2015 Membership Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Another mate of mine is having problems with the incompetents in the Membership department.

She called up last month to delay her December instalment by a week, which they agreed to do. They then forgot to take the debit out, then when she followed it up yesterday, they told her to either pay the instalment immediately or they'd cancel her membership.

Do the guys in the membership department actually have any customer service skills?

Your friends are a demanding lot ;)

But what's the problem? She wanted a weeks grace and by the looks of it had at least 2 or 3 weeks more - if she can't pay by mid January, how long does she want?

I get you'll say "oh but she didn't know... She thought they'd already taken it..." Yada yada

But they didn't take it, so she should still have the money.

I suspect the membership department tell different stories or versions than your friends :p ;) :D

Another mate of mine is having problems with the incompetents in the Membership department.

She called up last month to delay her December instalment by a week, which they agreed to do. They then forgot to take the debit out, then when she followed it up yesterday, they told her to either pay the instalment immediately or they'd cancel her membership.

Do the guys in the membership department actually have any customer service skills?
I would always arrange something like that in an email - so I have a record.

Yep fair enough. For me it's not so much a case of "we do this, why don't you?" but that every other club does it. I think that it is likely something along the lines of what you're saying though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We have a waiting list & sell out most games ... so not a biggie for us.

Why count when the end result is a given!

I gather the Weagles don't really care either.

Heard a whisper today that the club is preparing to release its already record membership numbers and the final tally will shock many people. The clubs also trying to secure more GA tickets from the greedy SMA

Isn't it the AFL, not the SMA that dictates how many GA tickets we sell each week?

Heard a whisper today that the club is preparing to release its already record membership numbers and the final tally will shock many people. The clubs also trying to secure more GA tickets from the greedy SMA
65,000 on the cards maybe? I think thats entirely possible considering waiting lists and what not.

Isn't it the AFL, not the SMA that dictates how many GA tickets we sell each week?

I assumed he meant more of the Western Stand ticket allocation. People seem to use GA to refer to both single game allocated seat tickets for the general public/non members on a week by week basis and the sit where you like general admission (which is a 3 game, 11 game and week by week option also), so I can see why there is confusion with the term.

I think it is the general public option that the AFL dictates, is it still about 3000?.

Actual general admission like the club uses the term they could sell a heap more without checking with anyone because the terms of the ticket is "subject to capacity" and neither of the clubs have turned away GA ticket holders yet.

They hit 50,000 last week.

Is it a stunt to attract more member or legit, by over inflating the popularity?

In any case, if we have 65,000 for a team struggling to make the 8 against a team which is considered to be a bona fide chance of winning the flag.

The membership race is pretty meaningless, clubs are racing to process existing members to break "compared to this time last year" records. Some clubs auto process renewals so its opt out each year rather than opt in. Some started earlier.

I'll be more interested in new members. With the late start to the season and the inability to process all current members its not a bad thing we have left the new member drive until later (although it should be soon, I think they've slowly started mentioning it more) to give new members a good experience signing up.

Time to start selling those 3/11 game GA memberships and making sure everybody knows that the only way to get a good seat if your not a season ticket holder is with a boundary line membership.

With season tickets at capacity and the need to still grow, as much as people don't like it I have a feeling much of the membership drive will happen throughout the season with creative 1 - 3 game packages.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it is the general public option that the AFL dictates, is it still about 3000?.

I've never seen any actual proof that this was ever required/mandated. There's plenty of hearsay, but no-one in a position of knowledge has ever printed this that I've seen.

They hit 50,000 last week.

They are inflating the numbers, after the AFL tallied their numbers last year they only had 49,000. This time last year they had 34,000, But when Kochie was asked last week how many more 11 game members they had compared to this time last year his answer was "a couple thousand". So 16,000 more members but only 2,000 (12.5%) are 11 game? normally about 80% of members are 11game members for the SA clubs, so there is something odd about the breakdown of their new members compared to last year.

Don't forget until the July AFL Audit - Port include 4000 or 5000 Magpies Members in their Total Numbers.

They are inflating the numbers, after the AFL tallied their numbers last year they only had 49,000. This time last year they had 34,000, But when Kochie was asked last week how many more 11 game members they had compared to this time last year his answer was "a couple thousand". So 16,000 more members but only 2,000 (12.5%) are 11 game? normally about 80% of members are 11game members for the SA clubs, so there is something odd about the breakdown of their new members compared to last year.

Nice try bud, but the big reason Port's went from 54,000 to closer to 49,000 was that the that the SMA decided to allocate 5,200 of their 8,000 SMA members to the Crows and only 2,800 to Port. How they do it this year now that both clubs get $50 from each SMA membership is anyone's guess. Port will have around 30 - 35,000 11 game members this year, the rest will be SMA/Stadium/Audi Club/SMA Super Boxes (which accounts for at least 10,000 seats) with the rest being 3 made up of 3 gamers, interstate and all the other memberships.

Nice try bud, but the big reason Port's went from 54,000 to closer to 49,000 was that the that the SMA decided to allocate 5,200 of their 8,000 SMA members to the Crows and only 2,800 to Port. How they do it this year now that both clubs get $50 from each SMA membership is anyone's guess. Port will have around 30 - 35,000 11 game members this year, the rest will be SMA/Stadium/Audi Club/SMA Super Boxes (which accounts for at least 10,000 seats) with the rest being 3 made up of 3 gamers, interstate and all the other memberships.
Why do you double count the magpie members that are power members? Approx 5000 last season.

Considering every single AFC member gets a membership to our SANFL side we would have 120000 members this year if we used your accounting standards :p

so your saying Port were dodging up the numbers by trying to include ALL of the SMA members in their running total? :p

So I get to work this morning and there's an email from AO informing me that my son can join as an AO member (junior). When I renewed my membership last year (ex AAMI member) I had to put my lad on a waiting list (thinking this wait would be years) and pay $70. I've been led to believe that AO memberships were over-subscribed already and the $100 increase in membership fees this season could be justified by the huge demand. Seems it might be even harder this season to get a non-reserved seat in the members if they're offering memberships for people on the waiting list?

Last edited:
So I get to work this morning and there's an email from AO informing me that my son can join as an AO member (junior). When I renewed my membership last year (ex AAMI member) I had to put my lad on a waiting list (thinking this wait would be years) and pay $70. I've been led to believe that AO memberships were over-subscribed already and the $100 increase in membership fees this season was could be justified by the huge demand. Seems it might be even harder this season to get a non-reserved seat in the members if they're offering memberships for people on the waiting list?
I took that as more a 'increased price driving people away' sign.
Who knows.

A week ago or so someone asked what the difference between the two clubs charge for each section. I put together a very quick chart. Note that Port divide the ground by benefits while our club divides it by price, and then the benefits are extra (gold or captains club for Grandfinal guarantee), only Ports $425 platinum members get Grand Final guarantee. This is why the difference of a couple thousand 3 game members is meaningless.

pricedifference.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back