Oppo Camp 2015 non-Geelong match and general football discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vdubs , any idea on what the profit type numbers are for the soccer? Is 23,000 at Geelong a strong profit , better than the rectangular park in melb for eg.
Sorry TC, not my area of knowledge, injury stuff only

Sorry TC, not my area of knowledge, injury stuff only

No prob , just wondering if the turned a good dollar. I see they were a bit grumpy about lines and water or whatever. Gees, Etihad , nee Telstra Dome ..nee Colonial had that type of issues for years when starting out. Obviously not good enough but lets have a few gos at it and we will see how it goes.
If nothing else it showed the potential for other spots I guess although I always wonder how Soccer people like the oval grounds.

No prob , just wondering if the turned a good dollar. I see they were a bit grumpy about lines and water or whatever. Gees, Etihad , nee Telstra Dome ..nee Colonial had that type of issues for years when starting out. Obviously not good enough but lets have a few gos at it and we will see how it goes.
If nothing else it showed the potential for other spots I guess although I always wonder how Soccer people like the oval grounds.
I'm certain it would be profitable; they are going there again in 2016.
My question was whether Geelong sets up a team in the A-League, at Simmonds.
After all, there's a successful team at Gosford, Central Coast Mariners, and Newcastle.

After all, there's a successful team at Gosford, Central Coast Mariners, and Newcastle.

Probably wouldn't pay to open the ground just for Gosford/Newcastle crowds of 8-9000.

Probably wouldn't pay to open the ground just for Gosford/Newcastle crowds of 8-9000.
Agreed.
Could you see any interest in a Geelong soccer team in Blue and White hoops, that uses our ground off-season, in an A-League comp?
..........What do Geelong people do off-season? I am half serious here.
Problem is the 2nd Melbourne team is still finding its way.

Last edited:
Agreed.
Could you see any interest in a Geelong soccer team in Blue and White hoops, that uses our ground off-season, in an A-League comp?
..........What do Geelong people do off-season? I am half serious here.
Problem is the 2nd Melbourne team is still finding its way.

I don't know.
The real problem is, initially, secure long-term financing of the team itself.

I don't know.
Spot-on. Melbourne City, now owned by the owners of Manchester City, has a future.
Previously, was very uncertain.

I don't know.
which is unlikely. All it takes is one bad year financially then it goes the way of the supercats. Geelong is still not quite big enough. Unless a sugar daddy billionaire hits town like Melbourne City have. Maybe convince Clive Palmer to come back to the A league

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or the unsuccessful ventures like the Gold Coast and North Queesland Fury We only ever hear the success stories and never the
failures. Lets not forget that half the 23,000 crowd at Simonds were Melbourne Victory people who travelled down. A Geelong only crowd would be much less

Or the unsuccessful ventures like the Gold Coast and North Queesland Fury We only ever hear the success stories and never the
failures. Lets not forget that half the 23,000 crowd at Simonds were Melbourne Victory people who travelled down. A Geelong only crowd would be much less
I agree with this, it's also why in that other thread we had about this I suggested a BBL team would be a better option... Also it was a purely selfish suggestion as it may give me some form of interest in it :D

Agree, but that's the question I was posing.

I just put this in on the mainboard and it makes me sad :(

"2 things that absolutely screwed us now was losing Ablett and Mumford. Would be a vastly better side today with both of those 2 in maybe would have snatch the flag off of you (this is in response to a Hawks post) in 2013. 2011 it didn't hurt as much because we had Ottens as no 1 ruck and still had a very formidable midfield.

Looking at today, we haven't covered either of those players (a gun Midfielder and decent number 1 ruck) Also haven't replaced Lingy with an effective tagger either."

"2 things that absolutely screwed us now was losing Ablett and Mumford. Would be a vastly better side today with both of those 2 in maybe would have snatch the flag off of you (this is in response to a Hawks post) in 2013. 2011 it didn't hurt as much because we had Ottens as no 1 ruck and still had a very formidable midfield.

Looking at today, we haven't covered either of those players (a gun Midfielder and decent number 1 ruck) Also haven't replaced Lingy with an effective tagger either."
You are forgetting more recently we ain't covered Chappy and Corey either

Not sure about that.

Take ruckmen. Mumford left at the end of 2009. We still had Ottens, Blake and West on the list then. With Ottens and West we won another premiership. The club chose to let go of Blake, and three years later, chose to trade West. I'm not sure you can suddenly turn around and say that losing Mumford "screwed" us.

If anything losing Ablett hurt us more. But again, that's now four full seasons ago.

We are simply too impatient. Do people really think we can magically pop in another player of Ablett's quality? Or that a top drawer tagger like Ling was that good overnight? He wasn't. It seems at times that unless we find every type of possible player instantly there must be something horribly wrong.

No doubt there have been mistakes in list management over the last few years. But Ablett and Mumford I'm rarely concerned by. We couldn't afford what either demanded.

Not sure about that.

Take ruckmen. Mumford left at the end of 2009. We still had Ottens, Blake and West on the list then. With Ottens and West we won another premiership. The club chose to let go of Blake, and three years later, chose to trade West. I'm not sure you can suddenly turn around and say that losing Mumford "screwed" us.

If anything losing Ablett hurt us more. But again, that's now four full seasons ago.

We are simply too impatient. Do people really think we can magically pop in another player of Ablett's quality? Or that a top drawer tagger like Ling was that good overnight? He wasn't. It seems at times that unless we find every type of possible player instantly there must be something horribly wrong.

No doubt there have been mistakes in list management over the last few years. But Ablett and Mumford I'm rarely concerned by. We couldn't afford what either demanded.

I dunno Patridge, I don't want to go into a big thing about it, because whats done is done and can't be undone, but we're hard up for these players and left holes in our list that have proven irreplaceable now for 3 years. Add to that they are gone to AFL assisted clubs with COLA that could pay more then us.

Last edited:
Not sure about that.

Well we got rid of Balme who was responsible for letting go West and Blake plus Chapman so that's one excellent decision in the off season IMO so I'm a little more positive.

Well we got rid of Balme who was responsible for letting go West and Blake plus Chapman so that's one excellent decision in the off season IMO so I'm a little more positive.

They actually ditched Balme because they were sick of him complaining about Hocking getting rid of Mumford, Blake, West & Chapman

Is there any specific timeline for the ASADA tribunal case to be finished? A tweet from Patrick Keane today says they're still up to opening submissions by asada. It's nearly 2 years now since this came to light, 3 since the offending occurred.... Very drawn out process....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back