Riccardo11

Cancelled
Jul 24, 2013
Allons-y!
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne
It makes sense if someone pays the $$$ and joins their pet up, they become a member and are counted. Their money and support is as good as anyone else's. I do like the intention then as mentioned above of starting completely new membership categories.
  • Saints from the Grave (memberships for deceased friends and family members)
  • Fallen Saints (memberships for those fallen saints who are enjoying the hospitality of the penal system)
  • Saints in Space (memberships for those who have institutionalised with mental health problems)
  • Saintly Saints (memberships for religious leaders of every faith and denomination)
  • Black, Red & White Ferns (memberships for New Zealanders)
  • I follow Saints (memberships for those with Altzheimers)
  • Floating Saints (memberships for recent immigrant arrivals by boat)
  • Flying Saints (memberships for recent Australian arrivals who came by plane)
Welcome any and all suggestions for the additional membership categories.
Multiple memberships required for those with dual/multiple personalities.

Riccardo11

Cancelled
Jul 24, 2013
Allons-y!
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne
Not even 10k members there today for a total of 17k attendance. Disappointing effort :(
It was Easter Sunday, a lot of people are away or spend the day in religious contemplation.

I'm happy to wait to see what the tally is after a few more home games.

It was Easter Sunday, a lot of people are away or spend the day in religious contemplation.

I'm happy to wait to see what the tally is after a few more home games.
Absolutely, as a person in that field, I can tell you it wasn't a great time either. Most church services, especially on Easter Sunday, start at either 10am, 10:30am, or at the latest 11am. Services run for anywhere from 90 minutes to 2 hours. Then most people will hang around for a cup of tea or coffee and a chat ("fellowship" is the word most commonly used), for anywhere from 20-60 minutes after that - and on Easter Sunday, that can be a very meaningful part of it for people. Factor in that Easter Sunday is one of only two days a year - and only one day in the football season - where some people go to church services (what are affectionately called "Chreasters" in my circles :) ), and yeah, it's not just the week-in-week-out attenders that we're talking about here.

So having a game start at 1pm, on Easter Sunday, for flipping Round 1, against an interstate team only starting to develop its following, was never going to be good. It was pretty much ensuring that we were going to have the poorest showing of the round. Thanks AFL.

Last edited:

crasha301

worm farmer
Sep 21, 2014
The Farm
AFL Club
St Kilda
Absolutely, as a person in that field, I can tell you it wasn't a great time either. Most church services, especially on Easter Sunday, start at either 10am, 10:30am, or at the latest 11am. Services run for anywhere from 90 minutes to 2 hours. Then most people will hang around for a cup of tea or coffee and a chat ("fellowship" is the word most commonly used), for anywhere from 20-60 minutes after that - and on Easter Sunday, that can be a very meaningful part of it for people. Factor in that Easter Sunday is one of only two days a year - and only one day in the football season - where some people go to church services (what are affectionately called "Chreasters" in my circles :) ), and yeah, it's not just the week-in-week-out attenders that we're talking about here.

So having a game start at 1pm, on Easter Sunday, four flipping Round 1, against an interstate team only starting to develop its following, was never going to be good. It was pretty much ensuring that we were going to have the poorest showing of the round. Thanks AFL.

And the perfect long weekend for duck hunters like myself.

The vast number of non-attending members is hardly a clear-cut indictment on our supporter base. For example, I will be lucky to attend more than two or three home games this year; university and work accounts for all 7 days of my week, and the only game I can make is a Saturday night or Monday night game. Despite this, I still coughed up the few hundred dollars for a reserved seat. So, whilst a smaller percentage of attending members isn't great, keep in mind that this number will be inflated by those who have chosen to support the club despite attendance restrictions.

Baughb

Team Captain
May 7, 2013
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
New Orleans Saints
Thought they turned off support for HDMI and Chromecast etc.
Couldn't get screencasting on Chromecast to work and I know other apps like NFL mobile don't allow HMDI output but my AFL one worked fine on my basic HDMI output cable last I used it. I was surprised that it actually worked and thinking about it now I have a creeping suspicion that it may be a temporary quirk.

Saint Luke

Team Captain
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
The rate we are going at here, seems we should be able to smash the goal of 32,000 in no time. Our total will really be interesting. I can't imagine we'll get too many more than that but it's still going to be a fair effort.

May 29, 2012
Scotland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Kingdom Kangaroos, Sandy Zebras
Just to agree with Strahany; I've been a member for years, originally buying a regular membership despite getting absolutely no benefit at all. And I'd buy the odd bit of merchandise.
Now I'm a little older I'm less inclined to wear club merch but as I've more 'disposable' income I actually buy more.

The overseas membership was a blessing for me, but feeling guilty over it giving the club less cash, I keep both. I also drop about $200 in the club shop.

Then the only time I was able to get to the other side of the world, to the MCG, I sprung for corporate hospitality for my wife and I so paid another whack on top of being 2 members.

So you can blame people like me for not contributing to having my rear on a plastic seat on the day. And I count for 2 of those 30k, so that's two members they'll not see at Ettihad. But I still contribute a significant amount to the club, and on top of that I have to get up at 4 or 5am, with work to go to if it's a Friday game, just to watch the Saints. I'm there in spirit.
And I've a Saints finals savings fund; when we get back to the late finals, I'll be travelling 10,000 miles to be there.

Sunshine Saint

Cancelled
St Kilda - Player Sponsor Nathan Wright 2015 St Kilda - Nathan Wright Player Sponsor 2014 St Kilda Saints - Tom Ledger Sponsor 2013
Dec 1, 2011
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Mitta United, Tapalinga, St Marys
Just to agree with Strahany; I've been a member for years, originally buying a regular membership despite getting absolutely no benefit at all. And I'd buy the odd bit of merchandise.
Now I'm a little older I'm less inclined to wear club merch but as I've more 'disposable' income I actually buy more.

The overseas membership was a blessing for me, but feeling guilty over it giving the club less cash, I keep both. I also drop about $200 in the club shop.

Then the only time I was able to get to the other side of the world, to the MCG, I sprung for corporate hospitality for my wife and I so paid another whack on top of being 2 members.

So you can blame people like me for not contributing to having my rear on a plastic seat on the day. And I count for 2 of those 30k, so that's two members they'll not see at Ettihad. But I still contribute a significant amount to the club, and on top of that I have to get up at 4 or 5am, with work to go to if it's a Friday game, just to watch the Saints. I'm there in spirit.
And I've a Saints finals savings fund; when we get back to the late finals, I'll be travelling 10,000 miles to be there.

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
Always admire those who go the extra yard. Well done.

I must be a crazy old bugger like you ike.
I havnt worn a Saints jumper to the footy for yrs & yrs.
But when they release a new clash/heritage one i usually buy it. Ive got a storage container under the bed with 16 StKilda jumpers in it .
my wife thinks im mad :D

May 29, 2012
Scotland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
But when they release a new clash/heritage one i usually buy it. Ive got a storage container under the bed with 16 StKilda jumpers in it .

Yeah sounds about right! I'm not tooo old, but just think wearing guernseys is better in your teens and 20s maybe. Doesn't help that we only get 3 sunny days a year in Scotland so there's really no need to have your shoulders on display.
Yet I've got a plastic tub in the bottom of the wardrobe, with all the jumpers - even a green one they wore on a preseason trip to the US a few years ago.

Yeah sounds about right! I'm not tooo old, but just think wearing guernseys is better in your teens and 20s maybe. Doesn't help that we only get 3 sunny days a year in Scotland so there's really no need to have your shoulders on display.
Yet I've got a plastic tub in the bottom of the wardrobe, with all the jumpers - even a green one they wore on a preseason trip to the US a few years ago.
Funny you should mention shoulders :p
I think the AFL misses out on a shitload of jumper sales because of our ' no sleeve' tradition.
Besides from young blokes ,most grown men dont wear a AFL jumper to games. If AFL tops were marketed more to the public in a 'sleeved' design more like a rugby top i think more older blokes would wear them.
I go to a lot of Melb Storm and Rebels games and heaps of older men & women wear Storm/Rebels Jerseys as well because they are basically a thicker version of a polo top.
But at AFL games once you get to a certain age only real tragics seem to wear a teams jumper.
I think its a marketing ploy that is badly overlooked by the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 29, 2012
Scotland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Funny you should mention shoulders :p
I think the AFL misses out on a shitload of jumper sales because of our ' no sleeve' tradition.
Besides from young blokes ,most grown men dont wear a AFL jumper to games. If AFL tops were marketed more to the public in a 'sleeved' design more like a rugby top i think more older blokes would wear them.
I go to a lot of Melb Storm and Rebels games and heaps of older men & women wear Storm/Rebels Jerseys as well because they are basically a thicker version of a polo top.
But at AFL games once you get to a certain age only real tragics seem to wear a teams jumper.
I think its a marketing ploy that is badly overlooked by the AFL.

Completely agree.

I know guys who love their american sports, they will wear an NFL jersey but never an NBA top unless its at a barbeque during our 72 hour summer. It's the sleeveless, armpits out, why do you have bingo-wings issue.

Maybe the Australian view on it differs, but I think wearing a guernsey over a t-shirt just doesn't seem quite right. Over something thicker like a sweatshirt, just outright odd. Wearing it on it's own I think there's a time and a place - even though I'm a fairly athletic build still, I wouldn't wear it to the shops for example.

Here in Uk there's been a bit of a backlash against the rugby shirt manufacturers, because when modern materials started to get used on the team shirts, the fan shirts were the same. But I really don't need sticky areas around my ribcage, nor to have moisture wicked away from my body, when I am sinking ten pints in the pub. If anything I need to retain body heat for the stagger home. And skintight for most rugby fans is just not a good idea. So in the last year or so some of the manufacturers have reverted to offering a cotton version, like a polo shirt merged with the gameday shirt, for the fan to wear. You don't need to wear exactly what the guys on the field are wearing. In fact you don't really, as the gameday tops are a really tailored fit and have the GPS pocket.

Smoke_Me_AKipper

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Tottenham; Philadelphia Eagles

Just your wife? ;):p:D

Completely agree.

I know guys who love their american sports, they will wear an NFL jersey but never an NBA top unless its at a barbeque during our 72 hour summer. It's the sleeveless, armpits out, why do you have bingo-wings issue.

Maybe the Australian view on it differs, but I think wearing a guernsey over a t-shirt just doesn't seem quite right. Over something thicker like a sweatshirt, just outright odd. Wearing it on it's own I think there's a time and a place - even though I'm a fairly athletic build still, I wouldn't wear it to the shops for example.

Here in Uk there's been a bit of a backlash against the rugby shirt manufacturers, because when modern materials started to get used on the team shirts, the fan shirts were the same. But I really don't need sticky areas around my ribcage, nor to have moisture wicked away from my body, when I am sinking ten pints in the pub. If anything I need to retain body heat for the stagger home. And skintight for most rugby fans is just not a good idea. So in the last year or so some of the manufacturers have reverted to offering a cotton version, like a polo shirt merged with the gameday shirt, for the fan to wear. You don't need to wear exactly what the guys on the field are wearing. In fact you don't really, as the gameday tops are a really tailored fit and have the GPS pocket.
Noticed something similar in Ice House st Melbourne. Team tops ranging from $90 - $300. All looked the same.

bluejay_BE

Draftee
Apr 8, 2015
Belgium
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
FC Barcelona
Hey guys!

I am back at this forum after nearly 3 years and I obviously I forgot which email and which password did I set up, so I can't recover my old account. Those of you who remember me (I was the bluejay that replied im this thread: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/st-kilda-turn-to-messi-for-barca-secrets.918622/) know that I used to live in Barcelona. The reason for me to not post is that I became father of now 2 and a half boy and we all moved to a new country (Belgium, hence the BE at the end of my new username).

I am posting now again because it is the first time ever, and I am really happy to share this with you guys, that I have been able to afford to become a St Kilda Saints member. At some point during last week I paid my first Digital International membership and I am proud I can support the club even though I won't be able to come see any game, probably in years to come.

There you go, count one more member in!

Go Saints!

150413-member-tally.jpg

Aug 25, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, San Antonio Spurs
I reckon that win last night will have gone a long way to us getting a few more members this year.
Indeed. I hope people that were scared off signing up as a member because of our Round 1 defeat saw that GWS smashed Melbourne over the weekend & sign up this week. I think our form isnt too bad. A good showing this week will do wonders for that tally.

#gosaintas

Cancelled
Veteran Reimagine Moorabbin
Nov 11, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
It's a question I have wondered about and are we doing enough to get our saints supporter mates to join up as members? It's probably easier for us to do it than the club. Are we all doing enough? I know that I am shaming my non-member saints mates to join up and have reported a few of them to the club. Limited success so far but a work in progress.

Aug 25, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, San Antonio Spurs
Win games & be open with the club during that time...

I hate to say it, but the 'bubble' around our club through 2008-2011 really s**t me. We were doing really well on field & failed to capitalize on expanding our membership base because supporters felt so closed off from the club IMO

The club needs to embrace the supporters & be interactive with them. Matt Finnis is doing a great job at this. I believe if he were our CEO during the 2008-2011 era, we'd have easily had 45K+ members.

On the converse I've been telling people they're free to follow who they want so long as it is not Collingwood, Essendon or Carlton, and for short periods of time I might hate them with a passion worthy or a bronzed statue in my honour.

They get the hint generally.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back