2015 Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

anybody watch 'Footy WA' ? I am impressed with their analysis from Scott Watters, chris connolly and even Hutchy not dribbling on and giving a good local view. 10 times better quality than the normal afl weekend footy show on 9 or 7. in fact I now only watch this. a good half hour review and preview for what coming

This has been annoying me since the NAB cup. What is going on with the graphics on the AFL telecast? Those triangles are ridiculous and you have to actually stop and examine them to see which team they are meant to be if they are grouped together.

Looks like something someones child put together and the banner that gives the score after a goal, looks incomplete. Amatuerish!

Normally things like this wouldn't even bother me but it was obviously just an after thought. Anybody have any information on these that may give some insight. I gather they are meant to resemble a pennant? Crapola if you ask me.

That's all I can find to complain about after another dominant display in the Derby.

This has been annoying me since the NAB cup. What is going on with the graphics on the AFL telecast? Those triangles are ridiculous and you have to actually stop and examine them to see which team they are meant to be if they are grouped together.

Looks like something someones child put together and the banner that gives the score after a goal, looks incomplete. Amatuerish!

Normally things like this wouldn't even bother me but it was obviously just an after thought. Anybody have any information on these that may give some insight. I gather they are meant to resemble a pennant? Crapola if you ask me.

That's all I can find to complain about after another dominant display in the Derby.

As a designer, I like the concept, but the execution is poor given how small the graphics actually are. At least last season the graphics were all of a similar style, but each of the teams were distinguished well - this year all they seem to change is the name and the colour - which isn't much.

anybody watch 'Footy WA' ? I am impressed with their analysis from Scott Watters, chris connolly and even Hutchy not dribbling on and giving a good local view. 10 times better quality than the normal afl weekend footy show on 9 or 7. in fact I now only watch this. a good half hour review and preview for what coming

Is it as good as Eagle Vision though?

I really enjoyed listening to 6PR on Monday night.
As you would expect, there were a fair few WCE fans deriding the Dockers win, saying Dockers only played 1 good quarter of footy & that you need to play 4 quarters to win premierships, etc.
Surprisingly, the normally WCE biased Karl Langdon was having none of it. He & Brad Hardie rubbished these calls, saying Freo had put the cue in the rack for the following week.
One WCE caller said it's unfair that media pundits weren't making any allowances for them having key injuries to 6 starting players. Karl deflected that, saying - What about Freo? They were missing Dawson, Ballantyne, Mzungu, Crowley & Silvagni - good teams don't make excuses.
They read out that STUPID PR piece from the West Coast Eagles website about their dominant display for 3 quarters & took the PI55 out of it.
Thank you Ross Lyon for making these morons eat humble pie.

I really enjoyed listening to 6PR on Monday night.
As you would expect, there were a fair few WCE fans deriding the Dockers win, saying Dockers only played 1 good quarter of footy & that you need to play 4 quarters to win premierships, etc.
Surprisingly, the normally WCE biased Karl Langdon was having none of it. He & Brad Hardie rubbished these calls, saying Freo had put the cue in the rack for the following week.
One WCE caller said it's unfair that media pundits weren't making any allowances for them having key injuries to 6 starting players. Karl deflected that, saying - What about Freo? They were missing Dawson, Ballantyne, Mzungu, Crowley & Silvagni - good teams don't make excuses.
They read out that STUPID PR piece from the West Coast Eagles website about their dominant display for 3 quarters & took the PI55 out of it.
Thank you Ross Lyon for making these morons eat humble pie.

Yes, they also failed to mention that Freo had 2 days less to recover and had to travel back from Geelong, whilst the Budgies stayed at home for 2 weeks.

I heard a couple of Eagles fans call in to say that we can't sustain our pressure for 4 quarters, so they clearly missed our last quarters against Geelong and Port.
:rolleyes:

I watched Footy Classified last night and they did a comparison with our centre clearances this year compared to last year. We are well up this year and they put that down to the Ryan Crowley factor.

They said that having Crowls in the midfield costs us in clearances due to the fact that he is only trying to stop his man and is not contesting the ball himself. Whereas Nick Suban and Clancee Pearce try and win their own ball first and then try and stop their man.

I watched Footy Classified last night and they did a comparison with our centre clearances this year compared to last year. We are well up this year and they put that down to the Ryan Crowley factor.

They said that having Crowls in the midfield costs us in clearances due to the fact that he is only trying to stop his man and is not contesting the ball himself. Whereas Nick Suban and Clancee Pearce try and win their own ball first and then try and stop their man.

I think it is a fair point from Lloyd. I'm not sure I would select Crowley even if he was available.

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2015-04-19/eagles-fall-to-freo?camefrom=EMCL_603494_26338731

A dominant three quarters from West Coast was not enough to defeat Fremantle who scored a comfortable 30-point win in Sunday's Derby at Domain Stadium.

The Dockers equalled their best ever first quarter with 9.2 to lay the platform for the 17.19 (111) to 12.9 (81) victory.

Jackie-Chan-WTF.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched it, thought it was alright and will try watch it next week.

http://www.9jumpin.com.au/show/footywa/episodes/season-2015/episode-3/episode-3/#autoplay

From: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-04-22/changing-the-game; Trendsetters: How your club has changed its game in season 2015.

FREMANTLE The Dockers are reaping the rewards of some of the offensive changes Ross Lyon made in 2014. The Dockers aimed to add two more goals each game and they have done it in a couple of different ways. They trialled a three-tall forward structure in the pre-season and implemented it in the past two games after Matt Taberner missed the first round through injury. The Dockers have taken 13 and 17 marks inside 50 in the past fortnight. Their average in 2014 was 11.3. Lyon has also worked hard with his tall forwards and his resting ruckmen on their positioning inside forward 50 to maximise their height advantage and make the long-ball option more potent. Lyon has also urged his midfielders to press forward at every opportunity to stretch the opposition. That has resulted in 16 midfield goals in the past two weeks from a range of players. The Dockers' team defence remains a constant but their offensive development has many teams very wary of their capabilities. - Alex Malcolm

Ergh, Karl isn't West Coast biased and hasn't been for as long as I've known him. He's a Norf supporter.
Karl is a panderer. He has always been more supportive of Eagles than us, but I think now the weight of numbers is starting to go our way he is far less inclined to make / support outrageously Eagles biased comments.

Some of the rubbish he has sprouted in the past has been beyond ridiculous, but he could always rely on the majority of the talkback callers to support him. Not so much now thankfully.

Don't worry guys; we'll know our future after this weekends game.

If we win; we will be premiership favourites.

If we lose; we just won't cut it at the pointy end.

Such is the fickleness of the AFL media.

Karl is a panderer. He has always been more supportive of Eagles than us, but I think now the weight of numbers is starting to go our way he is far less inclined to make / support outrageously Eagles biased comments.

Some of the rubbish he has sprouted in the past has been beyond ridiculous, but he could always rely on the majority of the talkback callers to support him. Not so much now thankfully.

I disagree. We have been s**t for most of our existence. He has called us out. He has been brutal with his analysis of the eagles in recent years.

Another ex Eagle in the poo.Wirrapunda caught driving 3 times over the limit.Facing court the same day as his mate Kerr.

The silver lining for Wirra is that he was only drink driving because he was celebrating an Eagles victory... meaning regardless of whether the court suspends his licence or not, he won't drink driving any time soon.

I disagree. We have been s**t for most of our existence. He has called us out. He has been brutal with his analysis of the eagles in recent years.
Even until recently, I still think Karl's been a bit of an eagles apologist - not as blatant as some other local AFL media pundits (eg Basil Z), but is certainly overly sympathetic to them.

For example, last season when callers were laying the boot into NicNat about being overrated, Karl was his staunchest defender, saying his game was only down because he was injured. In the offseason I have often heard him say that the Eagles list is underrated.

He often says he's a North supporter / that he's supported them as a kid, etc, but don't you think being part of the inaugural Eagles team & winning 2 Premierships might have some influence on his natural footy perceptions / outlook?

I think he may have become more balanced of late because of the respect that Ross Lyon commands, & because of some insipid performances by WCE.

Of course, the best way of overcoming local institutional media bias is by winning a premiership or two.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back