List Mgmt. 2015 National Draft discussion thread (Tuesday 24 November)

Remove this Banner Ad

It'll be interesting to see where Kieran Lovell lands. He's only 174cm, so that may put recruiters off, but he's pacey, strong and has fantastic agility. Averaged 35 disposals over 4 TAC games. Sounds like a very similar situation to Caleb Daniel last year.

It isn't his decision to overlook it.

If Sydney want him, they will declare it and he will be forced to go there.
Remember when we were all on tenterhooks about whether Luke would go into the GWS minidraft or declare F/S for us? Pretty sure there's at least an informal process of mutual agreement for clubs to take F/S. Anyway, Sydney would probably prefer to use their points on an academy kid who wants to stay than a reluctant F/S.

Durdin too tall for FB? he's 198cm, taz is 196cm and hansen in 197cm, he's not tall enough for the ruck/we never recruited him for the ruck

It's not a sliding scale where the taller you are the better you're suited to FB.

Factors like centre of gravity kind of come into play for positions like FB that require so much bodywork.

It's not a sliding scale where the taller you are the better you're suited to FB.

Factors like centre of gravity kind of come into play for positions like FB that require so much bodywork.
And that's what Dan Nielsen has in his favour. Tall enough (194cm) and strong enough (100kg) and a lowish centre of gravity. It helps he is quick and competitive as * too.

And that's what Dan Nielsen has in his favour. Tall enough (194cm) and strong enough (100kg) and a lowish centre of gravity. It helps he is quick and competitive as **** too.

Also why Scott Thompson (on his day) can control an opponent like Travis Cloke - and Lachie Hansen can't.

Combine has started, yeah?

Any results?

One of the best crops (of youngsters) yet.

tumblr_m0u7uajcLt1qiqktp.gif

It'll be interesting to see where Kieran Lovell lands. He's only 174cm, so that may put recruiters off, but he's pacey, strong and has fantastic agility. Averaged 35 disposals over 4 TAC games. Sounds like a very similar situation to Caleb Daniel last year.

This is my boy Iv pick for the draft this year

I would be all over Jade Gresham with our 2nd round pick, particularly in the 30's.

Good lad as well.

Well, as expected he might just bolt inside the top 20 after the combine is finished.

I knew he would score well in the skills testing, but didn't think he'd outperform everyone. Great effort.

But as I said in another post, this performance, particularly in the goal-kicking test just highlights his finishing around the sticks and class. I've seen enough of him live to know that he makes sound decisions as well. When you can combine decision making with solid execution, you get the step on everyone else.

LEADING PERFORMERS – COMBINE DAY TWO

Clean hands test

Kieran Collins 29 (out of a possible 30)
Darcy MacPherson 28
Tyrone Leonardis 28
Daniel Rioli 27
Rhys Mathieson 27
Mitch King 27
Jade Gresham 26
Bailey Rice 26
Darcy Tucker 26
Declan Mountford 26
Kurt Mutimer 26
Jordan Snadden 26

Goalkicking test

Jade Gresham 30 (out of a possible 30)
Nick O'Kearney 30
Oleg Markov 30
Clayton Oliver 30
Kieran Lovell 25
Tyrone Leonardis 25
Matthew Kennedy 25
Mitchell Hibberd 25
Liam Jeffs 25
Eric Hipwood 25
Matthew Allen 25
Nick Coughlan 25
Mitch King 25

Kicking test

Mitchell Hibberd 24 (out of a possible 30)
Nick Coughlan 23
Darcy MacPherson 22
Thomas Glen 22
Matthew Allen 22
Jade Gresham 21
Nick O'Kearney 21
Rhys Mathieson 21
Declan Mountford 21
Jordan Snadden 21
Ben McKay 21
Charlie Curnow 21

Well, as expected he might just bolt inside the top 20 after the combine is finished.

I knew he would score well in the skills testing, but didn't think he'd outperform everyone. Great effort.

But as I said in another post, this performance, particularly in the goal-kicking test just highlights his finishing around the sticks and class. I've seen enough of him live to know that he makes sound decisions as well. When you can combine decision making with solid execution, you get the step on everyone else.

LEADING PERFORMERS – COMBINE DAY TWO

Clean hands test

Kieran Collins 29 (out of a possible 30)
Darcy MacPherson 28
Tyrone Leonardis 28
Daniel Rioli 27
Rhys Mathieson 27
Mitch King 27
Jade Gresham 26
Bailey Rice 26
Darcy Tucker 26
Declan Mountford 26
Kurt Mutimer 26
Jordan Snadden 26

Goalkicking test

Jade Gresham 30 (out of a possible 30)
Nick O'Kearney 30
Oleg Markov 30
Clayton Oliver 30
Kieran Lovell 25
Tyrone Leonardis 25
Matthew Kennedy 25
Mitchell Hibberd 25
Liam Jeffs 25
Eric Hipwood 25
Matthew Allen 25
Nick Coughlan 25
Mitch King 25

Kicking test

Mitchell Hibberd 24 (out of a possible 30)
Nick Coughlan 23
Darcy MacPherson 22
Thomas Glen 22
Matthew Allen 22
Jade Gresham 21
Nick O'Kearney 21
Rhys Mathieson 21
Declan Mountford 21
Jordan Snadden 21
Ben McKay 21
Charlie Curnow 21

Would you label Gresham a Sam Mitchell type?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was coming back from Queensland on Thursday and a few of the Queensland boys invited to the combine were on board.

Had a quick chat with Ben Keays, who is a pretty decent lad. Reminds me of a more athletic Corey Jones, with a more contested game.

Would you label Gresham a Sam Mitchell type?

No not really.

He reminds me of Zaharakis in some regard around the ball and through the midfield.

A closer comparison would probably be Ballantyne. Don't be fooled into thinking he plays predominantly forward like him though, Gresh is a midfielder first, who is a ball magnet and a natural footballer who makes sound decisions by hand and foot. He's more of a leader and has recently developed his game up forward with his ability to hit the scoreboard. That's why he reminds of Zaka, but his movements and kicking reminds me of Ballantyne.

A mix of both.

Runner up in the Morrish. Knights skipper and Metro MVP, he leads from the front. He'll be a good pickup for any AFL club.

I was coming back from Queensland on Thursday and a few of the Queensland boys invited to the combine were on board.

Had a quick chat with Ben Keays, who is a pretty decent lad. Reminds me of a more athletic Corey Jones, with a more contested game.

I've said it here before HH but Ben's the son of one of my great mates since school days. Will be a fantastic academy pickup for the Lions.

I've said. It here before HH but Ben's the son of one of my great mates since school days. Will be a fantastic academy pickup for the Lions.

Yeah I recall you saying that TT.

His old man must be stoked?

I was looking through some really interesting statistics earlier. Ben's kick rating through the championships against all other midfielders was pretty impressive, if not the best for memory.. I'll check back here later on. He's a nicely balanced player. Can play a little taller and finds a lot of the football whilst being up there in the clearances and contested possession count. I like him.

Yeah I recall you saying that TT.

His old man must be stoked?

I was looking through some really interesting statistics earlier. Ben's kick rating through the championships against all other midfielders was pretty impressive, if not the best for memory.. I'll check back here later on. He's a nicely balanced player. Can play a little taller and finds a lot of the football whilst being up there in the clearances and contested possession count. I like him.

He is mate. Another of my best mates since school days has a son hoping for a chance this year too, Matty Perry. He actually featured at the beginning of The Chosen Few 2 doco shown recently when they showed a local side (Ivanhoe) run out onto the ground and form a huddle as the captain spoke, with a voiceover saying "some are just born to lead". That captain was Matt Perry, who captained Ivanhoe and also captained Marcellin's 1st XVIII to this year's AGS title, all while playing for Vic Metro and Northern Knights.

The Perry boys.

For memory we had a chat this time last year about Jordan Perry. Matty's a very uncontested type who finds the pill on the outside and can find himself involved in scoring chains.

The Perry boys.

For memory we had a chat this time last year about Jordan Perry. Matty's a very uncontested type who finds the pill on the outside and can find himself involved in scoring chains.
A leap in career for ol Chandler.

apparently he might overlook that, and take chances from Vic clubs picking him up
with Kennedy, Parker, Mitchell, Jack, Hanneberry, Heeney and the inclusion of Callum Mills from this years draft I wouldn't be surprised he decides to enter the main draft.

He similar to Ben Cunnington imo. He can play midfield/ forward is a strong contested mark, clean hands, wins a lot of contested possession, is a strong tackler (he laid 18 tackles in a game against Geelong last season, as a bottom age player) a great leader and can hit the scoreboard. Areas he could improve on are his kicking, speed, endurance.

11218958_1012027132170825_3872348346376828839_n.jpg

11953179_1008147882558750_2795003077645079928_n.jpg

Last edited:
Jeffs awake to opportunity
Giulio Di Giorgio January 9, 2015 9:15 AM

080115_JeffsLarge.jpg

“It’s just a lifelong dream really (being drafted by an AFL club) ... and it’d be unreal to get a chance at that.”

Aspiring draftee Liam Jeffs hopes spending time at North Melbourne will help him pursue his “lifelong dream” of playing at the elite level.

The 17-year-old, who is eligible for this year’s National Draft, forms part of the AFL’s level two Academy squad and is undertaking a week-long placement with the Roos.

The 193cm midfielder has been given an eye-opening experience into the life of an AFL footballer, going so far as to living with Mason Wood, Joel Tippett and Kieran Harper during his time at the club.

“I’ve just found if I look like I’m lost, they’ll come up to me and say, ‘Are you right, mate?’ I find it really good when they do that,” Jeffs told NMFC.com.au.

The youngster says training at Arden Street has helped him understand what’s required of a professional athlete.

“You learn the things that are required for the game, such as you’ve got to be able to listen, the recovery and diet (aspects) and all those things you don’t understand until you experience it yourself,” he said.

Some words of advice from a North veteran helping Jeffs along the way.

“‘Wellsy’ (Daniel Wells) said, ‘Go hard, play how you play and bring your strengths.’ That’s what I got out of Wellsy,” he said.

But it’s the late afternoon weight sessions that have proved most strenuous for the lightly-framed teenager.

“Obviously I don’t lift as much as them, like Majak (Daw) and people like that. I’ve got my little 60kg on the bench and they’ve got 100-plus,” he said with a laugh.

“It’s about 5:30pm (after training is complete) and you’re stuffed, so you go home.”

Jeffs’ football journey began at the Croydon Football Club before his mates quickly convinced him to join East Ringwood at under-10 level.

He later teamed up with the Eastern Ranges’ under-15 squad and last year featured in every game of the TAC Cup competition as a bottom-aged player.

His involvement with the Ranges gave him the opportunity to play alongside North recruit Daniel Nielson (pick No. 25 in last year’s draft) and Melbourne draftee Christian Petracca (No. 2).

“I’m pretty good friends with Christian so we’ll hang out outside of footy. I’d rotate in the middle with him and learn heaps from him because he’d be getting tagged every week.”

Jeffs, who turns 18 in March, models his game on Fremantle midfielders David Mundy and Nat Fyfe.

Being able to fulfil multiple positions is an important factor for the teen, who envisages playing in the midfield with stints up forward.

“Because I’m quite tall, I try to match it (my game) around them with their inside ball and ability to be versatile within positions," he said.

“I found out that Mundy was picked All Australian full-back at under-18 level.”

Jeffs is especially animated when he talks about the prospect of being drafted by an AFL club.

“It sends tingles down your spine,” he said.

“It’s just a lifelong dream really, since you were little you watch players, even Boomer Harvey that’s here and Drew Petrie, and it’d be unreal to get a chance at that.”

As part of the academy program, Jeffs featured in the Australian under-17’s curtain raiser against the Allies on Grand Final day and trained with Melbourne in December.

The level two squad members, who have this week been undertaking their second round of placements at AFL clubs, will board a plane to Tampa in Florida on Saturday morning.

“The first seven to eight days is just training at the IMG Academy and doing all sorts of tests,” Jeffs said.

“One of them is a VO2 max test. I’ve never done that before so it will be really interesting to see what it’s like.

“At the end, (we’ll attend) an NBA game and a college game.”

More By Giulio Di Giorgio

Wouldn't mind picking up Jeffs with a later pick. Has been injured this year and is captain of Easter Ranges.
Was the quickest at Draft Combine for the 20mtr sprint.

The Perry boys.

That's them HH. Jordan won the goalkicking at Marcellin and he and Bontempelli finished 1-2 in the BnF. Great kids from a quality family. Matt injured a shoulder late in this year's carnival and suffered a bad ankle injury late in the year which has him out of the draft combine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back