2015 Non Freo discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Freo played all of the top four sides in 2013 away from home. Would have loved to have faced them at Subi in home and away. That would have meant a chance for winning each and guaranteeing that the side finished higher.

As it stood, Freo did the impossible and won a final at Kardinia, which put paid to the idea Freo had a soft draw.

True, but Harry's argument was our soft draw and how nice it would for Freo to have one, which for a side that played finals the year before, your 2013 one was. Plus the "when do we get to play s**t sides at home" which again, in 2013, you did.

I agree, I'd much rather play s**t teams away, & harder teams at home. Like I said before, you guys made the most of a "soft" draw, I hope we can take advantage of ours this year.

One more thing, it's also easy to look back on draws and say they were soft. Your's from 2013 looked softer than it was due to ours and the crows overall shitness that year. Time will tell how easy or hard all teams draws are come the end of the year, I mean, who knew Port would suck so much this year:D

True, but Harry's argument was our soft draw and how nice it would for Freo to have one, which for a side that played finals the year before, your 2013 one was. Plus the "when do we get to play s**t sides at home" which again, in 2013, you did.

I agree, I'd much rather play s**t teams away, & harder teams at home. Like I said before, you guys made the most of a "soft" draw, I hope we can take advantage of ours this year.

One more thing, it's also easy to look back on draws and say they were soft. Your's from 2013 looked softer than it was due to ours and the crows overall shitness that year. Time will tell how easy or hard all teams draws are come the end of the year, I mean, who knew Port would suck so much this year:D
I think soft draw arguments are meaningless, because if a side does make the finals on the back of soft draw, they quickly get bundled out. Eg Adelaide 2012, who (IIRC) played GWS, GCS and Melbourne twice each, finished second, and lost a home final to Sydney.

Freo played all of the top four sides in 2013 away from home. Would have loved to have faced them at Subi in home and away. That would have meant a chance for winning each and guaranteeing that the side finished higher.

As it stood, Freo did the impossible and won a final at Kardinia, which put paid to the idea Freo had a soft draw.

The fact is, West Coast go 23 games of footy without playing either of the 2014 grand finalists. That's an astonishing run of footy where you avoid the very best.
How so. They have to play hawks and swans once

I think soft draw arguments are meaningless, because if a side does make the finals on the back of soft draw, they quickly get bundled out. Eg Adelaide 2012, who (IIRC) played GWS, GCS and Melbourne twice each, finished second, and lost a home final to Sydney.
Add to that Port twice as well, who were a basket case then... 8 wins before the season started

I think its best to remember the words of RTB. Its never as good or as bad as you think.
WC have a good spine and a midfield that is handy but has been crying out for a couple of A graders.
Shuey and Gaff are very good outside players but too easily tagged out the game. Priddis is great a winning pill but shizen at using it.
Masten is sort of ok at most things but doesn't have much of a brain. Wellingham is a beautifully skilled player who seems more concerned about his hair.
Simpson has moved a few things around, gotten Wellingham doing useful things at half back which seems to have freed up Hurn and by adding just one player (Yeo) to the midfield rotation they are suddenly getting more out of the players around him that were doing ok but not well. Yeo has been a bit of a gestalt in there as has having someone classy like the new boy Duggan running around a bit. Sheed is a bit meh but he's not out of place at the level.
Uncover a genuine star in McGovern suddenly you have a pretty useful footy team. Its a weight of numbers thing and knowing where to put everyone to get maximum output. Even Josh Hill is useful when all he has to do is get outside and kick a few sneaky goals.

Is it a premiership team? probably not but its not as diabolical as it was. What happens when they come up against a few contenders around their level will tell us more.

Too much of BigFooty is about absolutes. Things can change, sometimes quickly sometimes slowly. I think Simpson can coach and they are building.

Thing about WC is they only have won 2 games of note out of 7, GWS and Port recently. The GWS win looks better than it did in retrospect and the Port win quite a bit worse in retrospect. They are currently in that 4th to 12th range of teams atm.

I think its best to remember the words of RTB. Its never as good or as bad as you think.
WC have a good spine and a midfield that is handy but has been crying out for a couple of A graders.
Shuey and Gaff are very good outside players but too easily tagged out the game. Priddis is great a winning pill but shizen at using it.
Masten is sort of ok at most things but doesn't have much of a brain. Wellingham is a beautifully skilled player who seems more concerned about his hair.
Simpson has moved a few things around, gotten Wellingham doing useful things at half back which seems to have freed up Hurn and by adding just one player (Yeo) to the midfield rotation they are suddenly getting more out of the players around him that were doing ok but not well. Yeo has been a bit of a gestalt in there as has having someone classy like the new boy Duggan running around a bit. Sheed is a bit meh but he's not out of place at the level.
Uncover a genuine star in McGovern suddenly you have a pretty useful footy team. Its a weight of numbers thing and knowing where to put everyone to get maximum output. Even Josh Hill is useful when all he has to do is get outside and kick a few sneaky goals.

Is it a premiership team? probably not but its not as diabolical as it was. What happens when they come up against a few contenders around their level will tell us more.

Too much of BigFooty is about absolutes. Things can change, sometimes quickly sometimes slowly. I think Simpson can coach and they are building.
Probably as good a summation of the eagles I've read. Before this season started I thought freo sat somewhere in the top bracket of teams whilst the eagles were mid table in the 7th-12th range.

This season so far has confirmed that with both teams showing they're currently at the top of their respective groupings but still with a long way to go to maintain that status

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably as good a summation of the eagles I've read. Before this season started I thought freo sat somewhere in the top bracket of teams whilst the eagles were mid table in the 7th-12th range.

This season so far has confirmed that with both teams showing they're currently at the top of their respective groupings but still with a long way to go to maintain that status

That is kind of humorous if not sad.

So who do we actually want to win out of Hawf and Colas? I know a Hawf win puts us 3 games ahead of both of them, but a Syds win puts Hawf 4 games down. I'm a lot more worried about facing them at the G because it's their home ground - and if they have to travel come finals I reckon it's curtains.

So who do we actually want to win out of Hawf and Colas? I know a Hawf win puts us 3 games ahead of both of them, but a Syds win puts Hawf 4 games down. I'm a lot more worried about facing them at the G because it's their home ground - and if they have to travel come finals I reckon it's curtains.
Leaning to the Swans. Mainly that the harder it is for Hawks come finals the better

Hawks is a bigger threat to us comes finals. But I find it hard to support the cola academy. I am hoping for a draw while they belt the crap out of each other.

Hawks.
No fun beating Sydney in a GF.
If we get there, I want to knock the stuffing out of the hawks.

...Who am I kidding. Of course it'd be fun to knock the stuffing out of the Swans.
Lets say slightly less satisfying than beating Hawthorn.

Hawks.
No fun beating Sydney in a GF.
If we get there, I want to knock the stuffing out of the hawks.

...Who am I kidding. Of course it'd be fun to knock the stuffing out of the Swans.
Lets say slightly less satisfying than beating Hawthorn.

Great thing about the grand final is we might get to see us play four quarters because we won't need to save ourselves for the next week :drunk:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back