2015 Potential Draftee and Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

True enough.

And I certainly wouldn't advocate packing the midfield with 19 year old, sub 180cm players.

On the flip side though, I wonder how many supporters look at Gregson and think he is better than #47.

We sometimes get caught up in looking for reasons NOT to draft a kid, height is usually #1 on that list.

When you have two names in front of you that you rate to be a similar prospect, ones 175cm and the others 185 cm, 10/10 recruiters will pick the taller player. The sub 175cm players that get drafted have other (often freakish) talents that overcome there size deficiencies. I wish we could see what notes Wells had on Gregson before we drafted him.

...I wish we could see what notes Wells had on Gregson before we drafted him.
I'd love to read notes and pick the brain of all the recruiters.

A player in recent memory who would make for interesting reading is Nat Fyfe.

I think every club had a chance to take him but he lasted until late first round (maybe early second??). At the time I think people were critical of him because he was on the "light" side and while it was acknowledged that he had some tricks he tended to drift in and out of games and was a bit "outside".

Now look at him.

Kelly was a bit similar as I recall. Good outside runner as a junior but I know one scout who felt Kelly was a little soft.

I asked him a few years later, after a number of games from Kelly, if he remembered saying that and he said "hey, as much as we want to think it is a science, it isn't. We get it wrong at times and we all have skeletons in the closet."

Be fun to sit with them and listen to their thoughts on players.

I'd love to read notes and pick the brain of all the recruiters.

A player in recent memory who would make for interesting reading is Nat Fyfe.

I think every club had a chance to take him but he lasted until late first round (maybe early second??). At the time I think people were critical of him because he was on the "light" side and while it was acknowledged that he had some tricks he tended to drift in and out of games and was a bit "outside".

Now look at him.

Kelly was a bit similar as I recall. Good outside runner as a junior but I know one scout who felt Kelly was a little soft.

I asked him a few years later, after a number of games from Kelly, if he remembered saying that and he said "hey, as much as we want to think it is a science, it isn't. We get it wrong at times and we all have skeletons in the closet."

Recently one of the posters (can't remember who or where unfortunately) who has been doing detailed phantom drafts for 5+ years (not a professional but as good as were going to get) was asked about how Fyfe was perceived back then. He was playing as a medium forward, a skinny guy with a good pair of hands. I doubt he was on anyone's radar for a top 20 pick besides Freemantle. Sometimes a local scout sees something that everyone else just misses. Other times everyone else was right and that something was just in the head of the recruiter.

Best thing ever was the 10-15 minutes we got with Wells on the Cats tour. :thumbsu:

Kelly was taught to be hard - which is the other thing, that what we see now is not necessarily all the player will be.

Also, did anyone else like the look of Gallucci for Metro? Reminded me a little of Travis Colyer in his U18 year. Be interesting to see his stats, as I got the sense he won a fair bit of his own ball. Combined with his pace it could make him a handy player.

Also, did anyone else like the look of Gallucci for Metro? Reminded me a little of Travis Colyer in his U18 year. Be interesting to see his stats, as I got the sense he won a fair bit of his own ball. Combined with his pace it could make him a handy player.

He's the underaged player isn't he? If it's the one I'm thinking of he looked pretty handy in the Metro game down at KP.

No idea but the name Kieran Lovell did pop up today.

Watched a bit of it online.. Lovell got high numbers... did they have hurt factor.. hard to judge. In fact hard to judge both games.. Lots OOB on the full , a mess of scambly play mixed with "slices" play one might a kid noticed.
In the NSW side there was a kid called Harry Himmelberg (what a classic) and he showed the sort of high end stuff mixed in with total brain fades that would have me scratching my head as a recruiter. I wonder if it was like that with Fyfe.
I can remember Fyfes name being raised that year, either on this board or another forum by local football watched in WA.. but heaps of player can look like highlight reals at a lower level then struggle with the demands and disciplines of the higher level.

There was ruck for the NSW side too that sort of looked OK , perhaps Rookie chance again. Matty Fylnn

The acc kid was the standout for them.

SJ Is there a job on here you can give Snow. Based on the cat scan threads created today someone is a bit bored today...
Strangely enough he sent me a PM giving me a friendly warning me and I was still nice enough to make them threads

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few Vc players this year will be taken early.. that Shacky kid sure is nice set shot.. Brisbane bound I guess.
Some sat Shack..some say Shacky... but he is ripper prospect Id say.
Can see why people like Weitering..
He is a bigger , right footed HarryT
Francis , Schache both look guns. Parish.class. Matherson..Inside Ball Bomb and Tucker bit of both. Partington looks a bit under rated Id say, like his heads up in traffic play

Thing is it looks like our first pick will be late..so trying to look at the kids who will go 30+

How late will Curnow be taken. Not having seen him , hard to judge.

Maybe someone from the second div sides... like Hibbard. Good luck guessing our first pick this year if its 40+

Last edited:
Vic Metro 19.7 (121) def WA 7.5 (47)

Bit of a lacklustre one over in the west. During the telecast one West Coast recruiter was interviewed and he mentioned there was some good tall options this year that are likely to go early on.

Based on this game I'll assume those guys play for Vic Country and SA because only Silvangi (who, based on this game, looks a very good get for Carlton under the father-son rule) really made much of an impression on me.

For the winners...

Hard to go past Ryan Clarke from Eastern. After quarter time he owned the footy and ended up with 27 disposals. Kicked two goals in the second quarter when Metro really set up the win and really works hard. Clearly a good runner, he had his share of contested possessions and did some good clearance work. By half time he already had 6 score involvements showing how often he was influencing Metro's attack.

Small forwards have to be value for touches to get noticed and Hisham Kerbatieh certainly got himself noticed by slotting 3 goals. At 177cm he is a long kick and appears fairly accurate. Also has a couple of party tricks as evidenced by his one handed mark late in the third quarter and reads the play well (his positioning at the back of a pack to mark and goal just showed a better ability to read the flight). Doesn't seem to take a backward step either. Brenton Sanderson, who was commentating, mentioned he has played midfield in the TAC so it'll be interesting to see if he gets pushed up the ground in other games.

I thought Tom Phillips started strongly and worked well on the outside, especially between the arcs. Was a neat user of the ball and seems to have good vision with a few of his switches of play to release a teammate. Became less noticeable as the game wore on but finished up with 18 touches and was operating at 78% efficiency.

Jack Firns was the only key defender that caught my eye. Classic defender, stop his man first then worry about a touch once that job is done. Unobtrusive but stuck to his task.

Jade Gresham got a lot of it and used it well (I think it was mentioned he averages over 30 touches at TAC level this season) while Harley Balic just looks like a player. Balic was composed with ball in hand and is one of those players who appears to have time.

James Parsons didn't do much but there was one piece of play that had Sheehan, Sanderson and Campbell gushing. In the backline, with the ball in a dangerous position, Parsons swooped in, picked up the footy cleanly in one hand and weaved his way through traffic to set up a Metro attack. As they said, sometimes it is one little thing that makes you sit up and wonder what might be.

For the losers...

Not a great day for WA and there weren't many performances to write home about on this viewing.

Over-ager Clint Hinchliffe was WA's best 3 quarter player (they all went missing in the second). Has given away cricket to try his luck and has a good left boot and looks like the kind of player that'll be hard to shift off the ball when he is over it due to his low centre of gravity. Doesn't look quick but found himself in the right places and usually did something constructive when he got the ball.

On this viewing WA might have a very useful ruck option...for next year. 202cm Jeremy Goddard easily won the hitouts. Has another year to work on directing those taps to advantage because the Metro mids still won the centre breaks. But he looks like one to watch.

Skipper Greg Clark is the prototype midfielder. 190+, already looks ready to play AFL and started off really strongly. Like a number of his teammates he was subdued after quarter time but still managed a nice goal.

Josh Schoenfeld will be considered by us, his red hair will ensure that. :D Jokes aside, I quite liked his game. Looks like a real worker, was getting up and down the ground repetitively and was always providing an option in the chain. Looked a little sloppy at times with his kicking but the stats state he was around 77% so I'm probably being hard. I liked his goal in the last when he came off the wing, got on the end of the break, arched the back and kicked truly. Might be a little quicker than he looks.

Ridley did some good contested work, Mountfield seemed to get his hands on the ball a few times (but didn't seem overly damaging) and Snadden is another who looks like a player.

Last edited:
Small forwards have to be value for touches to get noticed and Hisham Kerbatieh certainly got himself noticed by slotting 3 goals. At 177cm he is a long kick and appears fairly accurate. Also has a couple of party tricks as evidenced by his one handed mark late in the third quarter and reads the play well (his positioning at the back of a pack to mark and goal just showed a better ability to read the flight). Doesn't seem to take a backward step either. Brenton Sanderson, who was commentating, mentioned he has played midfield in the TAC so it'll be interesting to see if he gets pushed up the ground in other games.
Sounds like he's playing forward just to find a spot for him in the side and he really is a mid.
Look at these notes - he sounds like the perfect guy to be kicking into Tummy P.
http://madmondayshow.com/tag/hisham-kerbatieh/

On this viewing WA might have a very useful ruck option...for next year. 202cm Jeremy Goddard easily won the hitouts. Has another year to work on directing those taps to advantage because the Metro mids still won the centre breaks. But he looks like one to watch.

On paper looks perfect for us 202cm 95kg. Playing for Colts averaging 27 hit outs a game. :thumbsu:

Great post by the way P-Nasty.

McIntosh Enright and Kelly definitely retire. SJ and Rivers not sure if their bodies can go another year, both are playing well though. Bartel goes on as will Stokes.

It's quite early to call but if I had to call it now I'd say Simpson and Cowan's bodies won't hold up. I have the same view on McCarthy but he is contracted for 2016 so he will stay. I doubt Menzel will make it back either.

I think if both Clark and Stanley stay fit all year it is certain either (Walker or Kersten will seek a trade themselves (I am not happy both are OOC because it means we won't get fair compensation for them)

Smedts and Blease would both be on shaky ground.

Horlin Smith is a good serviceable player in a weak midfield, I don't think the club would want to lose him unless he seeks a trade himself.

While I would have liked pick 21 with Blakely today also showed me how terrible our rucks are, if Stanley can become a good ruckman it won't be a bad trade.

We could turn over a lot of players this year so I expect big involvement in the draft.
What would you say now PO, we're at the Bye + a lot has happened. I'm interested to hear your thoughts at this stage, please?

What would you say now PO, we're at the Bye + a lot has happened. I'm interested to hear your thoughts at this stage, please?

Hard for me to judge as I am unsure which free agents we will get (except that we will be active) and some of the players we need to make calls on have been injured.

My only certainties as of now would be McIntosh and Cowan whose both bodies are done, and Enright as while he is playing well I dont think he will go around again if we are not top 4 contending.

The future of the 30 + players is directly tied to our FA raids, Scott is on record that he will keep investing in Lang, Bews, Thurlow Gregson etc and not drop them, so if Danger and Scooter and Hendo come in it will be older guys spots they take, forcing retirements. E.g Henderson would put pressure on Mackie or Rivers, Danger and Scooter would pressure Kelly and Stokes spots. Also if we bring in several FA's we may need to clear cap (particularly to front end Danger) and then retiring over 30s who are marginal calls and replacing them with drafted players is the best way to clear the space.

If I had to guess I say Rivers retires only because I cant see why we would be chasing Hendo unless we think Rivers knee wont go another year as his form is outstanding. I reckon Kelly will retire, Stokes and Mackie maybe get another year, Bartel definitely if he comes back from injury ok, and Johnson one more year as a permanent forward if his body can handle it.

6 weeks ago I would have said Simpson was definitely done and I still think he will be but Stanley's injury gives him a small window of opportunity.

If Menzel and Vardy have any more injuries they will go too and as both are due back in the next 6 weeks its a case of see how they go.

Blease I am not sure on, I was never a fan of getting him to begin with but his vfl form has been very good, on the other hand if they wont play him with the injury list this long maybe they have already decided not to keep him? Smedts is also under pressure and has been injured.

The only silver lining of Stanley's injury is Walker and Kersten will get more games and this may make it easier to keep them, I still think one will request a trade.

If I had to guess I say Hartman, McIntosh, Kelly, Rivers, Cowan Simpson and Blease go, along with whichever of Walker and Kersten requests a trade. Johnson Bartel Stokes and Mackie get 1 year deals Menzel and Vardy stay unless further injuries, otherwise one goes to the rookie list if they do. Smedts gets another year but is under pressure.

We bring in Dangerfield, Scooter, Henderson (hopefully we can land all three) and trade Walker/Kersten or a mid range draft pick for a depth ruck. Retain Luxford, Delaney and Bates as rookies, take 4 picks or 3 and elevate Luxford.

A few Vc players this year will be taken early.. that Shacky kid sure is nice set shot.. Brisbane bound I guess.
Some sat Shack..some say Shacky... but he is ripper prospect Id say.
Can see why people like Weitering..
He is a bigger , right footed HarryT
Francis , Schache both look guns. Parish.class. Matherson..Inside Ball Bomb and Tucker bit of both. Partington looks a bit under rated Id say, like his heads up in traffic play

Thing is it looks like our first pick will be late..so trying to look at the kids who will go 30+

How late will Curnow be taken. Not having seen him , hard to judge.

Maybe someone from the second div sides... like Hibbard. Good luck guessing our first pick this year if its 40+

Yeah if you believe the articles it is looking more likely we wont have a first rounder. It's also hard to pick as the trades will affect our drafting, for example right now I think most of us would agree our first rounder has to either be a quality inside mid or a key defender, but if hypothetically we get Danger and Scooter for the midfield, Henderson for the defence and keep Kolo, but lose Motlop (with Varcoe going the year before) then the priority changes to looking for a quick outside midfielder/half forward.

Yeah if you believe the articles it is looking more likely we wont have a first rounder. It's also hard to pick as the trades will affect our drafting, for example right now I think most of us would agree our first rounder has to either be a quality inside mid or a key defender, but if hypothetically we get Danger and Scooter for the midfield, Henderson for the defence and keep Kolo, but lose Motlop (with Varcoe going the year before) then the priority changes to looking for a quick outside midfielder/half forward.

Your correct of course..its early days. The ins and outs will affect what look at. I wonder what Henderson is worth? I'm watching him play mainly forward , proficient rather than exciting. Will he better elsewhere. In truth I see a player that is worth more a late R1 , more than a single figure pick.
Would Carlton stipulate R1 pick which may allow us to trade down to another R1 but pick up an outsider? All speculation.
But going to draft under you hypothesis..
Parish would be ideal.. but probably gone. Ah Chee...looked interesting at KP the other day..I can see elements of several players.

Couple of names from todays games that made me note...hey they are not half bad if they are there at pick 40+(who knows what pick we will have but just a guess)
In the NT V Tas game.

Didn't see a lot of it but I did see another Rioli step up and do something draft worthy. What is it with that name. 179 and from StMarys , the kid has a bit of leap on him so... does he get drafted on name ...I wonder?
For Tas.. the kid Lovell is just a stat accumulator , another lazy 35 or so... but he kick 3 goals as well... and what I really liked was when the game had to be won , he was key to the result. Not the smooth , usual looking footballer of this era.. more and 80's or 90's player and is a footballer before all else.

In the SA V VicM

For Sa
like the kid Tahana... doesn't look like a big chunky inside mid like a Gore or Caddy , but he tackles hard. Height is always a bit deceptive at this level , listed as a 183 but looked taller. And like Gore ..for an inside contested ball winner, he is good with ball in hand on the outside.
Also Milera , nice running backline player , very steady with ball in hand.
For VicM
Karbatieh... small FP player..that just manages to find a way. Hard to ignore cause he seems to do it in every game I have seen. Real goal nous..in that even under pressure , or of balance , he addressed his kick and got the goal.
Morgan another who showed some backline rebound
Balic was impressive..Another basketball type that might become a mid in football. Played a lot forward but if his gut running at the combine is up to snuff , id say he easily a R2 pick. Typical of his background , looked good in traffic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back