Oppo Camp 2015 non-Geelong match and general football discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to move on. Who will contend in 2016? Will teams such as North and Richmond get to that next level? Will the Hawks get their again? What about Port and their blip this year? Dixon will cause damage for them, they may be most potent run and gun team out there with him. What about the exciting youth at the Bulldogs, Pies and the Cats? Are Fremantle on the decline? Is Buddy gone for the Swans? Can their hard contested game come back? Will the Eagles web work on a bigger ground? And can Adelaide even compete without Danger? Is 2016 finally the year that GC or GWS make it to the finals? There's a lot more to consider than this perpetual cycle of licking the imaginary wounds of a grand final that the Hawks won. Do we really care about 2015 now it's done and dusted? This is the time to be optimistic... Day 1.
2016, can't come quick enough. I like your questions and I would like it if you ask them again at a later date, I would very much like to join in that discussion with all the extra information that will come to hand over the nxt few weeks.

Don't forget the newly introduced free agency which allowed them to fill wholes in their side with decent players from mostly bottom clubs.

The one that really annoys me though is Gunston, who I still don't know how after only 2 years at the club that drafted him he was permitted to be immediately traded to a contender.

If he was that desperate to come back to Victoria after just a few years in Adelaide then Melbourne, Richmond or another perennial bottom dweller should've been his only options.

They were also able to snare a few good players in the preceding years namely Gibson and Burgoyne who forced their way into the piss and poos which it's luxury that Geelong just doesn't have.
I think the AFL were naïve in hoping that F/A would help the cellar dwellers, all I see is good players wanting to leave those teams for a good team for a chance at a G/F win, and you can't blame them right. Good lesson for all teams BE SUCCESSFUL.

Time to move on. Who will contend in 2016? Will teams such as North and Richmond get to that next level? Will the Hawks get their again? What about Port and their blip this year? Dixon will cause damage for them, they may be most potent run and gun team out there with him. What about the exciting youth at the Bulldogs, Pies and the Cats? Are Fremantle on the decline? Is Buddy gone for the Swans? Can their hard contested game come back? Will the Eagles web work on a bigger ground? And can Adelaide even compete without Danger? Is 2016 finally the year that GC or GWS make it to the finals? There's a lot more to consider than this perpetual cycle of licking the imaginary wounds of a grand final that the Hawks won. Do we really care about 2015 now it's done and dusted? This is the time to be optimistic... Day 1.
Yep couldn't agree more. And 2016 starts with other clubs wising up a bit. How can we keep having useless GF's, how can we have a GF where a team has 300 uncontested possessions, where virtually an entire team brings its best game while players on the other team all bring their worst? Time to smarten up. Hawks lost 7 games this year-terrific team but not unbeatable by any stretch. Bring on the competition.
Port to improve, Geelong to improve, North to step up(not far off it), Brissy to improve a bit.
Swans and Freo to drop.
Doggies, WC, Adelaide, Tiges? We'll see.
Comon 2016-am looking forward to it. Paddy will look tops in the hoops!

Yep couldn't agree more. And 2016 starts with other clubs wising up a bit. How can we keep having useless GF's, how can we have a GF where a team has 300 uncontested possessions, where virtually an entire team brings its best game while players on the other team all bring their worst? Time to smarten up. Hawks lost 7 games this year-terrific team but not unbeatable by any stretch. Bring on the competition.
Port to improve, Geelong to improve, North to step up(not far off it), Brissy to improve a bit.
Swans and Freo to drop.
Doggies, WC, Adelaide, Tiges? We'll see.
Comon 2016-am looking forward to it. Paddy will look tops in the hoops!

I am not so sure about North and and Tigers. North have some key players reaching the end of their careers. Goldstein will continue his fine work, but their game seems to be about consistency and being workmanlike. They would do well to get SJ in, he would pair beautifully with Higgens.

The Tigers were lucky to be in tbh. The Cats, GWS and Collingwood were far more impressive in our games (t wins). Yes, they beat some top teams, but they are far too inconsistent to give the flag a real shake.

And what about the draw? How does that effect everything? I reckon the Hawks will travel more and we will be playing the Bulldogs, GWS and Melbourne twice. If we are on song with our midfield, we will get some good wins.

Speaking of - GWS will have some real belief after their win over t Hawks. But losing Treloar is big. I think that their window of dominating in the few years won't actually happen. By losing gun players to better offers and cities normalises them and they will end up like a Freo or Brisbane.

Brisbane may pick up. Their ruck and midfield is pretty bloody good.

And Melbourne are suddenly on the upward trajectory. I reckon there will be quite a few upsets next year.

I want the Hawks to sustain their excellence. I also want to beat them while they are good. I loved that rivalry and it really drove us to fantastic heights. Arguably that rivalry drove them to where they are.

I seriously think Freo can't repeat their output. They will be around 6 to 8.

Anyway, it's good to start thinking forward. I have a lot optimism for the Cats for 2016.

I honestly believe this Hawks team wouldn't beat our team through 2007-2011, at it's peak. Nor would it beat the Lions 3peat team.

Great side but lucky to be playing in the era they are imo
Not so sure. Bottom line is they have won 4 flags if you count 2008 unlike Lions and cats, who in their prime had better inside midfielders but that's where it ends. Hawks have better forwards, defenders and outside players than the Lions did. Id say we had a better backline than either side.

Not so sure. Bottom line is they have won 4 flags if you count 2008 unlike Lions and cats, who in their prime better inside midfielders but that's where it ends. Hawks have better forwards, defenders and outside players than the Lions did. Id say we had a better backline than either side.

I don't count 2008. Different side. Think only 5 remain (Burgoyne has 4 too but he won his first at Port)

I don't count 2008. Different side. Think only 5 remain (Burgoyne has 4 too but he won his first at Port)
Its not all that different to the 2013 side when they still had Franklin and Guerra, etc. They certainly wont fall off a cliff and become irrelevant like the Lions did.

I still reckon they will make a late play and snag Dangerfield,that will be the end.
They cant afford it. Pretty sure they have salary cap squeeze having to resign youngsters who have been excellent but cant break into the senior team like Litherland, O'Rourke, etc or they will go elsewhere

Hard to know, isn't it but they beat us when we were a fantastic team, and before they had really hit their straps in 2008.
I think we got ahead of ourselves in 2008 and paid the price.
I certainly believe that on that particular Saturday in 2007, no one would have have beaten us, haven't seen a team prior to that day, nor since that would have.
But we blew it in 2008 and that helped send the Hawks on this path. We created a monster!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not so sure about North and and Tigers. North have some key players reaching the end of their careers. Goldstein will continue his fine work, but their game seems to be about consistency and being workmanlike. They would do well to get SJ in, he would pair beautifully with Higgens.

The Tigers were lucky to be in tbh. The Cats, GWS and Collingwood were far more impressive in our games (t wins). Yes, they beat some top teams, but they are far too inconsistent to give the flag a real shake.

And what about the draw? How does that effect everything? I reckon the Hawks will travel more and we will be playing the Bulldogs, GWS and Melbourne twice. If we are on song with our midfield, we will get some good wins.

Speaking of - GWS will have some real belief after their win over t Hawks. But losing Treloar is big. I think that their window of dominating in the few years won't actually happen. By losing gun players to better offers and cities normalises them and they will end up like a Freo or Brisbane.

Brisbane may pick up. Their ruck and midfield is pretty bloody good.

And Melbourne are suddenly on the upward trajectory. I reckon there will be quite a few upsets next year.

I want the Hawks to sustain their excellence. I also want to beat them while they are good. I loved that rivalry and it really drove us to fantastic heights. Arguably that rivalry drove them to where they are.

I seriously think Freo can't repeat their output. They will be around 6 to 8.

Anyway, it's good to start thinking forward. I have a lot optimism for the Cats for 2016.
Yep I expect North to get a couple of good recruits, as they did this year and to get better-they are getting a good grounding for finals footy.
Tiges, so disappointing in the finals, hard to tell-lots of people think they will continue to step up, but hard to see after that effort.
Agree, want to catch the Hawks while they are still good.
Yep-I am really looking forward to next year and expect Geelong to do well.

Two ways I am sure of, one possible dark reason.

Expanded number of team thins out talent.

But what does this have to do with Hawthorn's 3peat. Surely they are just as affected by the thinning of talent pool as any other established team.

Compromised drafts.
Again, Hawthorn as a successful team of recent times are affected more by compromised drafts than less successful teams as they have been pushed further down the pecking order. It has not stopped them from winning flags.

Reduction in use of PEDs following EFC disaster.

You are reaching here.

Again, Hawthorn as a successful team of recent times are affected more by compromised drafts than less successful teams as they have been pushed further down the pecking order. It has not stopped them from winning flags.
Disagree totally. It slowed down the speed of which the chasing pack have tried to assemble a premiership standard list to topple them as they too have fallen down the pecking order. The rebuilding group St.k/Dogs/Dees/Brisbane have had good picks but they're not the ones who were pushing to beat the hawks these last couple of years.

But what does this have to do with Hawthorn's 3peat. Surely they are just as affected by the thinning of talent pool as any other established team.

You are reaching here.
Not much to work with in your reply Rabbi.

I'm not arguing about it. It is what it is - a weakened comp.

Andrew McKay has come out and said that Carlton will play hard-ball over Yarran and want a first round pick.

Surely some mistake...:rolleyes:

The guy is unsettled, under-performing and poisoning the motivation of the group.
Do they expect anyone to believe that they would be happy to keep him - so that he can sit cross-armed and disinterested on their bench for a whole season.

Saw this on Facebook...

12088076_780084482100610_8710161046912526951_n.jpg

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back