2015 Potential Draftee and Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Nash Holmes looked ok in one game at KP if we are looking at a late mid. Tom Cole will be gone unless we miraculously trade back into the second round (even that may not be enough). And Turbocat 's fav in the big boy twin will surely be gone now too.
I thought Holmes was OK from what I saw. I think he is somewhere in that 30-50 range too.

Greg Clark the WA Skipper is also an funny one to try and place.

Great size for a mid, assume he has leadership qualities but didn't really seem to do much.

Might go to the trade board and see where people rate him.

I thought Holmes was OK from what I saw. I think he is somewhere in that 30-50 range too.

Great size for a mid, assume he has leadership qualities but didn't really seem to do much.

I'm going to be a bit more active now that I know where we are likely to start picking. Clark looked ok. Lacked hurt factor as you say. Assuming he interviews well ( which you'd think he would being the WA can't) I'd be surprised if he wasn't on our list.

Nash Holmes looked ok in one game at KP if we are looking at a late mid. Tom Cole will be gone unless we miraculously trade back into the second round (even that may not be enough). And Turbocat 's fav in the big boy twin will surely be gone now too.

Both of them will be gone now... Im not even sure what we would look at now..perhaps not even type specific..losing Jansen and Gore changes it a bit.

Both of the will be gone now... Im not even sure what we would look at now..perhaps not even type specific..losing Jansen and Gore changes it a bit.

No idea either. Still much to play out until thr end of the trade period. Who knows what picks we will have by then?

I'd say we'll maybe look at players that traditionally are found at the lower end of the draft - small forwards, small backs, flankers...I can't see us going for a rucks or taller types with the excretion perhaps of Sam Skinner. They may look at him now as that injured, talented type we can probably afford to use one of the many late picks we'll have on.

No idea either. Still much to play out until thr end of the trade period. Who knows what picks we will have by then?

I'd say we'll maybe look at players that traditionally are found at the lower end of the draft - small forwards, small backs, flankers...I can't see us going for a rucks or taller types with the excretion perhaps of Sam Skinner. They may look at him now as that injured, talented type we can probably afford to use one of the many late picks we'll have on.

Yes skinner is one I have high lighted as well... but my guess is once it gets to 30... it will be lucky dip to see if any names is there.

I thought Cole was good when he played for our vfl team, pity we won't have a pick high enough to get him now.

Clark is interesting, early in the year everyone had him first round and a lot had him pegged as the next Sheed but he seems to have become 'vanilla' and dropped in people's rankings.

Still reckon we'd need to trade up into the 30's but he is a similar player to Gore and I didn't think he'd get to 55 last year.

I actually quite like some of the academy guys as value if we have late picks, obviously Dunkley will be gone before we pick (if Sydney dont take him) Coughlan I rate as a late pick and I would also look at Himmelberg. Cornell is a decent player too.

I also quite like Daniel Capiron as an overager and I think looking at some of the 19yos like we did with Murdoch as a late pick is worthwhile given the lack of depth at the back end of the draft.

Would think SA's Matthew Nunn would be available at our first pick (46) - would love to see him on our list.

He was the Round 15 SANFL MVP:
"This week’s Macca’s Cup MVP nominee is Norwood’s Matthew Nunn. A member of this year’s McDonald’s SA U18 team, Nunn chalked up 46 disposals, 17 clearances and seven tackles against Sturt."

Highlights:

Would think SA's Matthew Nunn would be available at our first pick (46) - would love to see him on our list.

He was the Round 15 SANFL MVP:
"This week’s Macca’s Cup MVP nominee is Norwood’s Matthew Nunn. A member of this year’s McDonald’s SA U18 team, Nunn chalked up 46 disposals, 17 clearances and seven tackles against Sturt."

Highlights:

Very quick and agile, runs to the right places but his kicking is hit and miss. Has that ugly Smedts ball drop.

I also quite like Daniel Capiron as an overager and I think looking at some of the 19yos like we did with Murdoch as a late pick is worthwhile given the lack of depth at the back end of the draft.
I liked Capiron last year and, while my opinion means little, I was surprised he didn't find his way onto any list.

You'd think Markov, in this draft, gets a shot as well.

I liked Capiron last year and, while my opinion means little, I was surprised he didn't find his way onto any list.

You'd think Markov, in this draft, gets a shot as well.

Markov tested really well this year by the look of it, so there are two overagers that are a good chance to get drafted.

This kid has good hands...

I like him. Gets plenty of the ball playing HFF which shows his work rate - ran 10.12 for the 3km at the combine which got him a top 10 spot. Kicking is a bit dodgy but nothing to worry about. Phantom drafts have him as high as pick 25, as low as pick 45 so we might be a chance with our pick 46.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also like NT's Davin Ferreira - played league footy for Norwood in the SANFL this year and kicked three on debut:

I think there's definitely going to be plenty of talent later in the draft.

Just on a couple of young KPD that may be there late .... interesting bit of stuff on GlassMc..re Geelong. The only one that I have not heard much talk on is Firns... If we take a JakeK approach..any kid will be two years away..so being ready now is not the key parameter... Its more a mater if we want a real shut down type or traditional Geelong attacking type.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/tradin...-defenders-20151008-gk48zo.html#ixzz3oWQ4IkV2
Jesse Glass-McCasker (3/1/1997. 196cm, 95kg. Swan Districts)

Tall defender

AFL biography: Tall defender who is a great athlete, moving extremely well for a player of his size. Is versatile and can play at either end of the ground. Positions himself well in one-on-one duels and spoils strongly. Provides good run and carry for his team from defensive 50.

Averaged 8.2 possessions in five games at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships.

"Jesse is a power athlete. He's a good size and he has really good agility. He's strong in the contest with the ability to play as a running back as well as a lockdown defender. Off the field he's a quiet achiever with some leadership potential. He has two brothers; his mother lives in Perth and his father is in Geelong so when we played in Geelong during the national championships his dad got to see him play for the first time. He has very raw talent and all the athletic traits, but to improve he needs to keep working on his skills, his game sense and football knowledge."

Raff Guadagnino, WA talent manager

Dylan Smith (7/2/1997. 198cm, 81kg. Swan Districts)

Tall defender/forward

AFL biography: Key position player with elite speed for a player of his size. Displays many quality traits to make him an AFL prospect, including his clean hands and marking ability. Had a standout performance against South Australia in game one, collecting 18 possessions and taking eight marks. Averaged 8.2 possessions and four marks in six games at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships.

"Dylan's very rare: a kid at 198cm who can play both ends as a key position player. I would suggest his personality isn't a look-at-me-type person. He's a quiet sort of kid, so I see him more in the backline, but he can play as a forward as well. He has good size, speed, endurance and when he's on with his contested game he's very hard to beat. He's a diligent worker and only entered the game at 13, through some friends at school. He's not really from a football background at all."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/tradin...-defenders-20151008-gk48zo.html#ixzz3oWQ4IkV2

Sam Skinner (29/6/1997. 197cm, 96kg. Gippsland Power)

Tall defender/forward/ruckman

AFL biography: Key defender who can go forward to impact the game. Can also contribute as a second ruckman, making him a very versatile player. Played two matches at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, averaging nine possessions and 4.5 tackles, before injuring his knee and ending his season. Now on the road to recovery. Member of NAB AFL Academy.

"It was really disappointing for Sam to do his knee, but he hasn't put a foot wrong since. He didn't drop his head at all, he got straight in and he's done all the work that's been asked of him. He's just about to start running so he's ticked all the boxes along the way and we couldn't have asked any more of him. He's come on all our away trips, he's helped the coaches out on game day and he's been really supportive of his teammates. We're a bit split on where he'll end up playing: Pete (Francis) thinks he's a key defender but I like him as a forward who can go into the ruck. I like his aggression down there, and he has good hands, but he's definitely versatile and that should work in his favour."

Leigh Brown, Gippsland Power coach

Jack Firns (9/9/1997. 194cm, 90kg. Oakleigh Chargers)

Tall defender

AFL biography: Tall defender with a competitive streak, who excels in one-on-one contests. Uses his body well in marking duels and spoils soundly. Is intense around the football and makes excellent second efforts. Represented Vic Metro in NAB AFL Under-18 championships in five matches and averaged 11 disposals in 10 matches with the Oakleigh Chargers this year.

"I really like Jack. He's nice and quiet off the ground but a fierce competitor on it. He doesn't like to be beaten and loves the task of playing on the opposition's best forward. He sets himself to play on good players: he did quite well on Josh Schache during the championships and wasn't happy earlier in the year when Josh didn't play because he'd really wanted to play on him. I think he'll be good because at AFL clubs you can almost try and create key defenders. He's a pure one, so it will be interesting to see where he fits in. He'd be one of the first players picked in our side."
Craig Notman, Oakleigh Chargers talent manager

Just on a couple of young KPD that may be there late .... interesting bit of stuff on GlassMc..re Geelong. The only one that I have not heard much talk on is Firns... If we take a JakeK approach..any kid will be two years away..so being ready now is not the key parameter... Its more a mater if we want a real shut down type or traditional Geelong attacking type.

Jesse Glass-McCasker (3/1/1997. 196cm, 95kg. Swan Districts)

Tall defender

AFL biography: Tall defender who is a great athlete, moving extremely well for a player of his size. Is versatile and can play at either end of the ground. Positions himself well in one-on-one duels and spoils strongly. Provides good run and carry for his team from defensive 50.

Averaged 8.2 possessions in five games at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships.

"Jesse is a power athlete. He's a good size and he has really good agility. He's strong in the contest with the ability to play as a running back as well as a lockdown defender. Off the field he's a quiet achiever with some leadership potential. He has two brothers; his mother lives in Perth and his father is in Geelong so when we played in Geelong during the national championships his dad got to see him play for the first time. He has very raw talent and all the athletic traits, but to improve he needs to keep working on his skills, his game sense and football knowledge."

Dylan Smith (7/2/1997. 198cm, 81kg. Swan Districts)

Tall defender/forward

AFL biography: Key position player with elite speed for a player of his size. Displays many quality traits to make him an AFL prospect, including his clean hands and marking ability. Had a standout performance against South Australia in game one, collecting 18 possessions and taking eight marks. Averaged 8.2 possessions and four marks in six games at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships.

"Dylan's very rare: a kid at 198cm who can play both ends as a key position player. I would suggest his personality isn't a look-at-me-type person. He's a quiet sort of kid, so I see him more in the backline, but he can play as a forward as well. He has good size, speed, endurance and when he's on with his contested game he's very hard to beat. He's a diligent worker and only entered the game at 13, through some friends at school. He's not really from a football background at all."

Sam Skinner (29/6/1997. 197cm, 96kg. Gippsland Power)

Tall defender/forward/ruckman

AFL biography: Key defender who can go forward to impact the game. Can also contribute as a second ruckman, making him a very versatile player. Played two matches at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, averaging nine possessions and 4.5 tackles, before injuring his knee and ending his season. Now on the road to recovery. Member of NAB AFL Academy.

"It was really disappointing for Sam to do his knee, but he hasn't put a foot wrong since. He didn't drop his head at all, he got straight in and he's done all the work that's been asked of him. He's just about to start running so he's ticked all the boxes along the way and we couldn't have asked any more of him. He's come on all our away trips, he's helped the coaches out on game day and he's been really supportive of his teammates. We're a bit split on where he'll end up playing: Pete (Francis) thinks he's a key defender but I like him as a forward who can go into the ruck. I like his aggression down there, and he has good hands, but he's definitely versatile and that should work in his favour."

Leigh Brown, Gippsland Power coach

Jack Firns (9/9/1997. 194cm, 90kg. Oakleigh Chargers)

Tall defender

AFL biography: Tall defender with a competitive streak, who excels in one-on-one contests. Uses his body well in marking duels and spoils soundly. Is intense around the football and makes excellent second efforts. Represented Vic Metro in NAB AFL Under-18 championships in five matches and averaged 11 disposals in 10 matches with the Oakleigh Chargers this year.

"I really like Jack. He's nice and quiet off the ground but a fierce competitor on it. He doesn't like to be beaten and loves the task of playing on the opposition's best forward. He sets himself to play on good players: he did quite well on Josh Schache during the championships and wasn't happy earlier in the year when Josh didn't play because he'd really wanted to play on him. I think he'll be good because at AFL clubs you can almost try and create key defenders. He's a pure one, so it will be interesting to see where he fits in. He'd be one of the first players picked in our side."
Craig Notman, Oakleigh Chargers talent manager

I like the sound of Firns - kept Schache to 2 goals, not bad.

and he is pretty much on the down low...have not heard much about him. My only issue.. 194..having Kolo , id prefer to add a taller KPD . Having said that ..its tall enough if he has the game. Have not seen him but as you say... sounds alright and was CHB for VicM

and he is pretty much on the down low...have not heard much about him. My only issue.. 194..having Kolo , id prefer to add a taller KPD . Having said that ..its tall enough if he has the game. Have not seen him but as you say... sounds alright and was CHB for VicM
Firns and his Oakleigh teammate Harry Thompson were both solid but unobtrusive for Metro.

Little flash in the games I watched but both of them got the job done.

Couple of names rated higher on that list than id have thought... Buzza for example... pick in the 30's seems early. A pick before Rioli is hard to believe.

I don't agree with the entire order myself but I thought it was a good guide to see who might be available for us to snap up with our 3rd round picks.

Couple of names rated higher on that list than id have thought... Buzza for example... pick in the 30's seems early. A pick before Rioli is hard to believe.

I don't agree with the entire order myself but I thought it was a good guide to see who might be available for us to snap up with our 3rd round picks.
"St Kilda want him but he will nominate Carlton as his preferred club."

Strike out - Rice nominated the Saints.

We've all been there. :D

Seriously though, it makes for interesting reading. You see names that you recall watching and try and compare where you rated them against someone else.

So subjective and everyone have their own preferences and places importance on differenct aspects of a player's game.

But if Lovell lasts until the 50s I really hope we'd consider him because he looks like a kid who could be a great late pick.

Nyuon would be another worthwhile pick, especially if we don't manage to land Smith (not that Nyoun would be expected to do much in his first couple of years).

I thought Kade Stewert from WA did some nice things over his Championship games but he did seem to disappear at times. But he is a kid who looks like a player.

And then there is Agius who we discussed a bit earlier in the year. I've not seen him play but reports suggest he might be one of the most talented kids in the draft but has an attitude that sucks monkey's balls. We'll watch with interest to see if he gets picked up (talent wise, in a draft like this years, you'd think some club will try him).

No - Geelong have secured their future. I'm not too worried about lots of late draft picks, as there is the opportunity to draft in some speculative players (e.g. older well performed VFL players, good athletes ala Blitz) and see how they go in the VFL for 2-3 years.

As an example, I'm hoping Geelong give Matt Hanson a shot:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...489678378?sv=17e3c625ad99dc536ef65f93fd8a1521

I might be biased, as I taught him for 3 years, but he is a great guy who works hard and deserves a chance.

Like to see some vision on him Hanson sounds interesting

56. Gach Nyuon – Dandenong Stingrays (Ruckman 202cm/83kgs) Another Sudanese player who dominated the U18 championships and received All-Australian honours. Is imposing around the ground. Gives his mids first look at the ball and is regarded as a long term prospect.
He might have had a growth spurt.But that's light for the height.

where did this info come from YPO?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back