2015 Potential Draftee and Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

goodoldcats

Club Legend
Suspended
Jul 7, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Also, the problem with Agius is that he's not a third tall. He is 'the guy' - if you're looking for someone to play that third role, Agius won't conform to structures. He's been played out of defence and on a wing this year as he has the talent - but also, his style while forward just isn't conducive to AFL football. He leads out of the square. Demands the ball. Chases like a 200 cm ruck. He's an undersized and athletic full forward, essentially.

Agius has all the talent in the world, will be a very difficult matchup if he develops which is what is needed against the best teams. He will demand a good defender at the minimum as he is capable of kicking bags. He is a completely different player to Kerstan and I think he is well worth a third round pick onwards.

I would hate to draft Collins. Do not rate. Skinner with a latish pick or target some younger fringe players from other clubs such as Talia from the bulldogs.

Its a hard draft as I think the main drop off of talent is around pick 7/8

Victoria Country 8.15 (63) defeated Western Australia 4.7 (31)

Quite the anti-climax this one. Country won the game in the first quarter and then the game was treading water. WA tried hard but were simply outclassed but they are going to be tough next year with a number of really good underaged players.

That said, Country had a couple of useful ones too in Ben Ainsworth (who kicked 5 goals) and Jarrod Berry (who won All Australian honours)

Vic. Country

The side is chock full of talent and I'd expect, based on the games I've watched, that Country will make up a decent chunk of the first round later this year.

Darcy Parish is A grade, simple as that. Can go and get the contested ball and can also provide some run on the outside. Uses the ball well and isn't too concerned about using his non-dominant side. Knocked up getting the ball and usually does something good when he gets it. I'm hoping we're in with a chance to snare him but it is hard to see him lasting very long.

As such, we might as well look at his team-mate Rhys Mathieson. He isn't a classy as Parish but in many ways he is actually a better fit for us in that he is a pure inside mid who clearly thrives on contests (and wins his fair share of those). He was quieter in this match but I've seen enough to know he is a gun, especially in regards to his stock in trade. Inside midfielder, basically ready to go and is local...what isn't to like about that?

This was the first time I've seen this kid (at least as I recall) but I really liked Josh Dunkley's game, especially coming off a lay-off due to injury. I know he can declare for the Swans but I'm kind of hoping he decides to take his chances in the draft. 17 touches, 8 of them contested and he is a perfect size at 189cm. Sanderson made a real point about his character and leadership as well.

A more unheralded name is Nash Holmes. He is a much like Ryan Clarke from Metro in that he flies under the radar a bit. He doesn't do anything spectacularly well but he is very solid and looks like he contributes all game. Watching him he looks more inside so I was surprised to see his stats showed the bulk of his disposals were uncontested. Has a willingness to tackle and could be someone to consider mid-to-late in the draft.

I could watch Darcy Tucker run around a footy ground every week. Always looks good with the ball in hand and operates at a fairly high efficiency. His Championships weren't as good as last year when he won All Australian selection but Tucker is top drawer. I'd be stunned if he slipped too far on draft night. 21 touches and glides over the ground. Really, really like him but I'm not sure he is the right fit for us, which is a shame (for me at least).

When I watched the Champs last year I thought Maishman was more than useful so I was surprised that he went undrafted. He had a fitness test just before this match (so the commentators said) but that didn't stop him touching the footy 21 times. He does tend to miss the target every now and then and perhaps that was his issue last year (and might be again this year) but I think there is something to work with.

For a kid who didn't discover Aussie Rules until he was 15 Gach Nyuon was really impressive. Clearly the best ruckman on the ground and certainly seemed to know where to run to and displayed some smarts. Played forward late in the game and a club could do worse than take a punt on this guy.

Collins went off with a split chin but I can't say I noticed him much when he was out there. The fact he has rocketed in calculations might say as much about the depth of the key defensive types this year as his own improvement. Mutimer and Mennen weren't too bad while Rice will no doubt be heavily courted by both Carlton and St. Kilda.

Western Australia

Not a great year but they probably expected that themselves as evidenced by the number of underaged players they had running around. Still, there are some draftable kids.

He made an absolute howler when he kicked across goal and managed to miss his teammate allowing Ainsworth to kick an easy goal however I really liked Bailey Rogers game for the most part. He again played in defence but I'm sure he'd (and clubs) have designs on moving into the midfield. He needs to work on his skills but I like players who can find the ball and he has an offensive mentality. Making mistakes trying to attack is forgivable in my book (as long as it happens less and less with more experience). There is something there I reckon.

I thought Jesse Glass-McCasker was really good down back for WA. He seems to know when to defend his man and when to help out a teammate and he is reasonably athletic for his size (listed at 198cm). He'd be one to consider later in the draft.

Jack Watson, who is a teammate of Glass-McCasker at Swan Districts, also did some nice things down back and is another that probably has some development (and perhaps growth) in him.

Bloodnut Josh Schoenfeld made an impression on me in the games I watched. Maybe I'm a sucker for redheads but what I really loved about Schoenfeld was his relentless workrate between the arcs. He didn't get heaps of the ball but he seemed to "grow" into the games I saw. He has a bit of toe as well and generally uses the ball well. I think he has been quite consistent in the matches I've seen him in.

Harrold went on some good runs from defence and is another who has some quickness about him. Clark had his moments (his off the ball work in the second quarter which helped Waterman kick a goal was good to see) and his size and endurance is likely to see him considered while Ah Chee showed his class kicking a goal from the "dead" pocket at Simonds.

And like that, all done for another year. Well done to Country who were a super side. Be fun to see where some of these guys go in the draft now.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Really like the way you assess them Piv (maybe cause I agree with you) but you highlight and expand on players much better than I
Darcy Parish is A grade, simple as that. Can go and get the contested ball and can also provide some run on the outside. Uses the ball well and isn't too concerned about using his non-dominant side. Knocked up getting the ball and usually does something good when he gets it. I'm hoping we're in with a chance to snare him but it is hard to see him lasting very long.

> I agree but considering what we are into (according to media) he will be gone

As such, we might as well look at his team-mate Rhys Mathieson. He isn't a classy as Parish but in many ways he is actually a better fit for us in that he is a pure inside mid who clearly thrives on contests (and wins his fair share of those). He was quieter in this match but I've seen enough to know he is a gun, especially in regards to his stock in trade. Inside midfielder, basically ready to go and is local...what isn't to like about that?

>Really suits our needs and I suspect will look better in the AFL style game , where as Parish may have to work a bit to get used to the congested contests

This was the first time I've seen this kid (at least as I recall) but I really liked Josh Dunkley's game, especially coming off a lay-off due to injury. I know he can declare for the Swans but I'm kind of hoping he decides to take his chances in the draft. 17 touches, 8 of them contested and he is a perfect size at 189cm. Sanderson made a real point about his character and leadership as well.

> Interesting comments... I really was not impressed with what I saw... but bow to your judgement. Considering needs , he reads like Wells pick in bright Neon. 189, arguably the best inside kid in the draft. The leadership thing is a bonus that we may be looking for considering Bomber media comments. Think the Swans will pass , Mills is a lot of player to find picks for.

A more unheralded name is Nash Holmes. He is a much like Ryan Clarke from Metro in that he flies under the radar a bit. He doesn't do anything spectacularly well but he is very solid and looks like he contributes all game. Watching him he looks more inside so I was surprised to see his stats showed the bulk of his disposals were uncontested. Has a willingness to tackle and could be someone to consider mid-to-late in the draft.

I could watch Darcy Tucker run around a footy ground every week. Always looks good with the ball in hand and operates at a fairly high efficiency. His Championships weren't as good as last year when he won All Australian selection but Tucker is top drawer. I'd be stunned if he slipped too far on draft night. 21 touches and glides over the ground. Really, really like him but I'm not sure he is the right fit for us, which is a shame (for me at least).

> Good overall player..will play a lot of games one would think

When I watched the Champs last year I thought Maishman was more than useful so I was surprised that he went undrafted. He had a fitness test just before this match (so the commentators said) but that didn't stop him touching the footy 21 times. He does tend to miss the target every now and then and perhaps that was his issue last year (and might be again this year) but I think there is something to work with.

For a kid who didn't discover Aussie Rules until he was 15 Gach Nyuon was really impressive. Clearly the best ruckman on the ground and certainly seemed to know where to run to and displayed some smarts. Played forward late in the game and a club could do worse than take a punt on this guy.

>Yes considering all that , impressive but with Lucey and Read maybe not right for us

Collins went off with a split chin but I can't say I noticed him much when he was out there. The fact he has rocketed in calculations might say as much about the depth of the key defensive types this year as his own improvement. Mutimer and Mennen weren't too bad while Rice will no doubt be heavily courted by both Carlton and St. Kilda.

> Like to see Collins play some VFL against bigger bodies..lets see if he can push a Walker off the ball.

Western Australia

Not a great year but they probably expected that themselves as evidenced by the number of underaged players they had running around. Still, there are some draftable kids.

He made an absolute howler when he kicked across goal and managed to miss his teammate allowing Ainsworth to kick an easy goal however I really liked Bailey Rogers game for the most part. He again played in defence but I'm sure he'd (and clubs) have designs on moving into the midfield. He needs to work on his skills but I like players who can find the ball and he has an offensive mentality. Making mistakes trying to attack is forgivable in my book (as long as it happens less and less with more experience). There is something there I reckon.

I thought Jesse Glass-McCasker was really good down back for WA. He seems to know when to defend his man and when to help out a teammate and he is reasonably athletic for his size (listed at 198cm). He'd be one to consider later in the draft.

> Underrated ... how did he go V Schache? Nice size and thought he was OK considering WA was not a strong side

Jack Watson, who is a teammate of Glass-McCasker at Swan Districts, also did some nice things down back and is another that probably has some development (and perhaps growth) in him.

Bloodnut Josh Schoenfeld made an impression on me in the games I watched. Maybe I'm a sucker for redheads but what I really loved about Schoenfeld was his relentless workrate between the arcs. He didn't get heaps of the ball but he seemed to "grow" into the games I saw. He has a bit of toe as well and generally uses the ball well. I think he has been quite consistent in the matches I've seen him in.

Harrold went on some good runs from defence and is another who has some quickness about him. Clark had his moments (his off the ball work in the second quarter which helped Waterman kick a goal was good to see) and his size and endurance is likely to see him considered while Ah Chee showed his class kicking a goal from the "dead" pocket at Simonds.

> Ah Chee .. I could see him being a great late pick for te Hawks the people saying how did he last till them. Yet at a weaker team... If we lose Motlop , if consider.

And like that, all done for another year. Well done to Country who were a super side. Be fun to see where some of these guys go in the draft now.

Turbocat, I think Glass-McCasker did a good job on Schache but he was certainly helped by the poor delivery into the forward line at times.

I reckon he is certainly worth a look based on the small number of games I've seen.

As for Dunkley, it is all perception really. For people like you and me it is simply seeing things we might like in players and if that outweighs the bad things then that is often enough.

A few posters like Collins but I wasn't particularly enamoured with what I saw but that's the on-going issue - we simply don't see a big enough body of work for these guys.

goodoldcats

Club Legend
Suspended
Jul 7, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Do we really need an inside mid?

GHS, Caddy, Selwood, Blicavs, guthrie, Gore, Jensen can all play as inside mids.

I think we lack any real accumulators that can rack up the touches and balanced mids that play both inside and out. Look at Fremantle midfield and all there midfielders are balanced and can play inside or out

I hope we take best available

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong

GHS, Caddy, Selwood, Blicavs, guthrie, Gore, Jensen can all play as inside mids.

I think we lack any real accumulators that can rack up the touches and balanced mids that play both inside and out. Look at Fremantle midfield and all there midfielders are balanced and can play inside or out

Thats a very fair comment.... but as someone who traditionally loved the outside skilful player , I have to acknowledge that the game now is played in phone box. Even the outside players , need to be able to get it inside...like Parish.
And now Inside players must be able to run , not just plod.

But in the end its a bit like hot dinners... you almost can not have too many. You bring in 12 and the best 8 standup.
The names you have mentioned at this point , one would have to say GHS , Gore and Jansen are far from known best 22 players. One hopes but until they are you keep adding ( Thats my opinion anyway) The quality of your midfield controls your destiny and. it can be judged by who is missing games.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Turbocat, I think Glass-McCasker did a good job on Schache but he was certainly helped by the poor delivery into the forward line at times.

I reckon he is certainly worth a look based on the small number of games I've seen.

As for Dunkley, it is all perception really. For people like you and me it is simply seeing things we might like in players and if that outweighs the bad things then that is often enough.

A few posters like Collins but I wasn't particularly enamoured with what I saw but that's the on-going issue - we simply don't see a big enough body of work for these guys.

Colins had one very good game. As I said , like to see him payer verses men. One look at he really is a tank like a Rutten.

Lana

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 23, 2010
AFL Club
GWS

Ideally you want all of your inside mids to be at least competent on the outside. And have your outside mids to be wiling to go in when it is there turn even if they aren't the biggest contested ball winners. But most of the accomplished Inside/out mids get gobbled up early, the ones that stay around generally have a deficiency of some kind; decision making, a lack of pace, don't have a lot of penetration in their kicks etc. Questionable physical development. Sometimes all of the recruiters get it wrong and the weakness weren't so bad, or a players deficiency get coached out or they play a role that plays to their strengths and ignores there weaknesses. Which is when a team gets a steal.

IMO Caddy, Selwood and especially Guthrie wouldn't have too much of an issue playing as an outside mid (though Caddy would need to improve his decision making, there is nothing wrong with how he kicks it just who he decides to kicks to). From our golden years we didn't have too many inside mids that couldn't do an acceptable job on the outside.

If we still have a first round pick after trade week, we'll probable just go best available (ignoring KPFs). Unless we trade in a mature KPD, then we''ll have no need for another KPD for the foreseeable future.

manboob

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Feb 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
#rompingwins
Staggered with all the Brown love...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

manboob

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Feb 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
#rompingwins
And it will be ******* ridiculous if he goes in the regular draft.

Good ball users! This is what we should be targeting in the draft rather than worrying about any positional needs IMO. Lets get guys in that can use the ball well and make good decisions with it. Ball retention is becoming such an important part of the game now that you need elite kickers in your team or else you're going to be in a little bit of trouble.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Good ball users! This is what we should be targeting in the draft rather than worrying about any positional needs IMO. Lets get guys in that can use the ball well and make good decisions with it. Ball retention is becoming such an important part of the game now that you need elite kickers in your team or else you're going to be in a little bit of trouble.

Stan if you want another kid to put along side Thurlow , then Bonner might be your pick. Left footer if I remember correctly but was mentioned as someone who was unlike most lefties, can kick with the right. Nice size at 191

I do know what you mean , its getting more and more obvious that there is no spot that a bad kick can hide.

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I really think we need to get the best defender available in the draft with our first selection, whatever that may be. We have enough mids and forwards on the list. We need some succession to our aging defence and I don't think that Henderson is a solution. Maybe one of the McKay's may be a solution, they are tall enough to ruck as well (+200cm) - need to see some highlights first...

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Parella looks like a good tap ruckman from SA, not sure if he can kick though... Could be a Mark Blake mk II.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Parella looks like a good tap ruckman from SA, not sure if he can kick though... Could be a Mark Blake mk II.

Considering we have two very young rucks on our list , I doubt us going for another 18 year old. Something 22-25 and capable of playing some games if required.... so I doubt it will be done thru draft. Vardy probably has the rest of the year to indicate that can be him.

I really think we need to get the best defender available in the draft with our first selection, whatever that may be. We have enough mids and forwards on the list. We need some succession to our aging defence and I don't think that Henderson is a solution. Maybe one of the McKay's may be a solution, they are tall enough to ruck as well (+200cm) - need to see some highlights first...

Of the McKay I have seen play , he seems promising... can see him developing into a Stanley/Blitz type . His brother I have not seen.

But I cant agree we have enough mids , we need to keep adding mids , quality mids till we have no doubt that our new midfield has the foundation to build on. The difficulty atm is we don't really know what picks we will have... but Im confident we can find another tallish defender outside R1. Kolo was P41 so its not unheard of. Where will Sam Skinner go for instance?

goodoldcats

Club Legend
Suspended
Jul 7, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
I think our list at a point where we go best available first round pick. I don't think we need another inside mid if Selwood comes across from west coast, but if we did maybe Kennedy from the pies who is behind other midfielders so might be able to shake him for a cheapish price other than that I like the look of lovell as a late pick.

We have some midfielders rotating through the forward but I don't think we have a genuine forward pocket, so I like Rioli late as he has class. I wouldn't mind if we threw a 2nd round pick at talia from Western Bulldogs to develop as a Lonergan style pure shutdown defender. Also like Aguis as a player, just so much talent that he will require a good defender and the ability to impact the scoreboard bigtime.

Depends if Geelong see Thurlow as developing as a midfielder or bews as a tagger but I rate Tahana and his ability to lock down an opponent. Players will class seems to be they key with the current game. Hawthorn started to target endurance runners perhaps we should do the same.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I think our list at a point where we go best available first round pick. I don't think we need another inside mid if Selwood comes across from west coast, but if we did maybe Kennedy from the pies who is behind other midfielders so might be able to shake him for a cheapish price other than that I like the look of lovell as a late pick.

We have some midfielders rotating through the forward but I don't think we have a genuine forward pocket, so I like Rioli late as he has class. I wouldn't mind if we threw a 2nd round pick at talia from Western Bulldogs to develop as a Lonergan style pure shutdown defender. Also like Aguis as a player, just so much talent that he will require a good defender and the ability to impact the scoreboard bigtime.

Depends if Geelong see Thurlow as developing as a midfielder or bews as a tagger but I rate Tahana and his ability to lock down an opponent. Players will class seems to be they key with the current game. Hawthorn started to target endurance runners perhaps we should do the same.

Who knows what picks we will end up...like Tahana , like Rioli.... but its seems we are more interested in some "InSystem" players that can press for games in 2016.

Bailey Williams has 56 disposals in SA's U18 competition.

That is some serious leather poisoning.

However it would be interesting to see the game because the Bays were smashed by 91 points.

Williams did get an invite to a State Screening so he is on someone's radar.

After a game like that, a few more might have a look too.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back