2015 Membership Thread - Can we get 35,000

Remove this Banner Ad

And the bounce continues!

A lovely looking upwards trend, and our membership is coming along very nicely as well.
zHWI5GK.png
[/IMG]
zHWI5GK.png
[/IMG]
zHWI5GK.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at the graph we usually get a good 3k or 4k more members from this point. We really are a chance of breaking the record which would be ******* brilliant. A win against Adelaide this week would be absolutely huge.

Wow. I was as pessimistic as anyone about membership numbers a month or two back, but that is an amazing recovery.

If we could somehow beat Adelaide or Sydney, we might even be a show to get near 35,000 after all. And I would never have been happier to have egg on my face.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are certainly not helped by the fixturing when it comes to attracting people to become members. I struggle to make Sunday fixtures due to my own sporting participation, but when I do its against clubs like Adelaide. Members and non-members alike, the atmosphere at these games doesn't really inspire, and so attendance is down. I buy a membership on the basis I will only go to 5 games and justify it on terms other than value for money, but for many it is difficult to justify $200-300 to attend 5 games a season. Especially when you can rock up on the day and pay $25 a game.

Contrast to fans of Essendon who feel obliged to buy membership to ensure a seat for games at Docklands. Or Richmond fans who are rewarded with big games in good time slots against Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon etc. and our value proposition sets us at a distinct disadvantage.

Unfortunately there is little we can do until we start winning games of football and pressing for top 4 on the ladder. This is when the AFL will provide better fixturing and the neutrals and general fans more encouraged to attend and create a better atmosphere leading to membership growth.

My wife and I also got a long distance membership (+cheersquad) this year as unfortunately we're relocating from Melbourne back to the ACT soon. We were cheersquad last year and got to almost every home and away game, even getting to go out and hold up the banner a half dozen or so times. It was an amazing experience but at least we're still members and can still get involved in a few games before we go!

However we also got free tickets recently. Last weekend being an away game we didn't have tickets and as we were lining up at Gate 1 to buy tickets some lovely lady (dogs supporter) came up and gave us spare tickets that she had because we were doggies supporters too, which was very kind. We were grateful and thanked her profusely.

(Thanks again random lady!)

Same lady handed me a ticket whilst I was lining up with my partner who is not a member this season. Free beer at the Wharf Hotel, free ticket for the game and a great win!

You make an interesting point amnesiac . Adelaide (and maybe Port?) have such a following that they can't fit all the members into their home ground so I think there is a waiting list (for Adelaide FC at least). The threshold is somewhere around 50,000. Not sure why they would have a waiting list - couldn't they just sell more memberships and say "first in, best dressed"? Perhaps they have more commitment to member welfare than Essendon etc? I really haven't looked into that side of things.

Anyway there is obviously going to be a similar threshold for Etihad tenants (probably would be around 45,000) and once membership gets to that level it becomes a "kicker" for membership. That is, the supply side has a physical limit and the fans know that their best chance of seeing a live game is to become a member, so those who might not normally buy a season ticket feel obliged to do so. That may be what has helped the Collingwood and Essendon memberships to rocket in recent years. If we ever got to that level we could even score more games at the MCG too.

However we do need to distinguish between full season members and those who only buy 3-5 game memberships. I reckon a significant proportion of memberships are for fewer than 11 games so the membership tally is deceptive.

As you say, the atmosphere is better for fans and players alike once we get close to a full house.

It would be nice to get to that point. :) Only about another 25,000 full members to go! :(

You make an interesting point amnesiac . Adelaide (and maybe Port?) have such a following that they can't fit all the members into their home ground so I think there is a waiting list (for Adelaide FC at least).

I am currently on the waiting list for Port, Back in the days when we'd get 13,000 to a game I didn't need to get an 11 game membership with reserved seat in the members stand at AAMI Stadium so I'd just show up before the game and pick any seat I wanted as an 11 game member with an unreserved seat.

Now while I wait to get a reserved seat I must get to an unreserved seat at Adelaide Oval in the Western Stand 2 hours before the game. :D

I am currently on the waiting list for Port, Back in the days when we'd get 13,000 to a game I didn't need to get an 11 game membership with reserved seat in the members stand at AAMI Stadium so I'd just show up before the game and pick any seat I wanted as an 11 game member with an unreserved seat.

Now while I wait to get a reserved seat I must get to an unreserved seat at Adelaide Oval in the Western Stand 2 hours before the game. :D
Thanks for that. Good anecdotal support for the point I was making. :thumbsu:
The nuance is that we don't need to get to "house full" numbers, only to the point where there are just crappy seats left so new members will feel they need to join so they can get the preferential (reserved) seating.

Yeah I remember watching a bit of a Port v Richmond game at West Lakes on a miserable wet day which turned the ground I to a mud bath. There was hardly a cheer squad there at all for Port. Congrats on turning on field and off field around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back