Oppo Camp 2015 non-Geelong match and general football discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As JUBJUB said...you can't really blame him for being named Australian of Year it was Abbott. Stuff spending money and doing something meaninful to fix the issues of indigneous Australians we will just make a token effort and make a well known indigneous Australian 'Australian of the Year' to keep people happy.

But he is a sniper...a diver...and protected by the AFL....so I wouldn't rule out booing him at a game I was at...along with booing half the Hawthorn side, Ballentyne, Crowley, Campbell Brown, Justin Murphy etc. etc. etc.

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

If players were booed for cheating and sniping Steve Johnson would be booed every single week. Let's be honest, our SJ is up there with the very best at it. And Sam Mitchell.

He is booed because he is an outspoken black man, that is irrefutable.

Totally disagree. I think it's very refutable. I'd argue he's booed because he's perceived to be an umpires' pet, who then complains to them (loud and often) when he doesn't get free kicks, and for his newfound ability to be offended at everything. Do people really think in a 15-year career he's never abused anyone on the field? Never sledged anyone? He better not have called people soft or weak for instance, if they suffer from depression that could be pretty damaging to their self-esteem.

Newsflash Adam - not everyone is going to like you, not everyone is going to agree with you. They don't have to either. It's called reality. Seeing as you make hundreds of thousands of dollars for having a very cushy lifestyle, perhaps you should suck it up and stop being so precious.

The Onion summed this up beautifully earlier this month. Goodes would fit right in:

http://www.theonion.com/article/parents-dedicate-new-college-safe-space-honor-daug-50851

Hahahahahaha oh my god

'Hey guys please don't call me an ape and by the way Aboriginal people have it pretty s**t in this country'
'Whoa, that's very outspoken. What a dickhead. Imma boo. Ps I'm not a racist.'

BTW comparing him to Jason Akermanis, a man who 'rubbed people up the wrong way' in part by calling Aboriginals 'monkeys', is too perfect.

People can call him anything they like. It's called freedom of speech. You don't, I don't, and he doesn't have the right to never be offended.

He'd also fail basic biology. He is an ape, and so are you and so am I.

I don't care if he is black, or AOTY, or a sniper, a thug or a sook. Its gone on long enough and has taken on a life of its own. Its weak and am hoping our supporters don't boo him.
Geelong supporters don't make any noise I'm told... (repeatedly).

I don't care if he is black, or AOTY, or a sniper, a thug or a sook. Its gone on long enough and has taken on a life of its own. Its weak and am hoping our supporters don't boo him.

Geelong fans could call him every name possible as far as I'm concerned. But given most Geelong fans would rather hug former players than criticise them anyway, I think it's safe to say the crowd will be silent as usual when he graces us with his presence.

Take out the black and you've got it.
Nothing at all to do with his skin colour.It's his outspoken comments he's made since Mr Big Ears gave him that stupid fricking award.

If it's skin coloured related then how come every other indigenous player isn't booed ?

How many of those other aboriginal players are as public in demanding that we achieve equality with the white populace? I'd say a small proportion boo Goodes because of his propensity to snipe (though the fact Mitchell isn't booed week in week out tends to put doubt to that theory), but the majority boo him because they subconsciously feel uncomfortable with a black man challenging their norms.

People can call him anything they like. It's called freedom of speech. You don't, I don't, and he doesn't have the right to never be offended.

Come on Partridge. You're better than that. You can't tell me that calling a black man an "ape" is more offensive than calling a white man the same. You just have to consider the long history of persecution of black man before you throw everyone in the same basket.

Yeah so that's actually not true. We do not have the right to absolute freedom of speech in Australia, as Messrs Bolt and Hockey have demonstrated in recent times. And even assuming we lived in a libertarian utopia, doesn't that totally undermine the reasons for booing him? If we're supposed to not care about the actions or words of others, why are we booing a footballer?

Serious question: do you think that kind of answer makes you look in anyway intelligent?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whatever you believe about the situation, this is one point that is unquestionably true.

The idea that booing Goodes in this incessant fashion is in any way meritorious (or even defensible) is totally ridiculous.

When we have to reduce ourselves to defending someone's right to be a completely uncaring and puerile individual for the sake of supposed "freedom", you can be sure we have turned a very unpleasant corner in the 'progress' of our society.

Geelong fans could call him every name possible as far as I'm concerned. But given most Geelong fans would rather hug former players than criticise them anyway, I think it's safe to say the crowd will be silent as usual when he graces us with his presence.
Is there something offensive about hugging former players?

Wait.....when did Goodes play for Geelong ?

Wait.....when did Goodes play for Geelong ?
Don't know Jubby, I must have been too busy asking the guy next to me if it was PC to boo him or if it would be perceived as racist :rolleyes:

How the hell can a player get fined twice in 6 weeks for gut punching an opponent off the ball ?
That Hawk turd Gibson has been done again.

No previous record or bad history. He plays for Hawks.

SJ would be 9 weeks same infraction.

Go Catters

Yeah so that's actually not true. We do not have the right to absolute freedom of speech in Australia, as Messrs Bolt and Hockey have demonstrated in recent times. And even assuming we lived in a libertarian utopia, doesn't that totally undermine the reasons for booing him? If we're supposed to not care about the actions or words of others, why are we booing a footballer?

Serious question: do you think that kind of answer makes you look in anyway intelligent?

Serious answer: don't care. People are going to think (and say) what they want regardless. Anything written here will make little difference.

But for me, I would have thought a key thing for society grow out of the poisonous ethnocentrisms that plague us (racism, sexism etc.) is education. Once you realise how closely related all humans are, foolish notions like racism get consigned to the dustbin where they belong.

Serious answer: don't care. People are going to think (and say) what they want regardless. Anything written here will make little difference.

But for me, I would have thought a key thing for society grow out of the poisonous ethnocentrisms that plague us (racism, sexism etc.) is education. Once you realise how closely related all humans are, foolish notions like racism get consigned to the dustbin where they belong.

Could it be that all those people booing are just fundamentalist Young Earth Creationists Partridge?:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back