2015 Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

D. Barrett is such a flog:mad:

He played the kids like Neale and Sutcliffe, that's how they got to 50 odd games!

Yeah it was a terrible article. What the real factor is that Lyon prefers to play the same team week in and out if there are no injuries. This leads to a more consistent team effort week in week out.

I got the feeling that the title was a touch tongue in cheek. Lyon is known for not playing the kids, but that doesn't mean the kids aren't developing and unlike St Kilda we have a very strong core of kids up and coming. So the future is bright, etc.

Outside of the Sydney game in isolation he's missed the fact we've played a heap of kids since Lyon started - and that their ability to break into the team is dependent on them surpassing the players already there. Not a case of being gifted games.

I was also confused at which angle he was going for.

Sutcliffe, Neale, Sheridan, Crozier, Taberner, Hannath, Apeness not considered youngsters?

Jesus guys, that article was clearly positive. He mentioned how much more our kids were developing compared to St Kilda when Lyon was there.

Jesus guys, that article was clearly positive. He mentioned how much more our kids were developing compared to St Kilda when Lyon was there.

I didn't get that far. I didn't like the feel of the first few paragraphs so i hit the little X in the top corner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And concluded with 'Lyon doesnt play kids'

The only clear thing about the article was that it was clearly poorly written.

It looked like he got half way through the article, and then someone pointed out the they are playing Sutcliffe, Neale, Taberner, Crozier, Sheridan and have another 6+ young kids dominating the WAFL so he added a bit to the end of the article but couldn't be bothered rewriting the whole thing.

I'm like how he wrote
Just one of the 22 who took the team to its 4-0 scoreline to open the 2015 season had played less than 50 matches, Matt Taberner.

It completely ignores the fact that 2 players hit their 50 game target during those games, and that Sheridan & Crozier did play, just not all 4 games :drunk:. That one sentence discredits the article because it's so factually incorrect. If Sheridan & Crozier played a game each, that means more than 22 players have played this season. If he means players that played all 4 games, then it should be a number less than 22 - and doesn't include Tabs

Last edited:
Actually lets give real figures:
20 players have played all 4 games for an average of 137 career games
1 player has played 3 games for 16 career games
1 player has played 2 games for 108 career games
3 players have played 1 game for an average of 44 career games

That's a total of 25 players for an average of 120 career games

the real factor is that Lyon prefers to play the same team week in and out if there are no injuries. This leads to a more consistent team effort week in week out.

Another real factor (which he omitted to mention because it would take a few minutes' research to actually find out) is that Freo are minus three 1st round picks in young Simpson, Pitt and Morabito.

Actually lets give real figures:
20 players have played all 4 games for an average of 137 career games
1 player has played 3 games for 16 career games
1 player has played 2 games for 108 career games
3 players have played 1 game for an average of 44 career games

That's a total of 25 players for an average of 120 career games

You would embarrass him if you could post that detail in a comments section of the article.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back