside i.e. Jones is not a significant upgrade on Watson, so why bother trading, Warnock was not a significant upgrade on Jacobs so another bad call. We need to learn our lesson from history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back