2015 Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The West/WCE so badly want Yeo to be their Fyfe. It's not gonna happen.
yup they have basically gone tall, young, possible midfielder = Fyfe. At the same age in a GF Yeo had 5 touches and Fyfe had 28 :)
Yeo showed enough this year to suggest he's going to be a very good player. Some of his marking and general play was very Fyfe like. Its not like they've just plucked someone off the street and stuck a Fyfe mask on him. The similarities are there.
Just because he had a quiet grand final, he's not the first young player to do so in the biggest game of the year. The mark and goal he took was very impressive. Not even the real Fyfe managed to do that on Grand Final day. He missed his shots at goal.

Yeo showed enough this year to suggest he's going to be a very good player. Some of his marking and general play was very Fyfe like. Its not like they've just plucked someone off the street and stuck a Fyfe mask on him. The similarities are there.
Just because he had a quiet grand final, he's not the first young player to do so in the biggest game of the year. The mark and goal he took was very impressive. Not even the real Fyfe managed to do that on Grand Final day. He missed his shots at goal.
That's not really fair on Fyfe. Being at both of the games, Fyfe missed set shots in extremely swirly gusty winds. Yeo got his on the nicest of days in perfect weather. And at least Fyfe didn't go to sleep the rest of the game. If he kicked straight he probably would've been our first Normy (and he did still get a vote for it).

Yeo's going to be a good player sure, but he's not exactly making it an elite level. And he's so inconsistent.

That's not really fair on Fyfe. Being at both of the games, Fyfe missed set shots in extremely swirly gusty winds. Yeo got his on the nicest of days in perfect weather. And at least Fyfe didn't go to sleep the rest of the game. If he kicked straight he probably would've been our first Normy (and he did still get a vote for it).

Yeo's going to be a good player sure, but he's not exactly making it an elite level. And he's so inconsistent.
I only responded because I didn't think it was fair to snickering at Yeo and saying he's nothing like Fyfe fair. He does take spectacular high marks and do mercurial things.
And it was reported that conditions at the MCG for the grannie were swirly at ground level. So many Eagles missed what should have been soda just like ours did. For Yeo to kick a clutch goal after the siren after pulling down a Fyfe like mark was a strong endorsement of his skill and temperament.

Anyway I'm in a contrary mood and stressed out because I'm in my last 4 weeks of uni so I'm just blowing off steam.

This place sucks you into the schadenfreude thing of devaluing other teams and players because their supporters are idiots and I'm trying not to do that. I don't understand running down Eagles players to feel better about ourselves so I always go into bat for Naitanui too because I like him and love watching him play. I find I enjoy footy more if I appreciate good football no matter who's playing.

I only responded because I didn't think it was fair to snickering at Yeo and saying he's nothing like Fyfe fair. He does take spectacular high marks and do mercurial things.

This place sucks you into the schadenfreude thing of devaluing other teams and players because their supporters are idiots and I'm trying not to do that. I don't understand running down Eagles players to feel better about ourselves so I always go into bat for Naitanui too because I like him and love watching him play. I find I enjoy footy more if I appreciate good football no matter who's playing.

Could never dislike Naitanui the person, does too many good things around the community and a genuine good bloke. I believe he was at the bedside of that swan districts player who suffered the head injury for many many days.

I will however continue to have small cracks about how little he gets involved in play around the ground and his marking especially considering the physical attributes he has.

A great article from Paul Duffield, and sums up my opinion very well.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/29741701/do-not-risk-giant-rip-off/

But the pursuit of Greater Western Sydney forward Cam McCarthy for 2016 smacks of desperation. McCarthy is very talented, but he is contracted until the end of 2017.

To pull off that trade you have to convince the Giants. Which means you have to convince them they are winning on the deal. Which means you are probably losing on the deal.

Win-win trades are rare. There is usually clear winners and losers.

Often the winners turn out to be the party which has to be talked into the trade.

But the pursuit of Greater Western Sydney forward Cam McCarthy for 2016 smacks of desperation. McCarthy is very talented, but he is contracted until the end of 2017.

To pull off that trade you have to convince the Giants. Which means you have to convince them they are winning on the deal. Which means you are probably losing on the deal.

Often the winners turn out to be the party which has to be talked into the trade.

What ever the case - in Bondy we trust.

You mean Mark Duffield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent article and shows the real problems Freo face in getting McCarthy at a reasonable price.

Only way this can come of is if Cam McCarthy makes it clear he will not return under any circumstances, this would be hard to do when you are contracted but I don't know his personal circumstances.

But the pursuit of Greater Western Sydney forward Cam McCarthy for 2016 smacks of desperation.

We ARE desperate — to win a flag!

Shall we examine the last few years' results, without another key target besides Matthew Pavlich up forward?

2012: No big-time foil for Pav — valiantly bowed out in a semifinal.
2013: No big-time foil for Pav — valiantly lost in the Grand Final.
2014: No big-time foil for Pav — unceremoniously ousted in straight sets.
2015: No big-time foil for Pav — had everything set up to win the flag, but a too-good, eventual three-peat premier with superior skills outclassed us.

While Pav so far is undecided about playing on, if he does, guess what type of player we need (see 2012-2015)? If he retires, Matt Taberner is our primary key forward, unless Coach Lyon & Co. decide to move Nat Fyfe into Pav's role. Cam McCarthy, simply put, is a better option as a tall forward than anyone else we have on the list.

Get him. Pull out all the stops. Overpay if you must. McCarthy isn't the savior, but by adding him AND Harley Bennell AND moving Fyfe forward much more and we've found that elusive two extra goals per game the coaching staff want (even if Pav hangs up the boots) to make us more of an offensive threat.

To get something of value, you have to give up something of value.

More reasons to pull out all the stops:

Recruited Travis Cloke — rejected.
Recruited Nick Riewoldt — rejected.
Recruited Jack Riewoldt — rejected.
Recruited Harry Taylor — rejected.
Recruited Jay Schulz — rejected.
Recruited Aaron Black — rejected.
Recruited Ryan Schoenmakers — rejected.
Recruited Scott Gumbleton — accepted, promptly blew out his hammy in his second NAB Challenge match and never played a single second of a home-and-away match for Freo.

Now we have a key tall who's not only developing into a gun player, but who's been a Freo fan for life, a WA boy who's throwing himself at the Dockers and who would perfectly slot into the role on the team we're DESPERATE (there's that word again) to fill...and there's DEBATE over whether to give up two No. 1 picks (themselves no sure things, especially in a shallow draft pool like this year's) for him?

Come on.

That's a deal that needs to be done in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
We ARE desperate — to win a flag!

Shall we examine the last few years' results, without another key target besides Matthew Pavlich up forward?

2012: No big-time foil for Pav — valiantly bowed out in a semifinal.
2013: No big-time foil for Pav — valiantly lost in the Grand Final.
2014: No big-time foil for Pav — unceremoniously ousted in straight sets.
2015: No big-time foil for Pav — had everything set up to win the flag, but a too-good, eventual three-peat premier with superior skills outclassed us.

While Pav so far is undecided about playing on, if he does, guess what type of player we need (see 2012-2015)? If he retires, Matt Taberner is our primary key forward, unless Coach Lyon & Co. decide to move Nat Fyfe into Pav's role. Cam McCarthy, simply put, is a better option as a tall forward than anyone else we have on the list.

Get him. Pull out all the stops. Overpay if you must. McCarthy isn't the savior, but by adding him AND Harley Bennell AND moving Fyfe forward much more and we've found that elusive two extra goals per game the coaching staff want (even if Pav hangs up the boots) to make us more of an offensive threat.

To get something of value, you have to give up something of value.

More reasons to pull out all the stops:

Recruited Travis Cloke — rejected.
Recruited Nick Riewoldt — rejected.
Recruited Jack Riewoldt — rejected.
Recruited Harry Taylor — rejected.
Recruited Jay Schulz — rejected.
Recruited Aaron Black — rejected.
Recruited Ryan Schoenmakers — rejected.
Recruited Scott Gumbleton — accepted, promptly blew out his hammy in his second NAB Challenge match and never played a single second of a home-and-away match for Freo.

Now we have a key tall who's not only developing into a gun player, but who's been a Freo fan for life, a WA boy who's throwing himself at the Dockers and who would perfectly slot into the role on the team we're DESPERATE (there's that word again) to fill...and there's DEBATE over whether to give up two No. 1 picks (themselves no sure things, especially in a shallow draft pool like this year's) for him?

Come on.

That's a deal that needs to be done in a heartbeat.

It will happen - based on what weve heard about Sunshine being in WA and refusing to go back - helps being a stubborn child

Terry Wallace and Damien Barrett with their review in advance of the trading period.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I read this today:

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/f...sada-drug-testing-mishap-20151030-gknfcc.html

The Fremantle Dockers website has removed news articles about its players' off-season antics after it was fined $5000 for failing to keep ASADA informed about its players whereabouts.

Under the league's anti-doping code, AFL clubs are required to keep ASADA informed about the whereabouts of its players at all times, including during the off-season, to allow for random drug testing.

Fremantle and Collingwood were sanctioned on Friday for failing to notify ASADA about the movements of two and three of their players respectively.

Collingwood was fined $7500.

All five players for the two teams failed to keep their clubs informed of their movements but will not be individually penalised under the code.

Dockers players are currently enjoying the off-season break with some taking the opportunity to travel overseas.

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/f...ing-mishap-20151030-gknfcc.html#ixzz3q8va2a95

I then go and look at the Freo website:

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2015-10-28/the-players-take-a-break

After a gruelling season the players are now enjoying a well deserved break from the club.

With overseas trips, weddings and catching up with family, the players are keeping busy during the break.

Here's the latest on what the guys are up to.

o_O

Remove this Banner Ad

Back