MRP / Trib. 2015 MRP/ Carlton Tribunal News & Reports (aka Chook lotto)

Cipher

Cancelled
May 14, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Unfortunate and not malicious from Gibbs but you can't knock guys out. Irrespective just an amazing tackling display by the team and I hope to see more of it.

Navy Cream

Club Legend
May 15, 2010
Currently where I am
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
76ers
2015 a year to forget.
1.AFL utensil up Essendope* ruling
2.Malthouse nearly had me wanting to relinquish my membership
And now 3.Gibbs getting rubbed out for 2 weeks for a good hard tackle. FMD!!
And those sniping cowardly Hawthorn Pricks get off lightly for 'deliberately' belting the suitcase out of North Melbourne a few weeks ago.
Honestly....... WTF is going on!!!!!!:mad:

Snoozer

Club Legend
Jan 14, 2004
AFL Club
Carlton
Tackle was fine. MRP is ****ed. Basically if Gray did not go off Gibbs gets off and the tackle would not have been looked at.
The whole system is unfair when all they look at is the injury.
Plain stupid decision by the MRP. It was a clean, good tackle. No bad intent in it, just a bit unfortunate in the landing. Shouldn't have even been looked at by the MRP. Hope you guys contest the decision and have it let off or worst case get a fine.
No free kick or report. Cripps laid an almost identical tackle less than a minute after Gray was stretchered off.

Pretty decent summary here.

There would be 200 tackles like this EVERY SINGLE WEEK! The fact that Gray was KO'd is just dumb luck. Nothing more, nothing less. The Viney tackle against Dogs (?) was an absolute ripper, and was hailed by every single commentator and supporter, yet if it resulted in an injury he would be getting lambasted for it. Both Gibbs' and Gray's momentum contributed to him falling forcefully to ground. If Gray had dropped on his side, his head would have had some room for movement and not slammed into the ground. How Gibbs is supposed to be able to control that is beyond me.

People are judging it based on the injury only, not the act. That rationale is fundamentally flawed, yet it's exactly what the MRP are doing.

Big Sim

Cancelled
Apr 12, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Carlton
Wasn't reported or a free kick
Won't stop em. Remember chicken gate when they could not find a rule that Judd broke but danced to the jungle drums and whacked him with their BTGID stick?

Jungle drums again here have got them doing the MRP ooga booga.

If only Watson went after * for their deliberate and systematic violation of the rules and morals with 10% of that passion.

Navy Cream

Club Legend
May 15, 2010
Currently where I am
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
76ers
I can't recall exactly, but did that Essendope* player who put Carrazzo out a few years ago get rubbed out? How about when Daisy got pummelled the first play of our 2015 campaign against the Tiggers?

Mar 19, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Denver Broncos
I can't recall exactly, but did that Essendope* player who put Carrazzo out a few years ago get rubbed out? How about when Daisy got pummelled the first play of our 2015 campaign against the Tiggers?

That is a great point, That was a deliberate in the back (against the rules of the game), carried out with intent and malice to cause injury (which it did-long term) a free kick was awarded but because it wasn't his head that is deemed okay.
Gibbs tackled within the rules of the game with no malice involved, player hits head and is taken off but is okay for next week. Ball up called, slight push and shove after tackle which the umpire had called nothing in it referring to the tackle?
Sam Mitchell jumps into Taylor Walker causing the player to be off for the rest of the game and in doubt for next week but is deemed to be okay as it was an accidental clash. I'm a fan of Mitchell but he knew exactly where his knee was going.

It's the sniping stuff that has to be removed from the game not rules within the game that may cause injury. No one wants injuries especially head injuries, but it is a contact sport and players will get hurt unfortunately, the accidental ones are acceptable it's the sniping ones that need to be policed.

That dog Lonergan. Don't think he was suspended. Mitchell apparently had Walker charging at him but I haven't seen the footage.

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton
I unprofessional and unnecessary force was applied by Gibbs.
He was very lucky Gray did not sustain serious head injuries.
Not a positive image and poor endorsement for the game , needs to be stamped out fast.
We want to see courage , skill and plenty of natural ability displayed on the ground and not thumping players into ground in the manner.
The senseless days of bashing and almost crippling players during and behind the play over.
Ciao

P_Crippy

Club Legend
Jun 22, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Watching the tackle replay repeatedly and to my eyes it seems that the 'slinging' action was more of a sideways movement. It was almost as if Gibbs was consciously trying to avoid slamming him straight to the ground as it was happening. Unfortunately, his head made contact first, and as was mentioned by J. Brown on the couch last night, if he gets up and is fine, that doesn't even get looked at.

Azul

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 22, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
Spin it all you like but Gray's head hit the dirt and he went off on a stretcher.

That's almost guaranteed 3 weeks under the current system, no ifs no buts. The AFL don't want to send the wrong message to junior footy and need I remind people of Greg Williams' memory loss from one too many concussions. :(

Case closed, see you in 2 weeks Bryce.

Navara79

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
Dissapointed that Gibbs will miss given the fact that Gray passed a concussion test. If Gray doesn't get knocked out, Gibbs plays next week

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC
Watching the tackle replay repeatedly and to my eyes it seems that the 'slinging' action was more of a sideways movement. It was almost as if Gibbs was consciously trying to avoid slamming him straight to the ground as it was happening. Unfortunately, his head made contact first, and as was mentioned by J. Brown on the couch last night, if he gets up and is fine, that doesn't even get looked at.
That's the bigger issue. You can't apply rules like that. It leads to inconsistent rulings. It's either a legal tackle, or an illegal tackle. It's either intent to harm, or accidental injury.
If players can get off from opponent testimony and doctor's reports, why hasn't Carlton got the report that says he was cleared to go back on? Why haven't they got Wingard and Hinkley to go into bat? Apparently both of them said it was a good tackle. Why hasn't anyone approached Gray to find out what he thinks, and if he'd testify in Gibbs' favour?

Back