2015 Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Not many punters backing Freo....kinda worried

http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/08/19/2015-afl-season-round-21-preview/

North Melbourne versus Fremantle

While Fremantle’s bid for a maiden minor premiership still remains on track, their occupation of top spot on the ladder is now vulnerable following a disappointing loss to the West Coast Eagles in the Western Derby last Sunday.

A slow start in which they conceded seven goals in the opening quarter eventually cost them the chance to all but wrap up the minor premiership, and facing a resurgent North Melbourne at Etihad Stadium would be the last thing Ross Lyon would want as his Dockers attempt to bounce back from their poor Derby showing.

Not helping their cause is that Alex Silvagni will be out for four weeks after being suspended following an off-the-ball incident in the second quarter last week, while Luke McPharlin still remains in doubt due to injury.

The Roos’ surge towards September continued when they won their sixth straight game last week, coming from behind to defeat St Kilda by 37 points in Hobart and thus putting their poor first half of the season well and truly behind them.

It was during that first half of the season in which the Roos were exposed as pretenders when they crashed to a 73-point loss to the Dockers at Domain Stadium in Round 8. If the Roos are to avenge that defeat, they’ll have to do it without Jack Ziebell, who copped a one-game ban for striking Saints defender Jack Newnes.

Will the Roos’ home ground advantage help them, or will the Dockers bounce back from last week’s Western Derby disappointment? I think the Roos can continue their resurgence here.

Prediction: North Melbourne by 20 points.

Not many punters backing Freo....kinda worried

http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/08/19/2015-afl-season-round-21-preview/

North Melbourne versus Fremantle

While Fremantle’s bid for a maiden minor premiership still remains on track, their occupation of top spot on the ladder is now vulnerable following a disappointing loss to the West Coast Eagles in the Western Derby last Sunday.

Will the Roos’ home ground advantage help them, or will the Dockers bounce back from last week’s Western Derby disappointment? I think the Roos can continue their resurgence here.

Prediction: North Melbourne by 20 points.

Actually, with mastermind's traditional tipping against Freo in all conceivable circumstances, the team will be fine. It's a bit like when Cometti mentions Freo in one of his articles in The Worst or Whateley clears his throat to talk about Fremantle, I just discount the opinion outright.

Actually, with mastermind's traditional tipping against Freo in all conceivable circumstances, the team will be fine. It's a bit like when Cometti mentions Freo in one of his articles in The Worst or Whateley clears his throat to talk about Fremantle, I just discount the opinion outright.

It was pretty funny on AFL 360 on Monday night when Chris Scott was talking about how good Hawthorn are and he said they're well-coached etc. Then he added that Freo is similarly well-coached. There was a slight pause before Gerard turned to Paul Roos and said, totally ignoring the Freo comment from Chris Scott, "so are you impressed with the Western Bulldogs?"

today's report on Mastiff wasn't very biased now was it?!? It attacked Suban for "breaking a player's code". So, players should be encouraged to bite now??

Nothing highlighted the association that the West have with the WCE more than today's back page.
Laughable really. The implication being that Suban should have lied to protect Masten, even though biting is about as low as you can go, and he was recorded on tape saying "he bit me!" three times.

Meanwhile, WC told the tribunal that Cripps is still suffering the effects of Silvagni's hit and he's going to miss a week of training and blah blah - no help for Silvagni from them, and yet WC players and the West (Coast) Australian start questioning the player's code and Suban's character.

I have been listening to Melbourne radio today and most of it has been disbelief about the penalty and nothing about Suban, other than talking about the Will Schofield tweet (most saying that Schofield should be more concerned about his team mate biting on the field than a fictional player's code).

Not that there has been a lot on about it.

Laughable really. The implication being that Suban should have lied to protect Masten, even though biting is about as low as you can go, and he was recorded on tape saying "he bit me!" three times.

Meanwhile, WC told the tribunal that Cripps is still suffering the effects of Silvagni's hit and he's going to miss a week of training and blah blah - no help for Silvagni from them, and yet WC players and the West (Coast) Australian start questioning the player's code and Suban's character.

Schofield was dead out of line. If there ever was a code (debatable) it is long gone. In fact I remember vividly back when the other biting case was heard which by the way was another WC player, all of the WC supporters squealing about the code being broken when Viney gave evidence.

Of course Schofield wouldn't remember that but I'm sure Monkey Brennan was one of the one's squealing so its a case of like father like son.

The West taking that angle of the story as the lead story on the incident was laughable, you're right. And every case that goes to the MRP and tribunal these days has the victims club giving a medical report so it showed how intellectually challenged Schofield is. I'd say the club were the ones telling him to delete the tweet.

I have been listening to Melbourne radio today and most of it has been disbelief about the penalty and nothing about Suban, other than talking about the Will Schofield tweet (most saying that Schofield should be more concerned about his team mate biting on the field than a fictional player's code).

Not that there has been a lot on about it.

Understandably, due to most people being able to see past club colours and determining between right and wrong, you can be assured that any angst towards Suban is exclusively coming from inside the WCE and some (most) of their supporters.

Understandably, due to most people being able to see past club colours and determining between right and wrong, you can be assured that any angst towards Suban is exclusively coming from inside the WCE and some (most) of their supporters.

I fully expect there to be outrage on AFL360 tonight about how light the penalty for Masten is.

Good comment by Duffield in the west online about toast being a bit precious. Along the lines of Suban being called unsportsmanlike before he was asked to give evidence. Code my arse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

there was a cretinous Collingwood supporter on the main board defending CM - shouldn't be surprised. Was ironical when his own coach said the penalty wasn't enough.

Interesting on this weeks burning question on the freo site about useless things you've bought, a few players said thongs cause they're not allowed to wear them anymore..
Would that be a team thing? Wonder the reasoning?

Interesting on this weeks burning question on the freo site about useless things you've bought, a few players said thongs cause they're not allowed to wear them anymore..
Would that be a team thing? Wonder the reasoning?

Ask a pediatrist what he thinks of thongs.

I'd say the players that gave that answer wear orthotics which can't be worn with things.

Yeah I was expecting rabid 6PR types blindly defending the Eagles but it was very heavily weighted against Masten and the players who criticised Suban for defending himself.

That supposed players code has never ever helped a Freo player......EVER! Good on Suban for coming forward. Biting isn't cool and the players shouldn't expect to get away with it.

RTB in reference to whether we'd managed players against West Coast:-
"I hear that narrative, that story line, that posturing, but we don't get caught up in it because if you do....and maybe at a subconscious level that has been sitting on the players mind and maybe some of our key staff around the place. But it is not on mine, it is not on my agenda. When you do that and those little conversations start happening and you hear the external noise that you're in a position to rest, you get sharp reminders in the AFL. So that's exactly where we sit."

I am guessing that productivity might have gone through the roof down at the Club this week with 'Key Staff' keeping their heads down. It's the final question in the last minute of the interview and the thunder that follows is quite apt. RTB's response gives the impression that complacency set in last week.

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/video/2015-08-21/hopeful-for-pavlich-lyon

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back