2015 Non-Crows AFL Discussion - Pt. 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re the greyhound thing, I was watching offside or whatever it's called on the ABC. One of the live baiting trainers was suspended. He simply transferred all his dogs to his wife's name. One of them came second just now in a big race and they collected their 30k prize as per usual.

Burn that industry to the ground.
Are you sure? I read after he transferred the dogs to his wife's name they were banned from running. This was the big wig who was caught. They stopped 2 of his dogs in a midweek.

Perhaps a different state didn't do the same. Disgraceful if true as cheating.

Are you sure? I read after he transferred the dogs to his wife's name they were banned from running. This was the big wig who was caught. They stopped 2 of his dogs in a midweek.

They spoke about owners mentioning court challenges. The ruling body apparently back-flipped but required a stat-dec saying the owner didn't have any knowledge of the practice.

They spoke about owners mentioning court challenges. The ruling body apparently back-flipped but required a stat-dec saying the owner didn't have any knowledge of the practice.
That's a bit like the essendon players' saying they had no knowledge of taking drugs. If they have been illegally trained then they should be banned. Let them sue the trainers.

You can watch it here. Skip to about 20.20. Greyhound Racing Victoria obviously felt the furore had subsided enough that they back flipped on the ban and simply made the owner pwommis he didn't know anything about live baiting so he could race his dogs.

Those dogs should be removed from competition forthwith at a bare minimum and all owners and trainers involved should be served provisional bans from competition pending further investigation.

Life bans, fines and related asset seizures for all owners and jail time for trainers convicted of animal cruelty should be the go. I believe there is a two year maximum sentence applicable.

You can watch it here. Skip to about 20.20. Greyhound Racing Victoria obviously felt the furore had subsided enough that they back flipped on the ban and simply made the owner pwommis he didn't know anything about live baiting so he could race his dogs.

Those dogs should be removed from competition forthwith at a bare minimum and all owners and trainers involved should be served provisional bans from competition pending further investigation.

Life bans, fines and related asset seizures for all owners and jail time for trainers convicted of animal cruelty should be the go. I believe there is a two year maximum sentence applicable.
Completely agree!

Think longer sentences available - heard 4 years but may differ by state.

You still dont get. You would need to ban EVERY single trainer.
This is the worrying thing. Have any owners come out in protest at these live baited dogs being allowed to run? Presumably they have a competitive advantage. I wouldn't be happy if I had invested a fortune in dogs and those with an unlawful advantage were allowed to compete against my dogs. If there is no such protest you start to assume this is fairly standard practice in the industry.

You still dont get. You would need to ban EVERY single trainer.
Every trainer involved in this practice should be banned.

Many are claiming not to use this practice.

Personally it's akin to how many tour de France cyclists were clean during the Armstrong era. Ie we will never know...

The more the better. Make an example of them. You have to be a special kind of scum to set out to gratuitously harm animals.
Agree - Those caught on camera should get the maximum penalty available. There are no mitigating circumstances.

All their wealth should be taken as proceeds from crime & cheating.

Every trainer does it. Most are more discreet. No dogs have an advantage because they have all had live kills.
It certainly makes them keen and chase harder. Some more than others.
if true then close down the whole industry.

How can you be so sure that 100% adopt live kills?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Done!

Make it happen.
And that would be fine by me. I do not agree with the practice.
The faux paus outrage on social media has gone way over the top, and I'm not just talking about live baiting.
The indignation at trivial matters can go viral and get blown out of all proportion.
No, I do not think this is a trivial matter. I'm just making a general observation.

If they want to stop this then maybe they need to think of a different way of getting them to race. Remove the stuffed toy on the rail and maybe actually train them to run a lap.
Put a harness on them with a pole pointing over their heads. Dangle a chop from the pole with a piece of string.

Simples. Tccch.

If they want to stop this then maybe they need to think of a different way of getting them to race. Remove the stuffed toy on the rail and maybe actually train them to run a lap.
This practise has always gone on by every trainer in the game. I saw it first hand back in the early 70's when I was a young man. As it was explained to me, it was to give the dogs a reason to chase. The resultant kill was viewed as a reward for chasing. That is how the dogs are trained to chase after a toy tail around a race track.
Make of this what you will but it won't change a thing. How else can you teach a dog to chase after a rabbit's tail. Use foxes?

This practise has always gone on by every trainer in the game. I saw it first hand back in the early 70's when I was a young man. As it was explained to me, it was to give the dogs a reason to chase. The resultant kill was viewed as a reward for chasing. That is how the dogs are trained to chase after a toy tail around a race track.
Make of this what you will but it won't change a thing. How else can you teach a dog to chase after a rabbit's tail. Use foxes?
who gives a s**t? If it really is mandatory practice among every trainer ban the "sport" entirely.

I doubt anybody would get their noses put out of joint, outside of the scum directly involved of course.

One of the SA trainers stated that she uses furry toys that squeak... but according to you & a few others, no trainer is clean.

I'm of the view of the previous posts, if you can't run greyhounds without this barbaric training methods, then the industry should die.

If people need something to gamble on, give them toad racing or a new AFC moderator every week ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back