Official Club Stuff 2015 Membership Tally - Final Tally - *47305

Remove this Banner Ad

Coming off a 13th place finish, with little prospect of immediate success, our membership sell is going to be quite difficult despite the playing list turnover. At the moment all the club can sell is hope for the future & history tells us that Carlton supporter buy-in is not the same as that of Collingwood or Richmond supporters, so hope alone won't cut it for some.

I am expecting a further drop-off in membership for the 2015 season, but hopefully a Top 8 finish for the season will get membership numbers heading in the right direction in 2016.

I would think there would be more than this suggests. I'm an AFL member with Carlton Club support package but I suspect my numbers were already included even before auto renew. I had an e-mail well before the auto renew date with my AFL member ID which I then used to vote on Carlton traditional jumper and at that stage it was still 3 or 4 days before November 28th. Mine was probably included in count some time ago but how accurate the count is, well got no idea. Only really matters what the final tally is. Member numbers are hard to read from press for sometime because we do not really know how each club does it. Some clubs have packages where only 1 to 3 games and still counted like a full member. Some clubs only count 11 plus game packages. I don't trust the numbers I read in newspapers unless it is fully categorized.

The only numbers to trust are the final tallies the AFL releases at the cut off date which from memory, is at the end of June.

19,895 as at 2nd December.

That's a poor number. Not because of auto renew or because lower than this time last year but because I'm struggling to come up with a clear 17 formula

1 + (98)/9 + 5 = 17 (rounded slightly)

(1*9) - 9 - 8 + 5^2 (if allowed to add in power of)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll never understand this obsession with numbers when it comes to members. Obviously the bigger the better, but I'm not embarrassed or concerned that we're below Richmond etc.

The main reason is that those numbers translate to revenue and (imo more importantly) future potential revenue. Our average revenue per membership is really high compared to the other clubs and a lot of that can be attributed to competition for higher packages and demand for finals tickets.... driven largely from a successful history with a big supporter base.

Now if your base numbers don't grow, neither does the competition between membership tiers (more money). It's much easier to up sell members to higher packages than 'supporters' who aren't as invested. Even though their average revenue per membership is quite low now (party due to Tassie split), Hawthorn has a huge number of youth members, which in time will be full paying adults all competing for high priced membership packages.

We're probably seeing the effects of our horrible years between the 2000's and now a lack of member growth. More mediocrity in growing the membership numbers will leave us far behind the top 8 clubs and cement our spot as another middle of the road side.

The main reason is that those numbers translate to revenue and (imo more importantly) future potential revenue. Our average revenue per membership is really high compared to the other clubs and a lot of that can be attributed to competition for higher packages and demand for finals tickets.... driven largely from a successful history with a big supporter base.

Now if your base numbers don't grow, neither does the competition between membership tiers (more money). It's much easier to up sell members to higher packages than 'supporters' who aren't as invested. Even though their average revenue per membership is quite low now (party due to Tassie split), Hawthorn has a huge number of youth members, which in time will be full paying adults all competing for high priced membership packages.

We're probably seeing the effects of our horrible years between the 2000's and now a lack of member growth. More mediocrity in growing the membership numbers will leave us far behind the top 8 clubs and cement our spot as another middle of the road side.
We also make more from less memberships because we charge more and give less for the money, but hey, we're Carlton * the rest!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back