2015 Non-Crows AFL Discussion - Pt. 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was going to ask Swans supporters if they'd read this in their preview thread, but didn't want to appear inflammatory. Not sure Russell is entirely correct here, but some parts he seems to be right on. Thoughts?

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...t-of-a-swan-dive/story-fnia3m0h-1227456701540

GET the streamers, party whistles, and a few tissues ready, and prepare to wave a fond farewell to the much loved, iconic Sydney Swans today as a premiership contender for 2015, and for the foreseeable future.

The Swans have been an extremely watchable, admirable, character filled powerhouse for the past two decades, and the envy of opposition fans thanks to the way they have adapted and resisted the AFL forces that work to ensure all top teams eventually drop down the ladder.

The Swans have missed the finals just three times in the past 19 years, and only once in the past 12 seasons, during which time they have won two premierships and played in another two losing grand finals.

But a loss to the Eagles today would be further confirmation that the mighty empire is finally being pulled down.

Glancing at that Dwayne Russell article like:

barkley-head-shake-o.gif

Can only be an advantage to us that Sydney have been distracted like this all week surely. Not Tippett, No Goodes. But Buddy will more than likely be back I imagine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this was the guy who wrote it:
a3769a91e247daf31b06a8d5f30948b1899d8e848fcaf5d295e9e87448adbb50.jpg

This quote makes me laugh:
There, before an official crowd of 27,743, a talent-laced Cats beat the Magpies by 52 points with a side featuring legendary Gary Ablett senior, and current Port Adelaide SANFL coach Garry Hocking.

What the figure doesn’t indicate is the actual crowd size.

Many punters desperate to see an AFL club in action against South Australia’s champions were stuck in the turnstiles for much of the first quarter, so instead elected to jump the fences to get into Football Park.

Whether it was the verbal crowd of 30-35,000, or the official figure, the crowd was at least bigger than all but four of the 142 SANFL-sanction games, including finals, held in 1989.

So the tin foil hat conspiracy theories regarding official crowd attendances began all the way back in the early 90's :p:D

So they admit they fabricated the Norwood thing...

Port Adelaide, it had been revealed, was in secret negotiations with the AFL to join the national competition for the 1991 season, as the first team for South Australia, and the only pre-existing club from outside Victoria.

but then they contridict themselves.

Norwood was also named as the second team to have engaged in discussions. This was confirmed in later years, and in then AFL chief executive Ross Oakley's recent memoirs.

It's of note they quote Oakley memoirs. But they leave out the important bits. He was very honest about not wanting Port in the league, he wanted to force the SANFL to come in on his terms. His priority was a SANFl run team. We knew the VFl would give us a bad deal and we held out. The truth of the matter is Port were used by the VFL to phuq South Australian football over.

They're bragging about it.

Last edited:
The "chip on shoulder" mentality is strong at Alberton.

Such a shame. The name Port Adelaide Football Club used to stand for strength, success and pride.

Now it stands for front running, prematch entertainment and blaming the SANFL for all their woes.

I don't have the links on me right now but the "AFC Corporation" under which we operate was made in 1986 (FYI, Port Adelaide's Corporation was registered in 1994).... so the idea for a "state" side must have always been touted as an option before 1990. At best, Port just gave the SANFL a kick up the backside to get a move on.

I don't have the links on me right now but the "AFC Corporation" under which we operate was made in 1986 (FYI, Port Adelaide's Corporation was registered in 1994).... so the idea for a "state" side must have always been touted as an option before 1990. At best, Port just gave the SANFL a kick up the backside to get a move on.
You would have thought with the supposed unification between the two clubs following PW's passing they might have let this crap slide in the future. But no, here we are again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back