2015 Mighty Cats festival and Season launch

Remove this Banner Ad

It's actually a good idea in principle just not carried out properly. Next time the jumping castle, food trucks etc should be on the ground so the the kids can have a kick while they're waiting for the rides and food or are bored. Have a few tables out there or just eat in the grandstand. Also the kids could stand on the side of the red carpet thing and see the players going up to get their jumpers.

I thought the timing of it was really strange. I was no chance to make it from Melbourne where as I would have considered bringing the kids to a weekend thing.
Isn't it the same time they do it every year ?
I think it's usually the thursday or friday night before Rd 1 at Crown

Isn't it the same time they do it every year ?
I think it's usually the thursday or friday night before Rd 1 at Crown
Yeah but this was aimed at families and then held at a time that made it tough to get there for anybody not in Geelong

Were the players available for autographs?

Very disappointing that the old Family Day was scrapped. I was never a fan of lining up for hours to get signatures and photos with players but it seems that's my only option now.

I was able to get Guthrie to sign his player issue Guernsey at an open training session last year but I basically had to stalk him along the fence - the way the players sign after a training session makes it very hard to get a particular player's autograph which is often what people want.

Very disappointing that the old Family Day was scrapped. I was never a fan of lining up for hours to get signatures and photos with players but it seems that's my only option now.

I was able to get Guthrie to sign his player issue Guernsey at an open training session last year but I basically had to stalk him along the fence - the way the players sign after a training session makes it very hard to get a particular player's autograph which is often what people want.
I'm not sure of inside the ground but outside no... aside from the few people that lurked in the car park and got the players as they were walking in

From an event perspective, the chairs and tables is an oversight. Of course sure the good vendors could have provided as well.

Seems as though there no winners. Everyone dirty about something. If it's in Melbourne then the Geelong residents hate it. When it's in Geelong the Melbourne residents hate it and the Geelong ones don't go and some that do go hate it.

Clearly it takes all types and the club are never going to be able to please everyone. And it sounds like the event had some issues too but wow.

Globally it's been said that there are not enough family type events so they do a new one and it's s**t canned.

Tough room. Valid opinions all and one of course but tough room.

Go Catters

And the timing is a valid point I did
Not consider. Perhaps the Saturday would have been a better choice .
The family better suited

Go Catters

Globally it's been said that there are not enough family type events so they do a new one and it's s**t canned.
As I said Daz it was a good idea, just poorly executed.

Would be good to be able to provide some feedback and hopefully it gets taken on board

Crown is 15 minutes from my house.

To be fair the price of the tickets to the old season launch at Crown was too prohibitive to attract many families anyway. At least this way by lowering cost and making it more of a day/night festival it in theory is easier for families to come.

I like the idea, I just think they probably picked the wrong day (weekday over weekend) and didn't execute it as well as possible, but I hope they do it again next year.

From an event perspective, the chairs and tables is an oversight. Of course sure the good vendors could have provided as well.

Seems as though there no winners. Everyone dirty about something. If it's in Melbourne then the Geelong residents hate it. When it's in Geelong the Melbourne residents hate it and the Geelong ones don't go and some that do go hate it.
Perhaps hold it in Werribee :D

EDIT : Come to think of it that could be done.It could be held in the grounds of Werribee Park.I'm sure you can hire the grounds outside the mansion for events and it's a huge area.Then you've got Werribee Zoo just beside it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clearly it takes all types and the club are never going to be able to please everyone. And it sounds like the event had some issues too but wow.

Tough room. Valid opinions all and one of course but tough room.

Go Catters
I didn't go so I can't really comment one way or the other about the night but the 6pm start time on a Friday would have been a massive deterrent to the Melbourne supporters & members.

I withdrew my name from the running for that prize for the Cockatoo sponsorship because there was no way known I would have been able to get down there for that kick-off after work.

However, quickest way to make people understand what they have...take it away.

Then you'll hear an uproar.

The saying you can't please everyone all the time is very true. I'm sure there were people who went who enjoyed it. If more people enjoyed it than hated it then that's probably a win.

Learn and try and improve it next time.

Last edited:
Sounds like it should have been done on a Saturday arvo at 1pm - open the ground up so the kids can run around, some little footy comps, food stalls, Cats shop open with sales and ALL players mingle and sign jumpers etc. etc. Have the speeches and announcements at 2.30, pack up at 3.30. It ain't rocket-science.

Sounds like it should have been done on a Saturday arvo at 1pm - open the ground up so the kids can run around, some little footy comps, food stalls, Cats shop open with sales and ALL players mingle and sign jumpers etc. etc. Have the speeches and announcements at 2.30, pack up at 3.30. It ain't rocket-science.
Perhaps people like Scarlett were unavailable then

but you can't take the kids to the launch at Crown
I could attend with adults. It would be a different type of event.

To me it's simple: if it's a corporate event, a Thursday or Friday at Crown is fine. If it's a family event, has to be a weekend during the day.

To be fair the price of the tickets to the old season launch at Crown was too prohibitive to attract many families anyway. At least this way by lowering cost and making it more of a day/night festival it in theory is easier for families to come.

I like the idea, I just think they probably picked the wrong day (weekday over weekend) and didn't execute it as well as possible, but I hope they do it again next year.
Agree. Prices were prohibitive for families but the event wasn't aimed at families. It was a fundraiser. They designed the event this year to reconnect with fans and families. The time and day meant they effectively ruled out their Melbourne fan base.

I've probably said this before here. Must have in fact.

But when I was a kid (just after we got electricity) getting autographs was easy.

I remember my dad telling me we'd go to training that night. No doubt I didn't concentrate at school all day.
We watched training with one focus, I wanted the autograph of S Lunn.

He left the track and we went around to the door that entered the rooms.
We told the doorman why we there and he took us straight into the rooms, and then walked us straight into the showers where Turner and Lunn were showering next to each other.

Stark naked obviously.
Bloody confronting for a 10 year old as Turner just started a conversation with me which meant I obviously had to look at him as he showered. o_O

How times have changed........

I've probably said this before here. Must have in fact.

But when I was a kid (just after we got electricity) getting autographs was easy.

I remember my dad telling me we'd go to training that night. No doubt I didn't concentrate at school all day.
We watched training with one focus, I wanted the autograph of S Lunn.

He left the track and we went around to the door that entered the rooms.
We told the doorman why we there and he took us straight into the rooms, and then walked us straight into the showers where Turner and Lunn were showering next to each other.

Stark naked obviously.
Bloody confronting for a 10 year old as Turner just started a conversation with me which meant I obviously had to look at him as he showered. o_O

How times have changed........

Didn't get a selfie, I take it? :D

I live 5 minutes away and it didn't appeal to me at all. Why not have a practice game and have it afterwards ..i don't know..but "That" appeal to me not. Paying to seeing jumpers given out. Do they thing I have bottomless pockets. Preamble,Preamble....bring on the game.

The answer to that is yes. It's not limited to Geelong either; I'd say all the clubs are the same now. It's lumped under the wonderful euphemism 'maximising revenue'.

It doesn't put me out either way as my interest in going to shakedowns like this has well and truly evaporated. Season launch? We know when that is - it's called Round 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back