2015 Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed and he is a great kick to a leading forward (except last week!!), kicks a goal most times when he lines up which should not be underestimated when he moves to the centreline in years to come.

I am hoping he turns out as good as some on here are saying. But he has missed leading targets when under pressure often. He has also completely stuffed a few simple fifteen meter kicks after tacking a mark in defence that have cost us. Having said that last part so have Macca and Johnson. I'm not saying he sucks or is crap. Just that I haven't seen the great kick of his.

He was running into fifty last week and passed the thing off... Pulling hair out moment.

People seem to form an opinion of players early and are not able to change it or their perspective.

Things from other boards and here as examples:

Stephen Hill can't win his own ball. (Very rarely seen here but on other boards. He has developed into a very good contested player)

Suban is a very good wet weather player (despite him having a terrible run of form through our last seven games... All in the wet) also suban is a great kick. When he is a long kick. Their is a difference.

I hope Sheridan turns into this line breaking great kicking mid that some are saying he is. But it has very rarely been seen. Much less that sutty when he was in form on both the kicking and running side.

Imo he does a few nice things each game and a few silly things each game. Doesn't Impact consistently enough and hasn't yet found a way to get on the end of chains of possession regularly enough to see if he truly has a great kick and is line breaking or is a bit streaky with both. It's a bit sad for a fourth year former first rounder but the jury is very much out on him imo. He is way less developed than peers who are getting games regularly from his draft class but also shows some irregular flashes of class and potential.

Suban is a very good wet weather player (despite him having a terrible run of form through our last seven games... All in the wet) also suban is a great kick. When he is a long kick. Their is a difference.
I believe we have an entire thread dedicated to the Suban hate elsewhere, but to correct the record, he had his best game of the year in the wet, against Adelaide, within our last seven games. He also had what was arguably his second best game of the year against Brisbane, three weeks ago, also in the wet.
When it comes to whether he has a "great kick", no it's certainly not one of the team's most accurate, but it is fast and long, and he can deliver it quickly off a few steps. A penetrating kick from out of midfield congestion is a valuable commodity.

I believe we have an entire thread dedicated to the Suban hate elsewhere, but to correct the record, he had his best game of the year in the wet, against Adelaide, within our last seven games. He also had what was arguably his second best game of the year against Brisbane, three weeks ago, also in the wet.
When it comes to whether he has a "great kick", no it's certainly not one of the team's most accurate, but it is fast and long, and he can deliver it quickly off a few steps. A penetrating kick from out of midfield congestion is a valuable commodity.

Didn't think there was any suban hate involved in what I said... I don't think he played above a C grade against those teams but his others in the wet were terrible. As for quick disposal.... I don't know, I didn't think he got rid of it well when he gets rid of it quickly but I haven't looked too much for it either so I'll take a look over the next three to four games as see what I see :)

Interesting that you didn't pick up on anything else in the post or even discuss the perceptions bias. We were discussing Sheridan.... Perhaps you'd like to discuss that?

Didn't think there was any suban hate involved in what I said... I don't think he played above a C grade against those teams but his others in the wet were terrible. As for quick disposal.... I don't know, I didn't think he got rid of it well when he gets rid of it quickly but I haven't looked too much for it either so I'll take a look over the next three to four games as see what I see :)

Interesting that you didn't pick up on anything else in the post or even discuss the perceptions bias. We were discussing Sheridan.... Perhaps you'd like to discuss that?
Look, you did say "terrible run of form", indicating Suban has somehow been off during that period. I don't think that is true.
In my view there is a disproportionate energy put into discussing Suban on Big Footy (of which I'm now guilty!) compared with the conversations I have with other Freo fans, a fair amount of which is based on some basic misunderstandings. But there's probably a better place to have that conversation.

As for Sheridan, well we judge him as a prospect don't we? Lachie was pretty rough on his disposal early on - I think the young guys usually lack that little bit of extra composure that comes with experience, and I'd expect Sheridan to get past that. Compared to his first game back in against the Doggies, where he looked all at sea, on the weekend he seemed to do a much better job of getting into the game. As has been mentioned before, he needs to also show it against top opposition, though there were glimpses of that in round 1.

Look, you did say "terrible run of form", indicating Suban has somehow been off during that period. I don't think that is true.
In my view there is a disproportionate energy put into discussing Suban on Big Footy (of which I'm now guilty!) compared with the conversations I have with other Freo fans, a fair amount of which is based on some basic misunderstandings. But there's probably a better place to have that conversation.

As for Sheridan, well we judge him as a prospect don't we? Lachie was pretty rough on his disposal early on - I think the young guys usually lack that little bit of extra composure that comes with experience, and I'd expect Sheridan to get past that. Compared to his first game back in against the Doggies, where he looked all at sea, on the weekend he seemed to do a much better job of getting into the game. As has been mentioned before, he needs to also show it against top opposition, though there were glimpses of that in round 1.

If saying terrible run of form is 'hate' ..... I obviously disagree on his form and would love to hear at some point maybe pm how he is in good form.

But back to Sheridan - I agree he is developing. But as he was drafted the same year I would say that neale is also still developing. The issue unfortunately for whatever reason is Sheridan is four years in... At what point is he not seen as developing but developed? I'm not saying he is at that point but simply asking. 4th year player, still inconsistently impacting games and still doing the odd good thing and the odd poor thing.

He isn't near the consistency of neale yet. Fair to say we have quite the player in neale though! I'm also not sure how far ahead of blakely and Weller he is. Will be interesting to see how he fits in long term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back