2015 Membership discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The notion of bronze, silver and gold memberships doesn't worry me in the slightest. I've been a member on and off for nearly 20 years and didn't bother taking out armchair memberships to "hold"my status in the years when, due to personal circumstances, I didn't take out memberships.

As a result, I'm still a bronze member and that doesn't worry me. But the brown lanyard was a bit too far. It just means that I won't bother wearing it at work, which probably means about a hundred less conversations about the Lions.

I'm not upset about it. Just not something I'm going to wear. In fact, I've thrown it at the back of the cupboard and its next stop is probably the bin. It doesn't look like it is Lions merchandise. The two most prominent aspects are the colour and the fact that it says in large type "BRONZE MEMBER". The premiership lion can barely been seen. Even the Paddlepop is lost among the other crap like sponsors' logos.

Not exactly a major issue but just a bit of an error IMO.

Last year's was blue.

Ah I misread. I thought people were taking objection to lanyards outing them as a particular "tier" of member rather than the aesthetics.

Anyway, seems a pretty small issue.

Speaking of which, where are our terrible quality (bordering on unlistenable) headphones this year?

Ah I misread. I thought people were taking objection to lanyards outing them as a particular "tier" of member rather than the aesthetics.
The level of membership is the dominant part of the product though. The colour and the text don't look like the Lions at all. It doesn't worry me to be "outed" as a bronze member but I think they've got the branding arse about.

The level of membership is the dominant part of the product though. The colour and the text don't look like the Lions at all. It doesn't worry me to be "outed" as a bronze member but I think they've got the branding arse about.

Yeah, like I said... I misread. ;)

Pretty sure it isn't a new phenomenon though. Last year may have been different but I am almost certain I've had predominantly silver/gold lanyards in previous years.

As a Collingwood supporter said to me when she saw my new lanyard the other day..."thats weird, we are black and white and it is always that way."

That's how ours should be....maroon, gold and blue, change it around a bit each year, but always maroon, gold and blue.

As stated, its not a big issue, just annoying when they go to the trouble of a) having them made for us b) giving us one in our packages

I simply would like it to LOOK like the Lions lanyard, not another team.

Its just about getting those little simple things right imo.

As a Collingwood supporter said to me when she saw my new lanyard the other day..."thats weird, we are black and white and it is always that way."

That's how ours should be....maroon, gold and blue, change it around a bit each year, but always maroon, gold and blue.

As stated, its not a big issue, just annoying when they go to the trouble of a) having them made for us b) giving us one in our packages

I simply would like it to LOOK like the Lions lanyard, not another team.

Its just about getting those little simple things right imo.

Yep and last years was predominately blue but had Maroon and Gold on it - I'm sure with the Lions logo and stating what type of member you were.

Yeah, like I said... I misread. ;)

Pretty sure it isn't a new phenomenon though. Last year may have been different but I am almost certain I've had predominantly silver/gold lanyards in previous years.

Wouldn't you rather have it in our colours, rather the colour of your status at the club?

I personally prefer the colours of my club than showing my status.....that's irrelevant imo.

Wouldn't you rather have it in our colours, rather the colour of your status at the club?

I wasn't stating my preference, just that they've dabbled with this in the past.

That said, I'm sure there are some people who like the fact that they've got a gold lanyard etc showing how long they've been a consecutive member.

Can't buy anything these days without being flogged some customer loyalty card. ;)

It's just a piece of cloth to me, I don't normally wear it, and that is speaking as a gold member. :p I was a bit miffed a few years ago when we missed out on some pretty nice gold members caps because members voted for yet another maroon one though. Like the previous 10 years worth of maroon or blue caps weren't enough!

That said, I'm sure there are some people who like the fact that they've got a gold lanyard etc showing how long they've been a consecutive member.

Happy to admit that I am one of those people even if nobody but myself cares.

Hawks members get scarves which say how many years they have been a member - I don't wear a scarf to the footy but I reckon if the one I'm getting in my members pack had how many years I had been a member (fwiw since first season of the merger) I'd probably consider wearing it to games.

BTW, as stupid a question as it probably is, are the gold member lanyards gold?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Holy crap, these Bronze lanyards are ******* terrible, looks like I'm supporting the Dubbo Diarrheas or something.

Don't people have pockets? Honestly who wears a lanyard??

My pockets are filled with pizza pockets, any other ideas smart guy??

Last edited:
Holy crap, these Bronze lanyards are ******* terrible, looks like I'm supporting the Dubbo Diarrheas or something.

It's all you deserve bronze scum. Earn your stripes!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back