2015 Potential Draftee and Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, as someone who's son has a hyphenated surname...

It simply came about due to his mum and I not being married.

But two people with hyphenated names having a kid could be funny.

No offence meant but just where does it stop , how many generations would or could it carry thru? Also , the origins of Surnames getting mixed up with each other , might be a bit quirky. Eg. Not ideal for Boggs and Brown .. Handcock and Blewitt ... Summer and Winterbottom ......
In footy , I'm not sure how many we have had at Geelong. Seems to a popular trend , more and more coming thru.

No offence meant but just where does it stop , how many generations would or could it carry thru? Also , the origins of Surnames getting mixed up with each other , might be a bit quirky. Eg. Not ideal for Boggs and Brown .. Handcock and Blewitt ... Summer and Winterbottom ......
In footy , I'm not sure how many we have had at Geelong. Seems to a popular trend , more and more coming thru.
I could espouse a theory on why hyphenated surnames are on the increase but this isn't really the thread for it. :D

I could espouse a theory on why hyphenated surnames are on the increase but this isn't really the thread for it. :D

Yes Piv , being a bit naughty.

So back on track... have you seen anything from the recent games to help you identify who you would like us to draft.. Not so much in single figures..if we have a pick that early , more in the 30's, 40's. Rainbird for instance?

I'd welcome an Ablett-Scarlett or a Bartel-Enright into our club :)

Well there nearly could have been a Scarlett Nankervis but not to be. Can you imagine a couple of prestige surname like that as Father Sons options.. my heavens. Any way back on the kids , probably diverted this thread enough

Yes Piv , being a bit naughty.

So back on track... have you seen anything from the recent games to help you identify who you would like us to draft.. Not so much in single figures..if we have a pick that early , more in the 30's, 40's. Rainbird for instance?
I still have a couple of games to watch but most of the guys I like I wouldn't expect to be floating around in the 30 or 40s.

I'm hoping that the Academies will possibly pad out the first round a bit and push some players down the pecking order. Then there are also guys like Burton, Curnow, Skinner & Weideman who didn't play (as far as I know) throughout the Championships.

And you also have a number of Father-Son options, Silvangi being one that made an impression when I saw him.

Dunkley is the other big F/S name who'll make life interesting if he nominates Sydney since most expect a bid for Mills to come along in the first round. If nothing else we'll get to see how the new bidding system plays out.

I may be very wrong but I'm sure I read somewhere that Dunkley was yet to decide on whether he wanted to nominate Sydney which might possibly add another name to the first round.

Pretty rare for Father-Sons to not take the offer but we have seen Murphy turn his back on Brisbane because he wanted to remain in Victoria while we couldn't get Cousins to shift over from Perth when he was a kid so you never know.

I think the word is for Dunkley that, like Murphy, he'd like to stay in Victoria and that his Dad isn't on great terms with the club (or something similar). But who knows?

I still have a couple of games to watch but most of the guys I like I wouldn't expect to be floating around in the 30 or 40s.

I'm hoping that the Academies will possibly pad out the first round a bit and push some players down the pecking order. Then there are also guys like Burton, Curnow, Skinner & Weideman who didn't play (as far as I know) throughout the Championships.

And you also have a number of Father-Son options, Silvangi being one that made an impression when I saw him.

Dunkley is the other big F/S name who'll make life interesting if he nominates Sydney since most expect a bid for Mills to come along in the first round. If nothing else we'll get to see how the new bidding system plays out.

I may be very wrong but I'm sure I read somewhere that Dunkley was yet to decide on whether he wanted to nominate Sydney which might possibly add another name to the first round.

Pretty rare for Father-Sons to not take the offer but we have seen Murphy turn his back on Brisbane because he wanted to remain in Victoria while we couldn't get Cousins to shift over from Perth when he was a kid so you never know.

If we trade off our R1 pick , finding a kid in that area will be a test.

If we trade off our R1 pick , finding a kid in that area will be a test.
Maybe, maybe not. Us armchair "experts" don't see much of these kids when you compare it to the recruiters. Even watching the SA V Victoria Metro game this evening there were a few kids that popped up that I didn't notice previously that might very well be around in that range.

Ideally I'd prefer we keep our first rounder though. I'd use it in the event of Dangerfield wanting out and wanting us and Adelaide match our offer or if a top line under 23 inside midfielder or key defender is looking to leave somewhere like Gold Coast or GWS.

I don't want to use it on a guy like Henderson.

Anyway...

Victoria Metro 10.6 (66) defeated South Australia 8.13 (61)

South Australia really shot themselves in the foot in the first half, particularly the first quarter when they dominated Metro but credit Metro's second half fightback.

As an aside, look out for Ladhams up against Goddard in the ruck when SA play WA next year, should be good viewing.

Victoria Metro

I really like the look of Harley Balic. A classy looking player who helped spark Metro's second half. Balic uses the ball well and, as I might have mentioned in previous write-ups, seems to have time when he has the ball in hand. He was often setting teammates away and didn't seem to waste too many of his 22 disposals.

The other mid who I think has played well in the 3 games I've watched is Jade Gresham. Had the same amount of disposals as Balic and his goal in the 3rd quarter showed some footy smarts when he pounced on a loose ball, slid under the tackler and then slotted the goal. Again, height might count against him but in recent times we're seeing more and more "shorter" kids getting picked up and holding their own when they get their chance. Clever player with a bit of toe and uses the ball well.

Crocker and Moore were useful targets up forward and these are the types who'll be around later in the draft. They have their shortcomings but I like the fact they can both take a mark and really leap at the ball. Their jumping ability sees them both play taller than their listed heights and Crocker, by all accounts, has played in the midfield which means you'll have a possible mid who can mark.

Ryan Clarke once again found plenty of ball and split his possessions pretty much 50/50 contested and uncontested. Quite unobtrusive which might see him slip come draft time but he looks a good player who runs all game and clearly knows how to find the ball.

One player who turned in a tidy game was Alex Morgan in defence. Operated in this game at high efficiency and rebounded well so might be one to Black Book and try and keep tabs on back at Oakleigh.

Kerbatieh again got noticed with his 3 goals and has some tricks but there was one piece of play when he burnt a teammate which wasn't great. He kicked the goal but he really should have passed it off.

Harry Thompson again did a good job in one key defensive position and Batty, while not getting heaps of the footy, does seem to be a neat player who uses the ball well.

South Australia

There were a few things that Wayne Milera did during this match that looked really good. He has quick hands and is prepared to take players on. Very much outside on this viewing and in this match he basically had a 2:1 ratio of handballs to kicks. His handball was sometimes too quick for a teammate as Milera tried to release between opposition players. He uses the handball to attack which is good but it doesn't always come off, in this game at least. He also dropped a sitter in defence which he'd want to eliminate but there is a lot to work with based on this game.

The ruckman Parella gave the SA midfield first use and he and Ladhams were a good tandem. Parella doesn't get much of the ball though which is probably going to hurt his draft chances. Whether he improves his work around the ground as he matures is open to conjecture but his ruck-work was good I thought.

I'd almost be inclined to draft both Bonner and Tahana as they work really well together. They were often looking for each other which, considering they play for different clubs in SA, is interesting. They are both good players, Tahana doesn't look like a classic inside mid but he didn't do too bad a job around the stoppages having 3 clearances. Half of Tahana's 15 touches were contested and he doesn't really waste the ball.

Bonner's kicking is A grade off the left and only slightly worse on his non-preferred foot. He was playing off half back but he can play back, forward or midfield. He is this year's Wigg for me. I'd look to draft him solely on his kicking ability. Get the ball in Bonner's hands and make room for him and he'll be a weapon I think.

Luke Partington once again led SA's midfield. I thought his game against Metro wasn't that great but he has that good inside trait of getting hands on the ball. Jarrod Brind had a good game to go with his opening match against WA while I thought Jack Agostino played well as a mid-sized, rebounding defender.

Snelling, Olekalns and Coombe were all handy, Snelling, in particular, is a guy I think could be good value in the middle of the draft.

Last edited:
Maybe, maybe not. Us armchair "experts" don't see much of these kids when you compare it to the recruiters. Even watching the SA V Victoria Metro game this evening there were a few kids that popped up that I didn't notice previously that might very well be around in that range.

Ideally I'd prefer we keep our first rounder though. I'd use it in the event of Dangerfield wanting out and wanting us and Adelaide match our offer or if a top line under 23 inside midfielder or key defender is looking to leave somewhere like Gold Coast or GWS.

I don't want to use it on a guy like Henderson.

While the average knowledge on forums like this far exceeds most football watchers/punters , you are 100% correct that we are mere mugs compared to the scope of the real pros. They build list from years earlier than the immediate draft pool and would have good idea how this year stacks up to next ,
have a good idea who under performs and over perform compared to previous efforts in the champs games and who might be a good pick in the 30s and 40s

Nice write up, well done piv

Queensland 8.12 (60) defeated NSW 2.10 (22)

So, this is another one that is really hard to get any sort of baseline one. The vast majority of the players involved in this match are all tied to one of the Northern Academies so I tended to watch it more to see the development of the kids coming out of the Northern states rather than hoping to identify a potential "bargain" selection.

I know it is only one game so it is impossible to make any sort of judgement call but, stuff it, I will anyway...this game demonstrated exactly why I feel the bleating and moaning that has taken place in the "traditional" football states is unwarranted right at the moment when it comes to the spectre of the Northern Academies.

They still have a way to go before some sort of production line spewing out multiple first round picks comes along.

NSW were ordinary and made QLD look better than they realistically are. Both sides would, based on this game, be smacked around by one of the Division 1 sides.

Yes, there are a handful of good players being developed in the Academies but even that small number isn't anything overly special, at least going on this one off game.

In time they'll probably start generating bigger numbers but right now guys like Heeney look more like the exception rather than the rule.

Queensland

Ben Keays is the standout for the banana-benders...but we already knew about him from last year. He won the Harrison Medal for the best player in Division 2 and had 26 disposals in this match. The thing to take into account here is he operated at 69% efficiency which can be viewed 2 ways. The first is he might simply have had an 'off' day and if his efficiency gets into the mid 70s and higher he could very well become a damaging player for the Lions (who I expect will get him under the bidding system). The other way to view him is, coming from a non-traditional background, that might very well have been an indication as to where he is right now and there is still a bit of work to be done before he is the finished product. I liked what he did (much like the game I saw him in last year) but he still needs a bit more polish.

Eric Hipwood also looked useful with his marking appearing to be his greatest strength as evidenced by his grab in the third in front of a pack. He had a earlier game where he kicked 4 in a quarter and looks like he can play forward and back.

Another player who caught the eye was Corey Wagner with some well weighted kicks and hit ups. His 21 touches were value and he looks like a kid who can be molded into a very useful midfield type.

Allison and Scheer were 2 others who did some nice things but Scheer has another year in the system as he is underaged.

NSW

For the most part they were poor but they were missing Mills and Kennedy who probably would have helped them. Jacob Hopper is a an inside beast and had a team high 6 clearances. He is tied to GWS and it is hard to see him not ending up with them. The question is, was this game indicative of the way he usually plays or was it something of an off day. He stood out in this NSW side but that doesn't mean I thought he was amazing, rather it is a reflection on his teammates. He didn't really have much "hurt" to his touches so it'll be interesting to see what happens with him on draft night because I wasn't overly impressed with him based on the hype that has been attached to him.

Harrison Himmelberg looks like he knows how to take a mark and knows where to lead to but his kicking is seriously a 50/50 proposition (actually, based on this game it isn't even that since he kicked 4 behinds and no goals). Definately a player with some ability but there is still a way to go in his development.

Hebron, McFadden and Mutch were 3 others that had their moments but overall it wasn't a great game by the NSW boys.

This is excellent work Pivo. My question - I reckon one of the things we desperately need is a mid-sized forward. By the looks of it they're pushing Menzel into the midfield and Kersten is not super convincing. Has anyone caught your eye?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Define Jes... do you want to use our R1 on that type or a bargain pick?
Think if we keep our first rounder (and I think we should) it has to go to either a player we're confident will turn into an elite midfielder in 3-4 years or a key defender...and by key defender I mean Collins. This would have to be lower down the order, but I suspect those kind of players are undervalued and so are available there anyway.

Think if we keep our first rounder (and I think we should) it has to go to either a player we're confident will turn into an elite midfielder in 3-4 years or a key defender...and by key defender I mean Collins. This would have to be lower down the order, but I suspect those kind of players are undervalued and so are available there anyway.

Tough to answer then , perhaps piv saw someone. Its such a different game in the afl to juniors now , one almost has to have mid capable of playing forward when you are that size. The two names that are that type are Curnow and Burton but how good are they, early picks on their rep. I think it was Moore who looked dangerous but had an appalling ball drop. Perhaps Bonner, who played back and played forward in some games. Bit like Murdoch in a way but can kick with both sides.. The name Hewett is knocking around in my brain as well. The kid Himmelberg look a real wild card, he has something but he is a GWS kid

Be interested to see what Piv says.

The one id like to see more of is Dunkley. He is 189 , an inside ball machine and is a strong overhead mark. Might not be the 3rd tall your after but he does sound like a Wells pick , where he is playing short of a pre known standard.

Last edited:
This is excellent work Pivo. My question - I reckon one of the things we desperately need is a mid-sized forward. By the looks of it they're pushing Menzel into the midfield and Kersten is not super convincing. Has anyone caught your eye?
Hard to say based on the limited games I've seen (I'm yet to watch the Country V WA match yet) but the one forward I didn't mind, for later in the draft, is Callum Moore from Metro.

However, at 193cm he isn't really mid-sized and as Turbocat mentioned, his kicking isn't the greatest.

Nick Dodge from Tassie had his moments and he is probably more the type you have in mind. Again, I've only seen him once though.

Milera from SA probably also fits the bill but he is already playing in the midfield, while Redman (SA) and Crocker (VM) were 2 others who had moments.

However, I reckon, based on this write up, this might be your man.

187cm | 84kg | North Adelaide.
Creative forward who booted 54 goals in the SANFL under-18s last year and 57 in just eight games as a 16-year-old the previous season with the Roosters. Seen by some recruiters as the best kick in this year’s draft.

His name is Keiran Agius. He didn't play in the televised games (not sure if he played any Champs games at all tbh so he might currently be injured or recovering from an injury) but he sounds like the type you are thinking of.

Last year he won a nomination for the SANFL U/18 player of the round with 27 disposal, 17 mark, 6 inside 50s, 9 goal game for the Roosters. Even based solely on raw stats that is a good bloody game.

Several informed posters on here , one which I like to read is Skippos , has good multi level assessment especially on the SA kids... (below)

Reads a dice roll. Huge talent that fails to commit would be a huge list clogger, yet in a shallow draft year , this kid read like he should be an early pick
I haven't seen him so I have no idea... having Garlett mentioned in any description doesn't increase my enthusiasm

Keiran Agius - SA (189 cm, 84 kg utility)

Style: Unique. Alex Fasolo with tremendous speed perhaps?

The only way to describe Keiran Agius is 'frustrating'. He has got all the talent in the world but is letting himself down. A member of the AIS-AFL academy, he has gone from playing on the MCG against VFL sides, to missing out on a South Australian side that could only win two games and were crying out for targets inside 50. It all comes down to work rate - he just does not defend. He floats around chasing kicks and giving up the moment the opposition get the ball. His GPS numbers would be half of the other players on the ground. But he is where he is based on incredible natural talent. Some believe him to be the best kick in the draft - he is just so composed and penetrating. Not only that, but he has got incredible goal sense - being able to slot them from anywhere and just putting himself in the most dangerous spots constantly. He is very quick and incredibly agile as well as clean at ground level - but at times tries to be too flashy and loses the ball doing something unnecessary. He has been tried in defence to capitalise on his excellent footskills and run but hasn't impressed as hoped, and off a wing he struggles to impact partially based on work rate. At the moment his best position is as a forward, which is complicated given he is too short to be a side's primary target and doesn't pressure like you want your smalls to do. He also thrives off being that primary target, preferring to lead at the ball and play through the middle, something he likely won't do at AFL level. Will a club punt on him based on his incredible talent and upside and hope to train the flaws out of him? I hope so. But those flaws are clear, and very detrimental, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him passed over and asked to fix them in the state leagues - which would be the biggest waste of talent since Dayle Garlett.

Last edited:
To be fair, the comment is "biggest waste of talent since Dayle Garlett" which doesn't necessarily mean he has Garlett-like off-field baggage. If it is all between his ears, and in a draft that looks to get light on reasonably early, you'd think some club will take a chance on him based on his (alleged) talent alone.

Several informed posters on her , one which I like to read is Skippos , has good multi level assessment especially on the SA kids... (below)

Reads a dice roll. Huge talent that fails to commit would be a huge list clogger, yet in a shallow draft year , this kid read like he should be an early pick
I haven't seen him so I have no idea... having Garlett mentioned in any description doesn't increase my enthusiasm

Brad Hartman comes to mind - a little bit in style but also in flight risk. I didn't think Hartman was a massive flight risk given his background and do think had things gone another way he'd still be in the comp, but Agius perhaps similar in that regard. He's the kind of player that might just give up if it's clear it won't go his own way. He's arrogant enough to believe he's too good and sulks when it doesn't go his way. I suspect he's the kind of player that, if dropped, performs like s**t because he's too busy absorbed in his own tears as opposed to pushing hard to get back in. Harsh, but I've seen enough of him to be supremely confident that he's too much of a flog to play AFL footy. I spotted Agius as an under 16 and was thoroughly impressed - quicker, smarter and a better kick than anyone on the ground. Kicked bags. Took a real liking. But since then I've seen no improvement; he expects things to fall into place and as a result I have no choice but to write him off - as when he decides to put the work in it'll too late and he won't have the resources and network around him like he does now. Clubs are increasingly hesitant to pick up players who don't really work for the opportunity and I do think there's a real chance he doesn't get drafted. I'd say it's odds on, at the moment.

To be fair, the comment is "biggest waste of talent since Dayle Garlett" which doesn't necessarily mean he has Garlett-like off-field baggage. If it is all between his ears, and in a draft that looks to get light on reasonably early, you'd think some club will take a chance on him based on his (alleged) talent alone.

Yes. To my knowledge he doesn't have the off field issues of a Garlett. I think he's a little but of a 'fully sick' type kid who rates himself and thinks he's the bees knees just from a few observations of how he relates with teammates but I haven't heard of any drug issues and if they exist, normally I would have by now.

Also, the problem with Agius is that he's not a third tall. He is 'the guy' - if you're looking for someone to play that third role, Agius won't conform to structures. He's been played out of defence and on a wing this year as he has the talent - but also, his style while forward just isn't conducive to AFL football. He leads out of the square. Demands the ball. Chases like a 200 cm ruck. He's an undersized and athletic full forward, essentially.

Also, the problem with Agius is that he's not a third tall. He is 'the guy' - if you're looking for someone to play that third role, Agius won't conform to structures. He's been played out of defence and on a wing this year as he has the talent - but also, his style while forward just isn't conducive to AFL football. He leads out of the square. Demands the ball. Chases like a 200 cm ruck. He's an undersized and athletic full forward, essentially.
He sounds alot like Shane Kersten to me.

yes... .. the desperation of need and the drive to succeed can circumvent the performance of deed and the inability to heed.

Not saying this kid even has issues , I don't know him as a player ..time will tell how much a club rates him , but work rate is not something that clubs under value.

I think the word is for Dunkley that, like Murphy, he'd like to stay in Victoria and that his Dad isn't on great terms with the club (or something similar). But who knows?

Dunkley has been using Richmond's facilities for his injury rehab and I don't think he has any issue with the Swans but his interview a few weeks ago made me think he wants to stay in Vic so he may not nominate F/S and take his chances on a Vic team picking him up. He fits the Wells mould of competitive, mid sized height, good skills and decision making and multi positional, if we have a pick around where he goes.

I think you may want to hope we do some creative pick dealing because with all the players we are being linked to I doubt we will be keeping a 10-12 pick (unless we lose Motlop which I hope we don't). The best hope for us draft guys is that rather than trading pick 10-12 for Henderson we trade it for two later picks (say GC's end of first round compo plus their second rounder, or any other pick they have in that range if they get one for Dixon) and trade say 19 to the Blues and keep 22 for the draft, which would either get us a good midfielder (guys in that range I am thinking of are OKearney, Tucker, maybe Keays if Bris dont nominate him which I think they will) or Collins.

He sounds alot like Shane Kersten to me.
Based on the descritpion Skippos gave, the first guy I actually thought of was Tim Membrey.

I seem to recall Membrey came into calculations in his draft year as an undersized "key" forward at Gippsland. Strong on the lead and a good kick.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back