2015 Non Freo discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Disagree. The Eagles beat Freo in that derby because of a much superior fwd line and attacking style of play.
Can't see how you can enter a derby with 'different intensity and objectives'.
your simply can't tell a team to go half hearted into a game of footy, anyone whose played the game knows that.

Disagree. The Eagles beat Freo in that derby because of a much superior fwd line and attacking style of play.
your simply can't tell a team to go half hearted into a game of footy, anyone whose played the game knows that.

I see. Very cut and dry. So what areas of the game are GWS more superior over the Hawks?

I see. Very cut and dry. So what areas of the game are GWS more superior over the Hawks?
That doesn't even make any sense.
The previous post highlighted that Fremantle went into the derby 'with different intentions and objectives' suggesting that winning wasn't a priority for the dockers that game. At that point the season it absolutely was, my point being that you can't get a team to go into a game not wanting to win it. Only at the selection table but not from a motivational point of view.
GWS played a great game that day, used the ball really well, Mumford destroyed us in the ruck, Hawks were off from the start and paid the price, for what its worth.

If we were going at that game like it was a final, I'd be surprised if we would line up the way we did with Suban and Deboer in the centre for the first bounce. Fyfe at half forward and I think it was no Neale in the centre speaks volumes. I never said they were told to go half hearted but we did not structure up as we normally would.

Eagles had more to play for and it showed. That's all. That first quarter will not happen again if the game meant somethign too us. I would much rather play Eagles than the Hawkes and I think for the Eagles they would not want to give up home ground advantage just to avoid you in game one.

Only time will tell and like i said it is my opinion and will be until proven otherwise.

Edit: I think the WCE Crows game was another prime example of what I'm talking about. Doesn't mean Eagles couldn't beat the Crows in a finals game. Teams all over the competition are gearing up for finals. We had the luxury of doing it a few weeks earlier.

my point being that you can't get a team to go into a game not wanting to win it. Only at the selection table but not from a motivational point of view.
Maybe the coach doesn't intend for it, but players' motivations can waver in the lead up to finals, if not deliberately at least sub consciously don't you think?

Maybe the coach doesn't intend for it, but players' motivations can waver in the lead up to finals, if not deliberately at least sub consciously don't you think?
Yeah absolutely. A players motivation can certainly waiver from week to week, certainly against poor opposition and dead rubber games that have little to no bearing on ladder positions etc

If we were going at that game like it was a final, I'd be surprised if we would line up the way we did with Suban and Deboer in the centre for the first bounce. Fyfe at half forward and I think it was no Neale in the centre speaks volumes. I never said they were told to go half hearted but we did not structure up as we normally would.

Eagles had more to play for and it showed. That's all. That first quarter will not happen again if the game meant somethign too us. I would much rather play Eagles than the Hawkes and I think for the Eagles they would not want to give up home ground advantage just to avoid you in game one.

Only time will tell and like i said it is my opinion and will be until proven otherwise.

Edit: I think the WCE Crows game was another prime example of what I'm talking about. Doesn't mean Eagles couldn't beat the Crows in a finals game. Teams all over the competition are gearing up for finals. We had the luxury of doing it a few weeks earlier.
Yeah ok fair call. Admittedly I didn't see how they structured up in those games. Team selections and yeah structures would seem as though the only means of not taking a game 100%.

WE ARE GOING TO SMASH YOU SPUDS! KENNEDY WILL BE DESTROYED BY THE MIGHTY TALIA. PRIDDIS WILL BE OUT MUSCLED AND GANGBANGED BY THOMMO AND CROUCH. GAFF WILL BE SHUT DOWN AND CRY ON THE BENCH. NIC NAT.......WELL HE WILL STILL DOMINATE JACOBS BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE WE ARE SO GOOD.

BRAD SHEPPARD WILL HAVE A BAD GAME AND HE WILL DO SOMETHING DUMB AND WE WILL ALL LAUGH AT HIM

CROWS BY 56

This guy posted this on Thursday on the Worst Coke Needles preview thread.

They won by 57 points and Naitanui was given a bath by Jacobs so this guy was way off. Nice try though.

That doesn't even make any sense.
The previous post highlighted that Fremantle went into the derby 'with different intentions and objectives' suggesting that winning wasn't a priority for the dockers that game. At that point the season it absolutely was, my point being that you can't get a team to go into a game not wanting to win it. Only at the selection table but not from a motivational point of view.
GWS played a great game that day, used the ball really well, Mumford destroyed us in the ruck, Hawks were off from the start and paid the price, for what its worth.
it was all part of the plan

Last year Silvagni played on Buddy and Franklin won Sydney the game.
Only when they sent Buddy to the wing and the midfielders were left to pick him up....and well didn't. Silvagni totally smothered Buddy, so they had to send him to the midfield to bring him into the game. He then proceeded to give us a hiding.

Only when they sent Buddy to the wing and the midfielders were left to pick him up....and well didn't. Silvagni totally smothered Buddy, so they had to send him to the midfield to bring him into the game. He then proceeded to give us a hiding.
I was at the game, he went from full forward to high half forward, not midfield.

Silvagni isn't a good player, the team is better off with him out of the side.

Even if he was available for selection, he wouldn't be selected. Only got games because Dawson was suspended.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at the game, he went from full forward to high half forward, not midfield.

Silvagni isn't a good player, the team is better off with him out of the side.
In your opinion.
They pushed Buddy up the ground to get him away from Silvagni and it worked because he was no longer on a close checking defender. It freed him up and he hurt us accordingly.

In your opinion.
They pushed Buddy up the ground to get him away from Silvagni and it worked because he was no longer on a close checking defender. It freed him up and he hurt us accordingly.
No, fact.

Silvagni has played 48 out of a possible 140 games, has a winning percentage of 57% in his career. The team itself has had a winning percentage in the years Silvagni has been with the club of 70%

The side is clearly worse off when Silvagni plays: we lose more often.

Last edited:
No, fact.

Silvagni has played 48 out of a possible 118 games, has a winning percentage of 57% in his career. The team itself has had a winning percentage in the years Silvagni has been with the club of 76%

The side is clearly worse off when Silvagni plays: we lose more often.
That's silly s**t. But you are free to have your opinion on him or any other player on our list. As am I.

But who does Silva come in for? Dawson I would assume?
Won't happen because we don't play that many talls and Dawson will always play before Silva because of his extra height. Added to that johnson is now capable of playing on a stronger tall when required. However, Silvagni is a good match up for Buddy and I sometimes wonder if Gunston would have gotten off the leash in the grandfinal if we had of played Silvagni in the GF. We seemed to go in a little undersized.

The number of variables and confounds that would be involved in that stat, would appear to make the statistic, totally irrelevant.
48 games is a large enough sample size. It's not like Silvagni is selected to play more difficult opponents. He is used when one of McPharlin or Dawson are unavailable.

SCOS is great value as cover for Johno, Macca or Dawson going down. Wouldn't take any of their places in the starting squad though.

48 games is a large enough sample size. It's not like Silvagni is selected to play more difficult opponents. He is used when one of McPharlin or Dawson are unavailable.
Last game he played vs West Coast was without Dawson and McPharlin and Johnson had been out for 10 weeks. He had also played one reserves game in months.
That's the circumstances in which he gets a game.
B

• Lee Spurr Alex Silvagni,Garrick Ibbotson
HB Cameron Sutcliffe Michael Johnson, Stephen Hil

Remove this Banner Ad

Back