Remove this Banner Ad

premiershipvigil

All Australian
Aug 19, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Welcome to the 2015 List Management thread

This thread is about general list management discussion.

Who you think we should turf, who we need to get, which rookies get promoted, list analysis, player type/ages etc. There's a fair bit of leeway here if you want to incorporate any trade/draft/free agency stuff into your posts.

If you wish to engage in specific Trade/FA discussion or Draft discussion there are also dedicated Mega threads:

2015 Draft discussion

2015 Trade discussion

2015 Free Agency discussion

Player Contracts thread

We'll also keep the list status updated here as changes are made official and add any other useful information as we go.

Senior List Changes

IN (9): Bugg (trade in), Harmes (rookie promotion), Hulett (ND46), Kennedy (trade in), King (ND42), Melksham (trade in), Oliver (ND4), Vandenberg (rookie promotion), Weideman (ND9)

OUT (9): Bail (delisted), Cross (retired), Fitzpatrick (trade out), Howe (trade out), Jamar (delisted), McKenzie (delisted), Michie (delisted), Riley (delisted), Toumpas (trade out)

Current 2016 senior spots vacant: 0/40

Cat A - Rookie List Changes

IN (2): Michie (demotion - RD24), Wagner (RD6)

OUT (2): Harmes (rookie promotion), Vandenberg (rookie promotion)

Current 2016 rookie spots vacant: 0/4

Cat B - Rookie List Changes

IN (1): Smith

OUT (0):

Total 2016 Cat B rookies: 1

Important Dates - off season

Friday 25 September 2pm - Draft Eligible Academy Player Nominations Lodged
Friday 9 October - AFL Restricted Free Agency Offer and Unrestricted Free Agency Period Commences
Monday 12 October 10am - NAB AFL Trade Period Commences
Sunday 18 October 5pm - Close of AFL Restricted Free Agency Offer and Unrestricted Free Agency Period.
Wednesday 21 October - AFL Restricted Free Agency Matching Offer 3 Day Period Ends
Thursday 22 October 2pm – NAB AFL Trade Period Closes
Friday 23 October 5pm - Application to Relist a Player Close
Friday 30 October 2pm - List Lodgement (1) ; Rookie Promotion to Primary List; Retained 2nd & 3rd Year Rookies; International Scholarship Player; Alternate Talent Player Nominations; Club Notification of Rookie Players Not Accepting a Contract of Offer; Nomination of Draft Eligible Father/Son Players Lodged; TPP Pre-Season Estimates (1).
Saturday 31 October - AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) Commences
Monday 9 November 5pm - AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) Closes
Monday 9 November 2pm - Out of Contract Listed AFL Primary List Players Draft Nomination Form and Player Request for Removal from List Form Lodged with AFL
Tuesday 10 November 2pm - List Lodgement (2); TPP Pre-Season Estimates (2)
Wednesday 11 November - AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) Commences
Tuesday 17 November 2pm - Delisted Primary List Draft Nomination Form Lodgement; Non–Retained Rookie Players Draft Nomination Form Lodgement; Players Not Registered or Played for Three years Rookie List Form lodgement; New or Expired (after 3 years) Draft Nomination Form Lodgement.
Friday 20 November 5pm - AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) Closes
Tuesday 24 November - NAB AFL Draft Selection Meeting (Adelaide Convention Centre) including Father/Son & Academy Players Bidding.
Wednesday 25 November - AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) Commences
Thursday 26 November 2pm - AFL Delisted Free Agency Period (3) Concludes; AFL Club List Lodgement (3).
Friday 27 November 11am - NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft Selection Meeting (Telstra Webex)
Friday 27 November 11:05am - Notification of Pre-Selected Rookies if not selected in the Pre-Season Draft.
Friday 27 November 11:10am - NAB AFL Rookie Draft Selection Meeting (Telstra Webex)
Tuesday 1 December 2pm - Final AFL Club List Lodgement; Final TPP Pre-Season Estimates
Friday 4 December 2pm - International Players Inclusion on Rookie List Form Lodgement.

Original Post by premiershipvigil :

Subject to contracts going into next year and based on form this year I think the following players are looking in trouble:
Grimes - can't kick, can't mark, hospital hand pass king
Mckenzie- can't kick, can't mark, hand passing is not enough
Terlick-can't kick, can't mark
Riley- tries but too slow
Michie- tries but too slow
Fitzpatrick- little impact, not enough upside
Gawn- little impact, not enough upside
Bail- little impact
Jones Matt - little impact
Jamar- little impact

This is Based on their exposed form at VFL level in 2015, time to move on Demons

Last edited by a moderator:
Depth on the list is very important. I would keep Grimes, Michie, Fitzpatrick and Gawn for this reason. When injuries hit (and they always do), these players can be useful. They have shown that they can play AFL to a reasonable level in the past.

McKenzie, Riley, Terlich are clearly not up to AFL standard. Jayden Hunt is another that will have to show something in the back end of the season. Jamar will retire. There's 5 names right there. Bail would be next cab off the rank, but he could also fall into the 'useful depth' category.

Matt Jones signed a 3-year deal at the start of last year, I kid you not. He is contracted for 2016. But if I was in charge I'd be delisting him without hesitation. 28 y/o and not up to it.

Think you've swung the axe a bit hard! Definitely would not be delisting Michie, Gawn or Jamar. Would look at trading Grimes, but no way cutting him for nothing. I think his big problem is he looks very scratchy with the ball. He takes lots of little steps, trotting almost, and it just makes him look really hurried and uncertain. I thought his disposal today was pretty good. Gawn showed lots today, was, along with Brown for Sandy, clearly the best contested mark out there. Just needs to get stronger in the core and get to more contests.
Definitely think McKenzie, Terlich, Riley, Bail and Matt Jones are on their last legs. Would expect to see Grimes traded. Fitz might be gone as well.

I reckon there will be 8+ delisted given we've had 20 over the last two seasons:
1. Jordie
2. Terlich
3. Jones
4. Hunt
5. Grimes (trade)
6. Riley
7. Watts (trade)
8. Fitz
9. Bail
10. Howe (trade)
11. Toump (trade)

I reckon there will be 8+ delisted given we've had 20 over the last two seasons:
1. Jordie
2. Terlich
3. Jones
4. Hunt
5. Grimes (trade)
6. Riley
7. Watts (trade)
8. Fitz
9. Bail
10. Howe (trade)
11. Toump (trade)
Toump is a wait and see a bit longer, Fitz possibly too. Probably agree with the rest.

Unless we trade/draft in. But I'd imagine we'd keep one of Jamar,Gawn, Fitz from that group listed above.

If Jamar retires at the end of the year, at the very least we're in the market for one ruck, if not two if we're going to spear one of Gawn or Spencer. The only rucks we'd have on the list would be Gawn, Spencer and King.

There's your answer as to why we're playing Jake Spencer and dropping Jamar in decent form. Got to see if there's anything to work with.

I can see us having a look at both Vickery and Lycett. Vickery to play as the relief ruckman...

Vickery? I hope not. Flakey and can't even get a game ahead of Ben Griffiths.

Guys likely to be available are developing or third ducks like Redden at Port, Gorringe at GC, Sinclair at WC, Currie at North, etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depth on the list is very important. I would keep Grimes, Michie, Fitzpatrick and Gawn for this reason. When injuries hit (and they always do), these players can be useful. They have shown that they can play AFL to a reasonable level in the past.

McKenzie, Riley, Terlich are clearly not up to AFL standard. Jayden Hunt is another that will have to show something in the back end of the season. Jamar will retire. There's 5 names right there. Bail would be next cab off the rank, but he could also fall into the 'useful depth' category.

Matt Jones signed a 3-year deal at the start of last year, I kid you not. He is contracted for 2016. But if I was in charge I'd be delisting him without hesitation. 28 y/o and not up to it.
It was a 2 year deal mate..

Cross - retire
Jamar - retire
Mckenzie - delist
Bail - delist
M. Jones - delist
Terlich - delist
Grimes - on the trade table
Watts - on the trade table
Trengove - want to keep as midfield depth, but not sure about his injury and does he want to stay after we tried to trade him?

MFC Player Contracts

Contracted to End of 2015

Daniel Cross
Jack Fitzpatrick
Colin Garland
Max Gawn
James Harmes (2nd year rookie)
Jeremy Howe
Jayden Hunt (Assumed, as a 2013 draftee)
Mark Jamar
Max King (2nd year rookie)
Jordie McKenzie
Cameron Pedersen
Jimmy Toumpas
Jack Trengove
Aaron Vendenberg (Assumed, as a 2014 rookie)
Mitchell White (Assumed, as a 2014 rookie)

There are also some other players who may come out of contract this year in the TBC group.

TBC

Rohan Bail
Sam Frost
Viv Michie
Ben Newton
Aidan Riley
Dean Terlich

Dom Tyson

Cross - retire
Jamar - retire
Mckenzie - delist
Bail - delist
M. Jones - delist
Terlich - delist
Grimes - on the trade table
Watts - on the trade table
Trengove - want to keep as midfield depth, but not sure about his injury and does he want to stay after we tried to trade him?

Spot on.

MFC Player Contracts

Contracted to End of 2015

Daniel Cross
Jack Fitzpatrick
Colin Garland
Max Gawn
James Harmes (2nd year rookie)
Jeremy Howe
Jayden Hunt (Assumed, as a 2013 draftee)
Mark Jamar
Max King (2nd year rookie)
Jordie McKenzie
Cameron Pedersen
Jimmy Toumpas
Jack Trengove
Aaron Vendenberg (Assumed, as a 2014 rookie)
Mitchell White (Assumed, as a 2014 rookie)

There are also some other players who may come out of contract this year in the TBC group.

TBC

Rohan Bail
Sam Frost
Viv Michie
Ben Newton
Aidan Riley
Dean Terlich

Dom Tyson
Fitzpatrick, McKenzie, and Pedersen are likely/certainly out of here. Bail too if he is in fact OOC, but I'm pretty sure he's here until the end of 2016. Terlich possibly in the same boat. I'd be turfing Riley too.

I can see us having a look at both Vickery and Lycett. Vickery to play as the relief ruckman...
Vickery is garbage. But then again this is the MFC, so...

Robert Warnock is the one I'd be looking at. Coming to the end of a large contract, and it's possible that the Blues would be keen to let him go if he's demanding similar pay. Only 2.5 years younger than Jamar, but at least gives us some more time to see what Gawn is made of.

Vickery is garbage. But then again this is the MFC, so...

Robert Warnock is the one I'd be looking at. Coming to the end of a large contract, and it's possible that the Blues would be keen to let him go if he's demanding similar pay. Only 2.5 years younger than Jamar, but at least gives us some more time to see what Gawn is made of.
Vickery IS s**t, I will agree. But you undid your argument by suggesting Warnock - he's not worth whatever he's on now.
1062.gif

Could get Zac Smith cheap, reckon he needs a fresh start. Lycett would be good. Hell, even Minson is a better option than Warnock. Jack Hannath from Freo could slot in, and we were keen on him during the draft.

Robert Warnock is woeful and would be a horrific addition.

Off the top of my head, these could be decent, cheapish targets for us: Smith, Gorringe (GC), Leuenberger (Lions, free agent), Hannath (Freo), Sinclair/Lycett (WC), Lobb (GWS)... and/or target the best ruck/forward playing in the state leagues.

Vickery? I hope not. Flakey and can't even get a game ahead of Ben Griffiths.

Guys likely to be available are developing or third ducks like Redden at Port, Gorringe at GC, Sinclair at WC, Currie at North, etc.

Give me Sinclair, think he definitely has the potential to become a first ruck, just needs the chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back