2015 - Our Most Experienced Side

Sanchez365

Club Legend
May 9, 2011
Melbourne/New York City
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
As a few people have touched on him, I think McGuane will actually be a really important player for us. We need that forward that can direct the younger kinds around and get them structured up. I'm not sure if McGuane has that coaches mentality like Goose does, maybe its a role best played by Staked.

Regardless I would be earmarking someone for that role and sending them out for drinks with all our young forwards for the entire off season.

John_Proctor

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
re: EasyPEasy's cyclical approach column I think we are seeing wiht Free Agency that the cyclical approach is a dangerous game.

Hawthorn, Geelong, Sydney have been able to retool through free agency and selective trading to stay at the top since 2008 onwards... free agents will generally choose succcess over money (unless its an absolutely outrageous amount of money) and if you can't offer a player success then its hard to imagine them going. what do St Kilda have to offer as a free agent destination?

i.e. you need to be careful to not just cull to the bone and trust the kids completely and end up like Melbourne who not only aren't attracting free agents but are losing players who'd be handy on the field today!

Also this year we've had a rough(ish) run with injuries and Leppa had marked some players cards early. So he was able to play the kids and not really piss anyone off who was going to be at hte club next year. Next year with Rich, Redden, Leuenberger (and McGuane and Staker) back and another influx of kids who leppa will want to have a look there will be players missing out consistently who might not be so happy about it.

At the end of next year a bunch of guys out of this group of 22 and even some of hte kids who've 'broken through' this year might be unhappy and seen as trade targets for other clubs.

its a 'good' problem to have because it shows we have depth but worth thinking that next year the club might not be as fully rosy as it has been this year.

Back