2015 Non Freo discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

No, fact.

Silvagni has played 48 out of a possible 140 games, has a winning percentage of 57% in his career. The team itself has had a winning percentage in the years Silvagni has been with the club of 70%

The side is clearly worse off when Silvagni plays: we lose more often.

Some people should not be allowed to quote "stats".

I was at the game, he went from full forward to high half forward, not midfield.

Silvagni isn't a good player, the team is better off with him out of the side.

Even if he was available for selection, he wouldn't be selected. Only got games because Dawson was suspended.

I was also at the game and what you have posted here is arrant nonsense. Silvagni was NOT on Buddy when he went rampant with those two goals. That's because he was almost playing as a winger at the time. When Buddy played deep he had Silvagni on him and was kept very quiet.

On actual non-freo discussion, seems Dangerfield managed to squeeze out the 6th year that he wanted to re-sign with the crows. Source pending

EDIT: Bay13 troll. Should check source before I start searching and posting

Last edited:
I was also at the game and what you have posted here is arrant nonsense. Silvagni was NOT on Buddy when he went rampant with those two goals. That's because he was almost playing as a winger at the time. When Buddy played deep he had Silvagni on him and was kept very quiet.
I never said Silvagni was on Buddy. No one was. They moved him from playing deep froward to high half forward - not midfield, he still spent most of his time forward of centre.

And the reason why they did this was because Silvagni couldn't go with him. Because Silvagni is slow and not very good.

McPharlin, Dawson, and Johnson all could go with him, because they are more athletic and better players. Dawson manned the Tippett or the resting ruck man because of the height difference. McPharlin and Johnson were both injured.

Now we have our best three tall defenders available. Why the * would we pick Silvagni?

Your ability to lecture me on my english is about as good as your ability to quote stats. Keep trying
Refute the stats. In the period where Freo has a great winning record, games involving Silvagni are well below average. Why? Because he's no good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And the reason why they did this was because Silvagni couldn't go with him. Because Silvagni is slow and not very good.

McPharlin, Dawson, and Johnson all could go with him, because they are more athletic and better players. Dawson manned the Tippett or the resting ruck man because of the height difference. McPharlin and Johnson were both injured.

Now we have our best three tall defenders available. Why the **** would we pick Silvagni?

Silvagni is definitely fourth in the queue here (probably fifth with the emergence of Pearce). But stating that Silvagni is "not very good" because he's not best suited to roam with Buddy when he goes high or open is ridiculous. If Johnson tried playing on Buddy when deep, he'd get destroyed because he's not physical enough. The key question (which wasn't answered satisfactorily on the day), is who was best placed to handle Buddy when he switched to roaming mode?

Silvagni is definitely fourth in the queue here (probably fifth with the emergence of Pearce). But stating that Silvagni is "not very good" because he's not best suited to roam with Buddy when he goes high or open is ridiculous. If Johnson tried playing on Buddy when deep, he'd get destroyed because he's not physical enough. The key question (which wasn't answered satisfactorily on the day), is who was best placed to handle Buddy when he switched to roaming mode?

Usually, when available, we back McPharlin to follow the fwds as they push up because he has the athleticism to stay with them. He (as with most KP defenders), tends to hold off the back when they push really high/fwd of centre and catch them on the way back, keeping in mind the further away from oppo goals you get, the more it's space you're defending above anything else - but it doesn't always work especially with skilled good spreading midfields. It's what Tigers did to us with Riewoldt in their win pushing him very high into the contest to create even more space for their run etc.

Zac (or SCOS when he plays) will usually stay deeper still picking up any other tall fwd or resting ruck etc.

Back to 'non-Freo' discussion. Will be interesting to see what other top 4 teams do this round in regards to resting. We obviously have the best position, we can blow the game with no real issues.

However, especially if Richmond lose, I can see Sydney doing the same as us. They could take a small gamble and assume WC will win, and just settle for 4th place and comfortably rest players too - certainly Buddy wont play. Plus they're only playing GC at home which will be much easier than our assignment.

WC and Hawks could do similar. Obviously they've got more to play for, but they're playing such weak opposition, Carlton especially - they will barely show up themselves, Hawks could take a risk and rest anybody who remotely needs it, still play a few guns to get the job done, and be happy enough with 3rd at worst.

Back to 'non-Freo' discussion. Will be interesting to see what other top 4 teams do this round in regards to resting. We obviously have the best position, we can blow the game with no real issues.

However, especially if Richmond lose, I can see Sydney doing the same as us. They could take a small gamble and assume WC will win, and just settle for 4th place and comfortably rest players too - certainly Buddy wont play. Plus they're only playing GC at home which will be much easier than our assignment.

WC and Hawks could do similar. Obviously they've got more to play for, but they're playing such weak opposition, Carlton especially - they will barely show up themselves, Hawks could take a risk and rest anybody who remotely needs it, still play a few guns to get the job done, and be happy enough with 3rd at worst.

For Sydney, there is a chance the doggies can catch up to their percentage if they have a big enough win at Brisbane. I doubt Sydney will rest players, but will play at 1/2 pace once they have the win secured.

Hawks still have mathematical chance to make 2nd. It'll be a huge tragedy if WC somehow lost to St Kilda and they tanked and missed the home finals. Probably play at 1/2 pace like Sydney.

West Coast will be crazy to give up 2nd spot, so I don't think they'll consider resting players. (BTW, any well loved St Kilda player announced their retirement this week?)

That's the great thing about our current position. The rest of the finals contenders will still need to work at it to maintain/improve their final position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back