2015 Non-Crows AFL Discussion - Pt. 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.news.com.au/national/sou...o-hold-a-meeting/story-fnii5yv4-1227193426292

Very disappointing to read this. I condemn all domestic violence including the rare circumstances where men are victims.

Colin James: "There is no need for the Tigers to seek legal advice. There is no need for the club to gather its board members together. There is no need for these people to sit down and discuss what they need to do."

And that's why you're a flog journalist at possibly the nation's worst newspaper. If you could one day climb down off your amazingly high soapbox and let the experts do their job, it'd be nice to go a day without hearing about your manufactured outrage.

Colin James: "There is no need for the Tigers to seek legal advice. There is no need for the club to gather its board members together. There is no need for these people to sit down and discuss what they need to do."

And that's why you're a flog journalist at possibly the nation's worst newspaper. If you could one day climb down off your amazingly high soapbox and let the experts do their job, it'd be nice to go a day without hearing about your manufactured outrage.

Sorry, I'm confused at your reasoning here.

So you think that it should have been discussed? You think Nick had the right of reply to the board, after being found guilty?

Sorry, I'm confused at your reasoning here.

So you think that it should have been discussed? You think Nick had the right of reply to the board, after being found guilty?

Yes, I do think it should have been discussed. Mr James says that Glenelg can simply fire him because he's been found guilty, they don't even need to discuss it. I would counter-argue that any organisation that acts in a responsible manner, would confer to meet and discuss options - can we immediately terminate or would Nick Stevens then have grounds to sue for wrongful dismissal? If I was a board member, that would be my first question.

Do I think Stevens has right of reply to the board? No. I've never been fired, then thought to counter-argue with my employer in the hope of staying on, much less been let go for something heinous and thought, "c'mon let me stay"

Yes, I do think it should have been discussed. Mr James says that Glenelg can simply fire him because he's been found guilty, they don't even need to discuss it. I would counter-argue that any organisation that acts in a responsible manner, would confer to meet and discuss options - can we immediately terminate or would Nick Stevens then have grounds to sue for wrongful dismissal? If I was a board member, that would be my first question.

Do I think Stevens has right of reply to the board? No. I've never been fired, then thought to counter-argue with my employer in the hope of staying on, much less been let go for something heinous and thought, "c'mon let me stay"

My take on James' story was that this decision/case didn't come out of the blue. The board should've met & discussed this well before yesterday - then once the judgement was handed down, they had already decided on their course of action either way. Your first question should've been asked a month ago.

My take on James' story was that this decision/case didn't come out of the blue. The board should've met & discussed this well before yesterday - then once the judgement was handed down, they had already decided on their course of action either way. Your first question should've been asked a month ago.

That's true, it didn't come out of the blue. The board should have met and discussed it before yesterday. Colin is claiming the board shouldn't have met or need to meet at all. Indeed, that's his first paragraph:

"THE Glenelg Football Club must sack Nick Stevens immediately for assaulting his former partner. There is no need, as it intends, to hold a meeting tonight to discuss his fate. "

That's true, it didn't come out of the blue. The board should have met and discussed it before yesterday. Colin is claiming the board shouldn't have met or need to meet at all. Indeed, that's his first paragraph:

"THE Glenelg Football Club must sack Nick Stevens immediately for assaulting his former partner. There is no need, as it intends, to hold a meeting tonight to discuss his fate. "

I see how it reads like that, but his 5th paragraph is "It is not like the outcome was unexpected. The club should have been ready to act as soon as the verdict was announced. The media statement should have been ready to go." suggesting that they should have already met and had their statements ready for any outcome.

I think we are on the same wavelength though. James' heading is that what to get people into the story, unfortunately.

I would have thought the Board Meeting is part of the mechanism for sacking Stevens.

I am sure as per the Glenelg FC Constitution it would be the Board who hires and fires the Head Coach.

In order to follow the laws set out in the Constition proper process must be followed, thus the meeting was called.

Doubt the topic was discussed much further than a simple vote five minutes into the meeting. As the board would have been well aware of the situation and had a contingency plan in place for once the Guilty verdict was made.

This Colin James guy has no idea.

You are a ******, this is a forum and I voiced an opinion. I was disappointed to read about domestic violence by a former AFL footballer, you flog.

You should get down from your amazingly high soapbox and maybe seek clarification before passing judgement.

...but i completely agreed with you? That's why i 'liked' the post - I just thought the "article" was poor.

And that's why you're a flog journalist
is directed at Colin James, I have no idea what kind of journalist you are ;)

...but i completely agreed with you? That's why i 'liked' the post - I just thought the "article" was poor.

is directed at Colin James, I have no idea what kind of journalist you are ;)

Im so sorry. My bad. Post will be removed.

Im so sorry. My bad. Post will be removed.

All good buddy, I just had a "WTF?" moment

So we're agreed: Nick Stevens & Colin James = bad, Grotto & deaneus = good

Holy crap, have I outed you as a journalist? ARE YOU RUCCI??!?!?!?!?!

Nah, Rucci's not a journalist :D

All good buddy, I just had a "WTF?" moment

So we're agreed: Nick Stevens & Colin James = bad, Grotto & deaneus = good

LOL. :p

Yes it was my bad, not yours. I was copping a head high hit from another poster, so was probably recovering from the concussion sustained when I read your post. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you like sporting fairytales - Chelsea knocked out of FA Cup by Bradford :)

Jon Stead might find himself receiving a few extra offers from a couple of Premier clubs after the quality he showed throughout the match.

Bugger the cowboys, just bring the cheerleaders.
1a8140.jpg

Drugs Are Bad Mackay? can decide if this is not appropriate. I thought this is the most conservative picture of them.

I actually do enjoy the choreographic performances, it does take a lot of athletic prowess, skill and practice to perform. In all seriousness no one should kid themselves, that they are talented at cheerleading. Being good looking is NOT enough, I have watched a documentary of the arduous practice sessions they endure.

1a8140.jpg

Drugs Are Bad Mackay? can decide if this is not appropriate. I thought this is the most conservative picture of them.

I actually do enjoy the choreographic performances, it does take a lot of athletic prowess, skill and practice to perform. In all seriousness no one should kid themselves, that they are talented at cheerleading. Being good looking is NOT enough, I have watched a documentary of the arduous practice sessions they endure.

But being gorgeous is a pre-requisite.

Being talented, fit and hard working isn't enough.

1a8140.jpg

And they are treated very badly

http://m.theatlantic.com/business/a...salaries-of-professional-cheerleaders/283299/

But being gorgeous is a pre-requisite.

Being talented, fit and hard working isn't enough.

Yes that is very very true. How well you dance is irrelevant if you are not gorgeous to begin with. By gorgeous, I mean how gorgeous is defined by the recruiting scouts. Just ask Debbie.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...on-academy-stars/story-fni5f22o-1227198697857

CLUBS will be forced to pay what the AFL says is a fairer price for father-son and academy players under proposed radical changes.
Sydney is the first club set to be stung. The Swans have access to Josh Dunkley (son of former star Andrew) and academy gun Callum Mills (rated a possible No. 1 pick) and could need to cash in a multitude of picks — possibly over two seasons — to secure the pair.
Bidding would shift from the start of trade period to live on draft night under the scheme tabled to clubs late on Tuesday.
The new system could be ticked off at the AFL Commission meeting in March, before Round 1.
The Moneyball-style concept allocates draft picks a declining points value, with No. 1 worth 3000 points.

Recruiters say Gippsland Power’s Dunkley — if he chooses the Swans — could command a pick in the 10-25 range.
That could see the Swans charged about 3000 points for him and Mills.
They would have to build a “points bank” by trading in picks to cash in on draft night, or potentially roll their leftover debt into 2016. The debt would have to be paid, by shifting one or more picks to the back of the draft queue, before the trade period.
When Geelong handed Adelaide picks 14 and 35 for No. 10 and 47 last year the draft value index showed the Cats were the slimmest of winners, 1711 points to 1682.
Under the new system, after Adelaide bid pick 29 for Billy Stretch last year the Demons would have needed to buy that pick to use on Stretch and then pay it off by shifting No. 42 to 51 and having No. 40 tossed to the end of the draft.
But the current system simply allowed them to select Stretch with pick 42.

PAYING THE PRICE
How the Isaac Heeney case would have played out under the AFL’s proposed new father-son/academy bidding system
— Melbourne bids pick No. 2 (worth 2517 points) for Swans academy member Heeney.
— Sydney matches the bid and lands player, but “owes” 1888 points (2517 points, discounted by 25 per cent) to the draft.
— Points are matched to Sydney’s original first pick, No. 18 (985 points), and that pick is moved to the back of the draft. The Swans still owe 903 points.
— Remaining points are matched to Sydney’s next pick, No. 37 (483 points) and that pick is moved to the back of the draft. The Swans still owe 420 points.
— Remaining points are matched to Sydney’s next pick, No. 38 (465 points). The 45 leftover points entitles Sydney to “buy” pick No. 70 rather than go to the back of the line.
— Sydney would have effectively sold picks 18, 37 and 38 for 2 (Heeney), 70, 88 and 89. The Demons then would have taken Christian Petracca and Angus Brayshaw at No. 3 and 4.
— Last year they were able to select Heeney at No. 18 and retain picks No. 37 and 38. They selected two more academy players, excluded from this scenario.

Just in time for making us pay multiple draft picks to get Darren Jarman's kid.

This is for the attention of the Port flogs who claimed Walsh didn't have the expertise to flog our players like Burgess does because we copped a couple of injuries, I give you Wingard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back