2015 Non Freo discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

So Hawthorn unimpressive for the second week in a row. Very average against an injured Essendon. Should have lost against Collingwood last night who were clearly the better team. And yet they are the premiership certainty whereas Freo has no hope. We also see a very average Richmond fall over the line against an injury decimated GWS at home in Melbourne.

Quite amusing how people on this Board have been writing off Freo in preference for Hawthorn, Sydney, Richmond or even West Coast.
Most sensible post ever

So Hawthorn unimpressive for the second week in a row. Very average against an injured Essendon. Should have lost against Collingwood last night who were clearly the better team. And yet they are the premiership certainty whereas Freo has no hope. We also see a very average Richmond fall over the line against an injury decimated GWS at home in Melbourne.

Quite amusing how people on this Board have been writing off Freo in preference for Hawthorn, Sydney, Richmond or even West Coast.
Well we play em next week so at least the extrapolations can hold off for a bit.

They have scoring power to burn, but scoring 100 isn't an end in itself - it depends how many you concede.
If everyone else in the league struggles to score that much, and your systems remain working in light of losing your best key forward, you're doing well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If everyone else in the league struggles to score that much, and your systems remain working in light of losing your best key forward, you're doing well.

Yes and no I think. Unpredictability plays to their advantage and the more experienced midfielders take control and lower the eyes to devastating effect picking out targets they would've completely ignored with the key forward get out kick they otherwise would've utilized and said targets present more and harder because of that. We play better without Pav up forward sometimes when he is missing for a few games here and there. It's not exactly finals applicable but it certainly happens.

That's why I'm not buying the hype on the Sydney win. Goodes and Reid are still 2 decent key position players to pinch hit at FF and CHF. They still had the same quality midfield, still played in conditions adventageous to their style (i.e. small and cramped). They were still nothing more exceptional than what we've seen before playing a side low on confidence and previously found out.

I get the feeling that a missing key forward more than most positions, no matter how good they are, can be a red herring.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back