2015 MotoGP

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think Lorenzo's title has any asterisk next to it. I can understand Rossi fans believe what Valentino said about Phillip Island and then follow the Sepang and Valencia races as an extension of the alleged Spanish conspiracy but i just don't see it. For me, I see:
- Phillip Island was what everyone thought before Sepang - one of the great races of all time
- Sepang was two riders racing angry, Marquez at being publicly insulted and Rossi in his belief of Spanish favouritism. To me they both threw out race craft in favour of red mist. To have about 15 overtakes in 3 laps, it takes two to tango.
- Valencia was Lorenzo running his usual relentless race with Marquez mostly struggling to keep up. In the closing laps it looks like he's practicing for an overtake in turn 6 only for Pedrosa to spoil his plans when he catches up and attacks. The accusation is that Marquez never even showed Lorenzo a wheel. Two things to that:
1. He was on notice from race direction to not put the title contenders at risk and was never close enough to make a clean pass, at least until the last laps when Dani poked his nose in.
2. His plan was for a late attack which people don't buy. He does have form though, both the Indy race (he won against Lorenzo) and Assen he used this tactic. It's a legitimate tactic that Rossi made famous years ago. Again, it was spoiled when Dani got involved.

Also, well of note, Lorenzo won 7 races this year, all of them were flag to flag. He's not easy to pass.

At the end of the day, Lorenzo had:
- the most pole positions
- the most fastest laps
- the most laps lead
- the most race wins
And ultimately the most points. He's a deserving winner.

The last two days the riders have been testing for next years big changes - the spec ECU and the new Michelin tires. There have been a lot of crashes. The factory Honda and Yamaha riders complaining the electronics are a big step backward, Rossi commenting they felt about the level they were in 08-09. The Michelins are taking a bit of getting used to as they have a completely different character to the Bridgestones they replace. The riders are raving about the grip of the rear tire, not so much the front with a spate of front end loses. There is going to be a mountain of work to do to develop the 2016 bikes having to adapt to new electronics as well as the new tires, especially after developing bikes to suit the Bridgestones character for the past 9 years.

Finally, it has been all but confirmed that Casey Stoner will be heading back to Ducati but as a test rider with the possibility of some wildcard races. When quizzed about it, Ducati made no denial other than to say that Casey is contracted with Honda til the end of the year and they would make no further comment. HRC mentioned only that they were working to offer Stoner another contract but that it's up to him to evaluate and make the call what he wants to do.

It would be nice to see him back on a MotoGP grid.

I just wonder what the point is for him to come back as a wildcard. For me its all or nothing, fair enough as a test rider but IMO he should stick to just that.

Great guy to have in the role though.

I can't - Marquez won,taking 5 points away from Lorenzo.How is that helping him ?

I agree, logic quickly shoots down all their arguments. What I meant more was I can understand to an extent is that they hear the champion they barrack for and believe him, re-watch the Phillip Island race with a confirmation bias and see Marquez tripping Rossi up deliberately, tied in with the events of Sepang and Valencia and reach the conclusion that Marquez was helping Lorenzo win. As I went on to say, I disagree completely with their conclusion.

A couple of other things, I found this quite funny: http://www.vr46racing.com/about-us.html

Also, next year Franco Morbidelli - a VR46 rider - will be teammate to Alex Marquez.

Finally, Jack Miller appears to be enjoying his new bike.

I just wonder what the point is for him to come back as a wildcard. For me its all or nothing, fair enough as a test rider but IMO he should stick to just that.

Great guy to have in the role though.

Dipping a toe in the water to decide on a full time comeback in 2017? All seats are spoken for next year.

What has he got left to prove though ?? As good as Casey is/was he won't be a match for the new breed now.

And yes Miller does look much more at home, even early on.

Sometimes, guys just wanna do stuff cos they can. Competing in a full series may be too much for stoner to bother. Racing the best bikes at the top level would be fun though. Maybe 2-6 races. A opportunity to go for a win/podium without the added weight of a championship. Then you can have quite periods with free time away from the racing scene. It'd be a cruisey lifestyle.

Last edited:
Unashamedly a Rossi fan, yes.
Was Lorenzo the quicker throughout the season? yes.
Did he deserve the title MORE than Rossi? Maybe

I am just very disappointed that Marquez didnt even try to sneak a nose up the inside at all. He just sat behind. At least make it look like youre trying. What Rossi did in Sepang was wrong, but Marc didnt even try. Thats my only thing.

I am just very disappointed that Marquez didnt even try to sneak a nose up the inside at all. He just sat behind. At least make it look like youre trying. What Rossi did in Sepang was wrong, but Marc didnt even try. Thats my only thing.

I can see where you are coming from, especially in light of how he raced at Sepang. Marquez argument is he was planning to attack in the last couple of laps which, to be fair to him, he has used this tactic twice this year - Indy (where he beat Lorenzo) and Assen when he forced Rossi through the gravel at the final chicane - but Pedrosa catching up and passing him messed everything up. At the end of the day, it comes back to whether you believe him or not. I do based on how I saw the race, many don't.

It seems Rossi may have got some revenge on Lorenzo as Jorge was celebrating his title in Majorca. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm going to say that Lorenzo did deserve the title more than Rossi. However, I would also say the points standings was a accurate reflection on how much more Lorenzo deserved it.

I was thinking if I was stoner and went on a part time ride. Which 6 races would I choose?

Jerez - historic motorbike racing venue. Big event, passion. Premium GP
Mugello - great full bore track. Massive event. Big passion.
Sachsenring - smaller bullring track presents a different type of racing for the big bikes.
Brno - historic race. Premier track. Czech girls are the hottest!
PI - hometown. Best circuit and setting.
Valencia - end of season bash. Great atmosphere. Join in the fun.

Klyntonius My new avatar is awesome, isn't it?
f3b77a25051a2a5d092bcdcd1fdce5dfe90f34078a95bdce6f051751f4803fed.jpg

Looking at some old racing stats.

Marquez has as many motogp wins as Rainey on 500s (24), in just over half the races. Marquez has crashed about 4000 times more though.

Lorenzo has more wins from less races that Eddie Lawson.

Lorenzo would be the most successful Spanish motogp/500 rider. There's still a way to go!

American superbike in the 80s would've been full on. Lawson with 2 titles, Rainey 2, and fred Merkel with 3.

I wonder why Merkel's career didn't progress to 500s?

It's a really good shot. Using any bike/rider, it highlights the energy/intensity of racing a bike. Not that you call tell in my avatar, but it's actually sliding through that corner.

View attachment 194791

They certainly didn't powerslide in those days like now, the 2-stroke engines too vicious for the frame and tires. I remember late 90's Doohan having fun on the last lap of a race, had a massive lead and nearly launched himself into orbit celebrating! Anyway, think I found a new favourite shot of Rainey.

B7osj3eIEAA0Mjl.jpg

Over the Corkscrew at Laguna. I love the old yellow number plates, wish they'd bring them back.

Looking at some old racing stats.

Marquez has as many motogp wins as Rainey on 500s (24), in just over half the races. Marquez has crashed about 4000 times more though.

Lorenzo has more wins from less races that Eddie Lawson.

Lorenzo would be the most successful Spanish motogp/500 rider. There's still a way to go!

American superbike in the 80s would've been full on. Lawson with 2 titles, Rainey 2, and fred Merkel with 3.

I wonder why Merkel's career didn't progress to 500s?

Merkel won two World Superbike championships before drifting into obscurity (busted his neck going for a threepeat. Has recovered though. Lives in NZ). I don't know how he managed to win those AMA championships against Rainey and Schwantz, but that's mighty impressive!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back