2015 Membership Thread (official unaudited figures in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

The issue is this isnt a richmond membership discussion board.

So any team but richmond can be discussed? ok cool, glad i got that cleared up

So any team but richmond can be discussed? ok cool, glad i got that cleared up

Thats not the issue at all, dont be obtuse. When its Richmond people that are the only posters and they are arguing with each other, its time to move to the Richmond board.

Andrew Fagan (AFC CEO) just put in his members weekly email that membership has gone up to 57,500. A New Club Record!

Considering we didn't get to this number until July last year we should get close to 65,000 members before the July cut off.

Gone up 400 since last Saturday, not bad considering that we have sold out all Seats at Adelaide Oval and there are very limited Standing Room GA seats available.

Andrew Fagan (AFC CEO) just put in his members weekly email that membership has gone up to 57,500. A New Club Record!

Considering we didn't get to this number until July last year we should get close to 65,000 members before the July cut off.

Gone up 400 since last Saturday, not bad considering that we have sold out all Seats at Adelaide Oval and there are very limited Standing Room GA seats available.

What are all these memberships that are being sold? Waiting list?

Hahahha, I love Richmond fans. <3

Rub in membership numbers in droves, will be fun one day before my life is over to see Richmond fans drain opposition supporters with success stories.

Collingwood - 64, 778
Richmond - 62, 686
Hawthorn - 62, 027
Essendon - 46, 282
Geelong - 36, 031
Carlton - 35, 062
North Melbourne - 29, 196
St. Kilda - 27, 669
Melbourne - 27, 020
W.Bulldogs - 22, 403

Richmond have sold 4,000 more memberships in the last business week than Collingwood and Hawthorn.

Imagine if Essendon were located at the G...

Without the scandals, location at the G, Essendon would be firmly placed in the 60,000 pack right now. If you consider how successful they could be, what momentum they have, they'd be probably first/second. Unfortunately, good administration is the most important factor in any football clubs success. Essendon's has let them down. Carlton is just absolutely deplorable. No reason why they're doing so terribly. Those Blues supporters are fair-weather as anything, such a strong presence in Victoria, but their administration has lost touch with their supporter base, I reckon 10% of their supporter base is contributing financially to the club, maybe even 5%? That's not good. They're going to have some problems in the future. They've fallen behind Collingwood terribly since 2001, before that they were equal. But then again, at that time they never won a wooden spoon, so those fair-weather supporter patience was tested.

Considering Essendon's "situation" I think they are doing pretty good with their membership. I would have thought the potential of having have the list suspended would have made the members take a more "wait and see" approach. No doubt Essendon supporters are committed to their club but it will be interesting to see how the next generation goes. After the events of the last few years I'd imagine that Essendon wouldn't be high on the list when a kid/neutral is choosing who to follow.

I think Essendon is still at Etihad until 2025. If the AFL buys it out sooner then things may change, but I can't see that happening before 2020.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh yeah I forgot we played in the VFL Still

Lets see how many Tigers memberships you sell for next week after the discount period runs out.

Hahahha, I love Richmond fans. <3

Rub in membership numbers in droves, will be fun one day before my life is over to see Richmond fans drain opposition supporters with success stories.

Collingwood - 64, 778
Richmond - 62, 686
Hawthorn - 62, 027
Essendon - 46, 282
Geelong - 36, 031
Carlton - 35, 062
North Melbourne - 29, 196
St. Kilda - 27, 669
Melbourne - 27, 020
W.Bulldogs - 22, 403

Richmond have sold 4,000 more memberships in the last business week than Collingwood and Hawthorn.

We are actually 62,868. Got my numbers mixed up

Oh yeah I forgot we played in the VFL Still

Lets see how many Tigers memberships you sell for next week after the discount period runs out.

It's not a 'discounted' period. That would be inaccurate. Membership prices will rise, they've never been lowered. At this rate, we'll pass Collingwood by the end of next week. We're outselling them 10-1. Richmond fans aren't bargain hunters, that's why thousands have been paying for a Grand Final ticket guarantee even though..well, you know the rest...

It's not a 'discounted' period. That would be inaccurate. Membership prices will rise, they've never been lowered. At this rate, we'll pass Collingwood by the end of next week. We're outselling them 10-1. Richmond fans aren't bargain hunters, that's why thousands have been paying for a Grand Final ticket guarantee even though..well, you know the rest...

Exactly.

IMO what are all seeing is when people refer to the sleeping giant. This huge dormant supporter base which IMO I have always believed was the largest supporter group in the AFL is finally believing in the work the club is doing and they are responding. This year a large part of our membership sales would be in part due to how my club is run now. We finally have a club again we can be proud of which is run professionally as any other club in the country, a lot of us could not say that for a long time.

Just think about this a second. We are now second on the back off 2 failed finals campaigns. Can you imagine how many members we will have in the next 5 years if we actually win finals and jag a flag ? Wowiee

Considering Essendon's "situation" I think they are doing pretty good with their membership. I would have thought the potential of having have the list suspended would have made the members take a more "wait and see" approach. No doubt Essendon supporters are committed to their club but it will be interesting to see how the next generation goes. After the events of the last few years I'd imagine that Essendon wouldn't be high on the list when a kid/neutral is choosing who to follow.

I think Essendon is still at Etihad until 2025. If the AFL buys it out sooner then things may change, but I can't see that happening before 2020.
I think you have hit the nail on the head. Clearly the club is selling a turd this year so it is to be expected that membership will drop to 55,000 in 2015.

I see enormous upside in the next 2-3 years. Your point regarding the next generation is not a huge concern, as long as this is dealt with this year. They will have member forums and work hard this year to set foundations for a sort of mass healing and then moving on later in the year. I think once this is over and it's back to footy, I think it won't take too long to get the fans back. Essendon are pretty good these days at engaging it's fans and it had a huge national base. Once Daniher kicks a few bags and the club is back on track onfield I think whilst this certainly won't be forgotten, I believe everyone will move on at the end of the year mostly. It will likely result in a pretty hungry supporter base as we're seeing with Richmond now.

The Ethihad arrangement will certainly be renegotiated when the AFL acquire the stadium. This is likely to be later this year. Essendon will be beautifully poised from a negotiation perspective given the Blues have left. Essendon will push for 1-2 more home games at the G. It won't be far off.

It's membership apart from the above have also been impacted in recent years by club forcing members to have a designated seat and other 'Ethihad' issues. This has now largely been resolved.

Essendon is the club with the mist room for growth once it's set up again. Maybe apart from Carlton. Along with Collingwood it's probably the only club that can boast a significant national fanbase. In the next 2-3 years clubs clubs will look to their non match going fans and interstate / overseas supporters fir the next phase if membership growth. Assuming no ASADA, a slightly more MCG arrangement and continued ficus on fan engagement via all it's platforms, Essendon will most likely close the current gap on it's competitive set and position itself with a large membership drawing from it's vast national supporter base.

These membership surges tend to go in phases. The Hawks with Tas abd on field success grew the last decade, the Pies capitalizing on success and sheer scale as well, now Richmond bringing their fans back to the fold. Essendon and Carlton have 'under traded' the last 5-10 years to alarming levels and will be next to put things right I suspect.

I agree with the vast majority your post except for one or two points.

I agree that once this saga Essendon are going through is over a lot of the fans will come back. Especially if they clear out all involved and demonstrate they are moving on from their mistakes. This will be effective for those who already follow Essendon but wasn't involved as much because of the toll of the saga. However, for the kid/neutral who are finding a team to support, the whole stigma about the last few years will last a long time and other clubs would look more attractive to them.

Is the AFL going to acquire Etihad later this year? I haven't heard of anything about that and would be surprised if they did. To buy out stadium at this time will cost huge money, but if they waited 5 or more years it will be a lot less. The MCG is the home ground for Collingwood, Richmond, Melbourne, with Carlton also trying to get in. If Carlton doesn't pick up support and as a result not increase the home games at the "G" then I don't think Essendon would have a problem getting an extra few games when the contract is up. If Carlton regains their support and make the MCG their home ground, then it will be interesting to see how the distribution of the MCG/Etihad games will end up.
Add the hawks to that too.

I don't think so. Essendon is the 2nd biggest club in the AFL abd it's in the AFL's interest to move on ASAP and get back to growing the sport with all engines firing. It needs a strong and successful Essendon as the big VIC clubs are a key driver of the games income: TV revenue, attendances, Stadium revenue, sponsorship etc. There us absolutely no benefit in the AFL continuing to restrict Essendon / the game from moving on ASAP. And resolving the Stadium deals with clubs will be a short term priority and taking over the Stadium facilitates this. Essendon just coincidentally stands poised to benefit enormously from good timing and the AFL's need for an economically viable Stadium which provides tenant clubs stronger returns..

It's almost time for every stakeholder in the game to do their best to move on. A strong AFL needs a strong Essendon bringing in the $'s and continuing to subsidise the continued health of the game.

How is Essendon the second biggest club?

I don't think so. Essendon is the 2nd biggest club in the AFL abd it's in the AFL's interest to move on ASAP and get back to growing the sport with all engines firing. It needs a strong and successful Essendon as the big VIC clubs are a key driver of the games income: TV revenue, attendances, Stadium revenue, sponsorship etc. There us absolutely no benefit in the AFL continuing to restrict Essendon / the game from moving on ASAP. And resolving the Stadium deals with clubs will be a short term priority and taking over the Stadium facilitates this. Essendon just coincidentally stands poised to benefit enormously from good timing and the AFL's need for an economically viable Stadium which provides tenant clubs stronger returns..

It's almost time for every stakeholder in the game to do their best to move on. A strong AFL needs a strong Essendon bringing in the $'s and continuing to subsidise the continued health of the game.

I disagree, but that's probably a discussion best had on the HTB...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back