2015 Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Here is the reason why Mzungu can't get a game.

Mzungu Age 29 (West Australian contracted til end of 2016)
Sheridan Age 21 (Victorian out of contract)

Getting games into Sheridan so he can "sign" or to "fatten up the pig for the market"
That's sad.

As we're a contending team, their priority should be to select the team which gives us the best possible chance of winning.

Getting games into Sheridan so he can "sign" or to "fatten up the pig for the market"
Playing Sheridan hurts his trade value.

I seriously doubt a club in our position, gunning for the upper parts of the AFL table are going to play contract games with players.

Age would have a bit to do with it, but in the end, performance and team balance would be the first and primary thing on the list. If all things are basically equal, then yeah, the younger player might get the nod for the sake of future development and list management, he might even get a bit more leeway in performance etc. But to suggest what you say would be even remotely at the front of the selector's minds is ridiculous.

I don't think in any game this season I have thought "we're really missing Mzungu". I like him, but if he's the next Broughton, so be it.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that? Yeah, in hindsight we hugely overrated Broughts but like Mzungu he was, at the time, clearly AFL quality. The issue some have with Mzungu's non-selection is the fact he's behind guys who probably aren't AFL standard.

Broughton WAS dropped initially for performance issues though from memory? Probably the most comparable situation but still not quite apples with apples. I can't remember back 4 years though so happy to be corrected.

I just realised I had this exact same debate with Clems Knee about 20 pages back in this thread, maybe I do need to get over it already.

Maybe the Boss too suffers from flashbacks and awakes in fits of sweat and anxiety when recollecting that dropped mark during the straight sets exit vs Port last year.....

Maybe the Boss too suffers from flashbacks and awakes in fits of sweat and anxiety when recollecting that dropped mark during the straight sets exit vs Port last year.....

Well, he seems to have forgiven Tabs for similar thing. That ball that slipped right through his hands in the goal square, 2 meters out in the QF vs Sydney - I can see it clear as yesterday (was more difficult than the Gu's though in fairness).

BTW, I'm OK with Tabs now. We've talked it out and on good terms now*

* For anybody wondering, it's a conversation I've had in my head ... maybe out loud, I'm not sure, I do get strange looks on the train these days.

Good Morning fellow Purple Brethren. A few ideas to help our cautious bean counting coach to throw a little of that caution to the wind...

Apologies for the toaster popping up in the background.

This is it, 1st prize.
Playing Sheridan hurts his trade value.
That's sad.

As we're a contending team, their priority should be to select the team which gives us the best possible chance of winning.

Seriously

Sheridan is quicker than Mzungu
Sheridan is a better one on one defender vs small forwards. Sheridan is absolutely brilliant and getting a fist in.
Sheridan is better at breaking the lines.
Skills are equal.

What does Mzungu offer?

He is an outside mid who is not quick, he does not have elite skills. He reminds me a lot of Broughton and I think he will be traded at the end of the year.

Seriously

Sheridan is a better one on one defender vs small forwards. Sheridan is absolutely brilliant and getting a fist in.
Skills are equal.

What does Mzungu offer?

He is an outside mid who is not quick, he does not have elite skills. He reminds me a lot of Broughton and I think he will be traded at the end of the year.

In hindsight I actually agree, Shero should be in the team and have stuck up for him previously but I'm sure we can fit Mz in somewhere as well.

Good Morning fellow Purple Brethren. A few ideas to help our cautious bean counting coach to throw a little of that caution to the wind...

Apologies for the toaster popping up in the background.
Thanks Mr P.

His ideas are all sound, however the move of Hill to HB and Fyfe forward can't work IMO until we get better players in the midfield. We need Hills pace around stoppages due to our lack of pacy options (enter Weller) and we don't have the quality of Fyfe at the stoppages if he goes, we need to replace his ball winning ability (enter Blakely).

This is why I'm surprised we haven't at least given Weller and Blakely a go. They're the answer IMO but I acknowledge that they may not be quite ready to play at the required level for us to make the above changes to but I'd like to see how they'd go.

Also, the move of Macca forward should only happen if we have the luxury of all of Dawson, Pearce and Jonno fit and firing. I'd hate to go into the finals with a back 6 minus Macca and say Jonno for example.

Last edited:
In hindsight I actually agree, Shero should be in the team and have stuck up for him previously but I'm sure we can fit Mz in somewhere as well.

I am more excited about Weller, Blakely and Langdon than I am out Mzungu. I see all four of them fighting to displace de Boer or Suban in the 22.

I like him as a player, but not enough for him to force somebody else out.

My ideal 22, is the current side with Ballas and Johnson coming back in and Suban and de Boer coming out.

I really really hope that Weller gets the opportunity to be the sub, if he plays 2-3 good games it will make selections really tought.

Seriously

Skills are equal.

What does Mzungu offer?

Oh thank goodness!! Finally there is someone that actually sees a little sense in this argument.

Sheridan > Mzungu.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh thank goodness!! Finally there is someone that actually sees a little sense in this argument.

Sheridan > Mzungu.

Happy to see Sheridan in the team but I think quite a few have forgotten how well Mzungu was playing last year. Yes that was last year, but he hasn't had a noticable fall in form, rather he just hasn't been backed in to play a couple of games in a row.

If Gu was allowed to play 3-4 weeks in a row I think you would all be reminded about how much more of a valuable player he is in comparison to DeBoer, Suban, Sheridan, Sutcliffe, Clancey, Crozier.

He is a good kick for goal, reliable in the air, best runner in the team, could tag and developed an awesome tackle (in short, he was a pretty complete player). Someone always misses out but I have been surprised by his demotion this year.

Happy to see Sheridan in the team but I think quite a few have forgotten how well Mzungu was playing last year. Yes that was last year, but he hasn't had a noticable fall in form, rather he just hasn't been backed in to play a couple of games in a row.

If Gu was allowed to play 3-4 weeks in a row I think you would all be reminded about how much more of a valuable player he is in comparison to DeBoer, Suban, Sheridan, Sutcliffe, Clancey, Crozier.

He is a good kick for goal, reliable in the air, best runner in the team, could tag and developed an awesome tackle (in short, he was a pretty complete player). Someone always misses out but I have been surprised by his demotion this year.

I'd take him over Subes or DeBoer.

Seriously

Skills are equal.

What does Mzungu offer?

Yeah, was thinking on the same lines but didn't bother to post. Mzungu has some things going his way though. He's stronger in the body, is pretty good overhead too. He has a massive massive tank and that has really been his most redeeming feature. He gets from contest to contest all game and is running the lines at the end of a game better than most. Mzungu has that plain old maturity/experience about him all round which is an asset, but will come very soon in Sherro if he keeps playing.

But yeah, all things considered, I genuinely think Sheridan is the better player, especially for our needs.

Yeah, was thinking on the same lines but didn't bother to post. Mzungu has some things going his way though. He's stronger in the body, is pretty good overhead too. He has a massive massive tank and that has really been his most redeeming feature. He gets from contest to contest all game and is running the lines at the end of a game better than most. Mzungu has that plain old maturity/experience about him all round which is an asset, but will come very soon in Sherro if he keeps playing.

But yeah, all things considered, I genuinely think Sheridan is the better player, especially for our needs.

As his buddy, I can't let these thing slide. ;).

Interesting listening to Boomer on 360, referred to the Crowley thing a couple of times when pressed on if he regretted anything done off field, couldve been handled better etc.

He's still a lying sook, but appears as he realises he came out of it looking worse than Crowley.

I think Sheridan is heavily underrated here. I would much rather have him in the side than Suban or De Boer. He breaks lines, and that's a valuable thing in the AFL.

I think Sheridan is heavily underrated here. I would much rather have him in the side than Suban or De Boer. He breaks lines, and that's a valuable thing in the AFL.

Agreed and he is a great kick to a leading forward (except last week!!), kicks a goal most times when he lines up which should not be underestimated when he moves to the centreline in years to come.

How often does he break lines against sides that aren't complete s**t?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back