2015 Potential Draftee and Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Ruck options...... Looks like Nyuon has grown ..he is a good size now

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/tradin...ombine-harvester-ruckman-20151008-gk47g6.html

Gach Nyuon (19/3/1997. 201cm, 81kg. Dandenong Stingrays)

Ruck

AFL biography: Athletic ruckman who played a major role in the success of Vic Country, by being the outstanding ruckman of the championships and winning All-Australian Under-18 honours. Provided first use to his midfield and continually provided a target around the ground. Born in Sudan, he arrived in Australia with his family aged seven. Best on ground in first round of TAC Cup finals gathering 19 possessions, seven marks and 32 hit-outs for the Stingrays. Member of the NAB AFL Academy. Averaged 22.8 hit-outs per game at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships.

"He's one of my favourites. He's always been seen as a project and I think it took him a while to stop seeing himself as a project, to be honest. I don't think he saw himself as being up to the level for a long time. He knew he had ability, but once he got accepted by the Vic Country group he completely changed, and started to believe he could get there. Majak Daw came down one day to half a conversation with him, and I think it was: mate, this is going to slip away if you don't really take hold of it. But he has talent, and he's going to get better and better. He can now read the play, he's gone from being a basic tap ruckman to being a marking option around the ground and once he gets some strength into his legs his kicking will get more penetrating. He's going to get there."

Mark Wheeler, Dandenong Stingrays talent manager

Mitchell King (1/1/1997. 199cm, 90kg. Wodonga/Murray Bushrangers)

Ruck

AFL biography: Ruckman who has been a state representative in basketball and football as a junior. Athletic player who both links up well around the ground and is strong overhead. After an injury interrupted start to the year he recovered to play 10 games with the Bushrangers with 20 disposals and five marks against Gippsland his best performance.

"Mitch did his ACL as a bottom-ager last year in March, and really embraced the program anyway. He turned up to every training sessions and most games, and his leadership was outstanding. He worked really hard on his rehab and was able to hit the ground running for us in round seven or eight this year. He stamped himself as our number one ruckman from day one. He's a good overhead mark. his hands out of stoppages are very creative and he's around that modern day ruck size. He still has a bit of work to do physically, so he'll definitely come back as a 19-year-old if he misses out, but he's a really good kid and he'll get the work done."

Lee Fraser, Murray Bushrangers talent manager

Matthew Flynn (13/09/1997. 200cm, 99kg. Nerrandera/GWS Academy)

Ruck

AFL biography: Developing ruckman who competes aggressively and is athletic. Agile and courageous, he can push forward and be dangerous as a marking forward. Excellent below the knees for a player of his size and shows real potential with his rucking craft at stoppages. Averaged 10.7 possessions and 23.3 hitouts at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships. Member of GWS Academy.

"He's just a competitive beast. I first saw him playing under-16s and he was like a newborn foal back then, all arms and legs, head wobbling everywhere. His ruck work is second to none, he doesn't even really know what hand he is. He can take a contested mark and he's one of the best kids. He'd be the most competitive big man in the draft, by a long way. We talk about the big guys taking time, but he just wants to crash and bash."

Tadhg Kennelly, NSW-ACT Rams coach

Mabior Chol (29/1/1997. 198cm, 78kg. Yeronga/Lions Academy)

Tall forward /ruckman

AFL biography: Sudanese-born tall forward who also can play in the ruck. Left footer who is quick and agile and a good user of the ball by hand and foot. Moved to Queensland at eight years of age. Member of Brisbane Lions Academy. Impressed in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, averaging 10 possessions (80 percent efficiency) and 13 hitouts.

"Mabior is an amazing athlete. He's cat like in the way he can jump up in the ruck and then follow up at ground level. We've played him in the forward line and the backline as well, and he has a raking left foot. He's got a great ability to find the ball in traffic and not get tackled, he's a bit like Paddy Ryder in that way. And he's a good kid. He has some family responsibilities and spends a bit of time looking after his brother and sister. He's learnt a lot in the last couple of years about what being a professional athlete really means."

Adrian Fletcher, Queensland talent manager

Andre Parrella (21/9/1997. 203cm, 104kg. Sturt)

Ruck

AFL biography: Tennis convert at 203cm, displays great touch and understanding as a ruckman and how to position his body in ruck contests. Averaged 28.8 hitouts at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, with many being to the advantage of his team mates.

"He's probably the best ruckman in our group. He's got a really good work ethic, he listens and he wants to learn. He's not scared to get in the weights room and throw the weights around. I thought his ruck work and his hit to advantage stuff was really good this year."

Brenton Phillips, SA talent manager

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/tradin...ombine-harvester-ruckman-20151008-gk47g6.html

volcboy

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Like to see some vision on him Hanson sounds interesting

I can't find any recent vision, but he won the Best and Fairest for the Western Storm in the TFL in 2014 as a 19 year old, then moved to Werribee in the VFL and won their Best and Fairest this year (2015). Midfielder with strong endurance and good defensive side to his game, could play in the back half. I'd say he'd be worth a look as a 20 year old.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I can't find any recent vision, but he won the Best and Fairest for the Western Storm in the TFL in 2014 as a 19 year old, then moved to Werribee in the VFL and won their Best and Fairest this year (2015). Midfielder with strong endurance and good defensive side to his game, could play in the back half. I'd say he'd be worth a look as a 20 year old.

Some time players need to push their own band wagon a bit . I think it was Rooke who's father sent vision of his son to all clubs. Think on how some of our players has been recruited and someone knowing someone has helped in getting Egan and Blitz... probably others. Just head the latest Pies RookieB on the radio yesterday and it was a bit like that as well.

CatsDoItBetter

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
I think it'd be good to add some small forwards and small defenders who either stay in those positions or could move into the midfield. With the picks we will have I think these are our best options anyway other than mature recruits. As I saw it over the season combined with our recruits already we still need to add at least 1 more ruckman (mature ruck(s) let Read and Lucey develop as younger rucks), small forwards especially a crumbing forward, defenders of all variety and the vfl team needs some better mature players.
I know we had a lot of injuries this year so the vfl team was pretty bare a lot of the season and hopefully this season is a lot better in that regard.
But when both teams have been at their best we've had quality leaders playing in the vfl team I think this has a real flow on effect helping the young players in the vfl develop helping the vfl team win and making the transitions to the afl team cleaner.

You'd think we could find a couple through these lists sound like some players that should still be there with our picks that have some good skills. Or Wells picks some players no one else has heard of

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/tradin...mall-and-medium-forwards-20151008-gk48or.html

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/tradin...all-and-medium-defenders-20151008-gk47y2.html

CatsDoItBetter

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
Because of the picks that Carlton will have they'll likely get Jack Silvagni for a later pick I wander if Geelong might make a bid on him. As a medium size defender would be great to grab him for a steal with one of our late picks I think he'll be a good player.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I think it'd be good to add some small forwards and small defenders who either stay in those positions or could move into the midfield. With the picks we will have I think these are our best options anyway other than mature recruits. As I saw it over the season combined with our recruits already we still need to add at least 1 more ruckman (mature ruck(s) let Read and Lucey develop as younger rucks), small forwards especially a crumbing forward, defenders of all variety and the vfl team needs some better mature players.
I know we had a lot of injuries this year so the vfl team was pretty bare a lot of the season and hopefully this season is a lot better in that regard.
But when both teams have been at their best we've had quality leaders playing in the vfl team I think this has a real flow on effect helping the young players in the vfl develop helping the vfl team win and making the transitions to the afl team cleaner.

You'd think we could find a couple through these lists sound like some players that should still be there with our picks that have some good skills. Or Wells picks some players no one else has heard of

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/tradin...mall-and-medium-forwards-20151008-gk48or.html

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/tradin...all-and-medium-defenders-20151008-gk47y2.html

Posted about this kid before ..but I think has upside and is under developed atm. We all know Turner pushes hard for his Falcons kids but I feel he does know his stuff .

Tom Doedee (1/03/1997. 187cm, 80kg. Geelong Falcons)

Medium defender

AFL biography: Medium defender who excels one-on-one, is strong overhead and clean below his knees. Solid performer for Vic Country in four matches in NAB AFL Under-18 Championships this year after representing his state in basketball at Under-18 level last season. Team oriented player who averaged 12 disposals in 11 matches with the Falcons this year. Capable of playing on taller or smaller players in defence.

"Tom's a new talent. He did a preseason with us last but wanted to concentrate on his basketball. He was a point guard and hoping to get a scholarship in America, but that didn't work out so he came back to us. He couldn't do much training before Christmas because of injury and he carried a bit of a shoulder through the year, but the clubs look at him and think 'new talent, basketball background, big upside.' He's a very disciplined kid and he played really well for us at the start and end of the year in particular. When he wasn't injured he did really well for Vic Country as well. At the moment he needs to improve the attacking side of his game, but he's a very good one on one defender, he keeps his feet, stays in the contest, defends really well and has kept some really good players quiet. He's not often beaten in a one on one contest."

Michael Turner, Geelong Falcons talent manager

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
This kids sound very much like one we would be aware off... We like SA and we like combine tests... and 178 is not that short...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-18/sa-wa-draft-prospects-strut-their-stuff
Small midfielder Haysman had a breakout season this year at SANFL level with 15 senior games, including the Bloods' Grand Final win over Woodville-West Torrens last month.

Haysman, 18, aced three tests – the beep test, agility test and repeat sprints - at Sunday's SA combine, which was attended by 13 draft prospects and all 18 AFL clubs.

"He's an 18-year-old who played consistently for SA in the nationals during the year and topped off a fantastic year to be a member of the premiership side at West Adelaide at senior level," AFL national talent manager Kevin Sheehan told AFL.com.au on Sunday.

Phantom form guide update

"And now, he's topped the year off again with an outstanding performance all round at the SA Combine."

Haysman reached level 15.3 in the beep test, recorded a time of 8.19 seconds in the agility test, and a total of 25.07 seconds in the repeat sprints to top the tables

GHS33

Club Legend
Feb 28, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
This kids sound very much like one we would be aware off... We like SA and we like combine tests... and 178 is not that short...

Small midfielder Haysman had a breakout season this year at SANFL level with 15 senior games, including the Bloods' Grand Final win over Woodville-West Torrens last month.

Haysman, 18, aced three tests – the beep test, agility test and repeat sprints - at Sunday's SA combine, which was attended by 13 draft prospects and all 18 AFL clubs.

"He's an 18-year-old who played consistently for SA in the nationals during the year and topped off a fantastic year to be a member of the premiership side at West Adelaide at senior level," AFL national talent manager Kevin Sheehan told AFL.com.au on Sunday.

Phantom form guide update

"And now, he's topped the year off again with an outstanding performance all round at the SA Combine."

Haysman reached level 15.3 in the beep test, recorded a time of 8.19 seconds in the agility test, and a total of 25.07 seconds in the repeat sprints to top the tables

Yep - he's a gun and played in the SANFL GF for West Adelaide alongside fellow potential draftee Will Snelling. Would love either/both of them at GFC.

So with our first pick at 67 who is good enough to predict our first draft pick this year? :D
I got a couple in mind.

But it is a crap shoot.

Will we be able to select "in draft' this year? :cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
These are some repeat names on the combine results... if we have several picks at the end of draft ..it wouldn't surprise if one of these get the nod.

Jesse Glass-McCasker 198cm KPD
Jack Firns 194cm Ute Def
Tom Doedee 187 med def
Jordan Snadden 190cm tall ball winning mid
Mabior Chol 198cm ruck
Gach Nyuon 201cm ruck
Hisham Kerbatieh 177cm goal sneak FP
Stephen Tahana 183 def mid
Kieran Lovell 174 ball magnet mid
Mitch King 199cm Ruck

Last edited:

DanA

Norm Smith Medallist
May 15, 2006
Richmond
AFL Club
Geelong
These are some repeat names on the combine results... if we have several picks at the end of draft ..it wouldn't surprise if one of these get the nod.

Jack Firns 194cm Ute Def
Tom Doedee 187 med def
Mabior Chol 198cm ruck
Gach Nyuon 201cm ruck
Mitch King 199cm Ruck

I'd love these three. The bottom two in particular I think could be something special

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

Jack Firns 194cm Ute Def
Tom Doedee 187 med def
Mabior Chol 198cm ruck
Gach Nyuon 201cm ruck
Mitch King 199cm Ruck

Tahana showed a fair bit during the champs in a small backman role. Would be v happy to get him. I suppose he may be some chance to drop.

I like Tahana, fills a need too.

Would be quite happy with Kirbatieh if he gets through that late.

Also would be looking at ex Hawks and Freo rookie Menegola, has the ability to get back on a list I reckon

I think the main value for us will be in the academy players, if Brisbane and GWS don't have the points to match bids for all the ones they want some will get through late, Flynn and Cornell and the other Daniher from the GWS academy are worth looking at as are some of the Bris academy players.

meto

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 3, 2008
south-east
AFL Club
Geelong
Keiran Agius, I'm ready to lock it in Eddie

Agius and Mason Redman both SA talents and medium half forwards.
I was impressed with Redmans goal scoring ability for SA, both find room well and are strong grabs of the footy. We do need a couple considering the medium forward situation is weakened with the departure of Steve Johnson and the uncertainty of Menzel and Kersten is obvious, that's where we lose out on paper to the Hawks imo Med/Fwd.
Another Medium defender for Boris would be nice as well, someone to pair off with Thurlow like a Tom Doedee?
I reckon it's easier to find Medium forwards and backs because everyone is looking for the class mids and keypost talls, if we do our homework well we may find a couple even with our late picks.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back