2015 Potential Draftee and Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Who has seen Ryan Clarke play...... 3 goals for VicM today ... sounds like a Lang/Lewy Taylor type.

Watched the game interesting type Clarke..... sort a LangXChapman(not his body)... young guys but has face that reminded me of Dasher.

But as we know a certain man does like SA kids. Bonner sounds a likely type 191 and real rebound hb was a killer kick. worth watching.

some comments from
Skippos
Riley Bonner - Really good again. Not sure the intercept game was as pronounced but his rebound and kicking immense. Quick and provides a great running receive option. Kick has range and extreme penetration.
Diehardbomber
Riley Bonner - Best game of the champs bar far. Defensive work was pleasing to see but offensively was damaging, 9 x R50s & 5 x I50s and kicked 1.2. Looked dangerous and his foot skills were elite again.

Seems to be the type that will climb up the order

Last edited:

Five at an absolute minimum I would have thought. Hartman is definite. You'd think McIntosh would follow. Stokes, Simpson, Mackie, Kelly, Bartel, Enright and Johnson are all uncontracted. Again, you'd think at minimum 2-3 would give it away/be tapped. Then there's Menzel, Cowan, Blease and Rivers - pretty sure all would be out of contract and for various reasons would be facing the axe.

I think we will cut more than that, we cut 8 last year and to be honest more of those calls we made were marginal calls in that guys like Hunt and Hamling had played well for us and we knew were probably chances to find second homes elsewhere. Guys like Cowan and Simpson are more chaff than those guys IMO, and I thought Cook's comments about making big changes to the injured players list were pretty pointed, he is normally quite reserved, for him to say that indicates to me there has already been a chat amongst the footy dept along the lines of 'half of these injured guys, rounded up, have do go, now we need to decide which ones to cut'.

That combined with our clear chase of Dangerfield, Henderson, Scooter et al indicates to me we are planning to turn over at least 8 again this year. The only potential spanner in the works is that if we get all three of those guys (and some sort of ruck backup to cover Stanley) some of the older guys who might retire might decide to play one more year on reduced money if they think there's a shot at a swansong flag. On the other hand if we bring in a few senior players some of those older guys may lose their spots in the best 22, so it would be risky for them to go and maybe end up playing 2's all year. Of the older guys only Enright, Rivers and Johnson are playing well enough that they would be confident their spots in the best 22 are assured if they go on. McIntosh is done and Bartel, Stokes, Kelly etc, would all have to fight for spots if they go on.

If I had to guess I think we will turn over 8 or 9 off the senior list this year, bring in 3 trades/FA's and take about 5 picks in the draft.

I think either way we will see a demographic shift in the list (both in terms of age and injury prone-ness).

If we are being 100% realistic with ourselves Cowan, Linc (?), Macintosh, Simpson, and Vardy are all gone. Smedts and Menzel are on their last legs IMO. As you said I could see it going as high as 9 or 10 (maybe even more!). If Kelly cops one more injury you'd suspect that's the end of him too.

Not as down on Bartel as many here - his best this year was amazing and missing this season will give him more impetus to go around again imo.

If we get Danger, Henderson and Scooter, I think Stokes, Kelly and Rivers probably go. Which is a nice shift of the age downward into the right direction you don't want those three "replacing" Lang etc.

I think either way we will see a demographic shift in the list (both in terms of age and injury prone-ness).

If we are being 100% realistic with ourselves Cowan, Linc (?), Macintosh, Simpson, and Vardy are all gone. Smedts and Menzel are on their last legs IMO. As you said I could see it going as high as 9 or 10 (maybe even more!). If Kelly cops one more injury you'd suspect that's the end of him too.

Not as down on Bartel as many here - his best this year was amazing and missing this season will give him more impetus to go around again imo.

If we get Danger, Henderson and Scooter, I think Stokes, Kelly and Rivers probably go. Which is a nice shift of the age downward into the right direction you don't want those three "replacing" Lang etc.

Mixed Licorice on that group I think MB.
I agree on Hmac,Simpson ..probably Cowan (Rookie maybe) , Stokes , Kelly (probably) ... some of the maybes depends on predicted and unpredicted departures/arrivals

Indeed Turbotronics! Lots of names to go through the wash. It could be 3 or it could be 12. I rather hope it's towards the latter. I think in the last 2 seasons we have really come to see who will form the nexus of our next side (Caddy, Duncan, Guthrie, Motlop, Blicavs, Thurlow, Bews and Gregson(?) etc). Just like we did 2002-2004 when that core group of Bartel, Enright, Kelly, Ablett, SJ, Chapman, Hunt and Wojo came on. Sure it will change but that core group is appearing and starting to take shape. It just struck me today the similarities between this team and our teams of 2002/3/4/5.
bingo-o.gif

With the odds on having early access to the talent getting slimmer (with all the talk on Danger and Henderson)... this week end may display some talent worth having a look at . Especially 10.00 oclock tomorrow Tas playing Nsw. Maybe another Thurlow running round?

Any inside mids playing for Tas.?
No idea but the name Kieran Lovell did pop up today.

With the odds on having early access to the talent getting slimmer (with all the talk on Danger and Henderson)... this week end may display some talent worth having a look at . Especially 10.00 oclock tomorrow Tas playing Nsw. Maybe another Thurlow running round?

Any inside mids playing for Tas.?

Ralph's article suggests we are happy to part with our first rounder for Henderson. The way our season is improving our first pick may not be now until around 30 unless we trade back into it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gregson short...
Ignore shorter blokes with ability at your peril is the message guys like Gregson and Taylor and Zorko have taught me lately.

Oh, and that Harvey bloke isn't too bad either.

If the kid can play, the kid can play.

Ignore shorter blokes with ability at your peril is the message guys like Gregson and Taylor and Zorko have taught me lately.

Yeah that's my point I should have had a ;) It will be interesting to note teams if have taken note of Mr. G or will still avoid shorties. Sammy Mitchell is only 179cm too - that's according to the Hawks website - pretty sure it's an exaggeration.

Yeah that's my point I should have had a ;) It will be interesting to note teams if have taken note of Mr. G or will still avoid shorties. Sammy Mitchell is only 179cm too - that's according to the Hawks website - pretty sure it's an exaggeration.
I knew what you meant.

There is still a noticeable bias against shorter, lighter kids though (hell, I still hold it myself) but there have been some good smaller types in recent times who prove the adage that if you are good enough you'll get a shot at it.

I knew what you meant.

There is still a noticeable bias against shorter, lighter kids though (hell, I still hold it myself) but there have been some good smaller types in recent times who prove the adage that if you are good enough you'll get a shot at it.
:)
The thing that really works in Mr. G's favour is the booming kick he has on him. It's huge! I think people still think of Libba "short height = short kick" which is not the case.

I knew what you meant.

Not sure you can have too many of them though. For all the ability in Brisbane's midfield they do have a lot of talented pygmies. Taylor, Christensen, Green, Rich and even Beams aren't tall. I think you still do need a few bigger bodied guys - the smaller blokes being more easily pushed off the ball in tighter, contested games which finals normally are.

Ralph's article suggests we are happy to part with our first rounder for Henderson. The way our season is improving our first pick may not be now until around 30 unless we trade back into it.

Lets say we bring in Dangerfield and Henderson, do we have any short to medium term deficiencies that would require us to get an early pick?

Our needs IMO

Ruckmen: Won't be solved by drafting early.
KPD: That's what Henderson is for
Gun mid: you can never have too many but Dangerfield helps
Medium sized forward: They seem to be happy to give Kersten time in the role, and if we are lucky we'll have Menzel at his heels next year.

I don't think we'll try to trade in an early pick unless we get a great offer for a player on the cusp or an uncontracted player forces our hand.

You can always get a bargain when you go short, but you can only play so many of them before it causes a deficiency elsewhere. If the next best guy is 175cm we'll draft him but it wouldn't be my focus.

Lets say we bring in Dangerfield and Henderson, do we have any short to medium term deficiencies that would require us to get an early pick?

Our needs IMO

Ruckmen: Won't be solved by drafting early.
KPD: That's what Henderson is for
Gun mid: you can never have too many but Dangerfield helps
Medium sized forward: They seem to be happy to give Kersten time in the role, and if we are lucky we'll have Menzel at his heels next year.

I don't think we'll try to trade in an early pick unless we get a great offer for a player on the cusp or an uncontracted player forces our hand.

I was more thinking that if Motlop was to request a trade. Hopefully that doesn't eventuate.

Not sure you can have too many of them though. For all the ability in Brisbane's midfield they do have a lot of talented pygmies. Taylor, Christensen, Green, Rich and even Beams aren't tall. I think you still do need a few bigger bodied guys - the smaller blokes being more easily pushed off the ball in tighter, contested games which finals normally are.
I think ultimately Mr. G was drafted as small forward and will stay there long-term with occasional runs through the guts. I don't see him as an out and out midfielder.

True enough.

And I certainly wouldn't advocate packing the midfield with 19 year old, sub 180cm players.

On the flip side though, I wonder how many supporters look at Gregson and think he is better than #47.

We sometimes get caught up in looking for reasons NOT to draft a kid, height is usually #1 on that list.

Christensen leaving was a kick in the guts, Motlop leaving would be even worse.
Kinda, I can look past players just going for cash (and not much extra too IMO) like his brothers did. It's probably the worst/cheapest reason to leave so I can almost not worry about it.

True enough.

And I certainly wouldn't advocate packing the midfield with 19 year old, sub 180cm players.

On the flip side though, I wonder how many supporters look at Gregson and think he is better than #47.

We sometimes get caught up in looking for reasons NOT to draft a kid, height is usually #1 on that list.

I think there's certainly room in our side to put another sub 180cm player but I wouldn't want another. Gregson has been a revelation this year and certainly dispels those who only advocate taking tall midfielders. That's why our game is still so great - it can be played at the elite level by a range of heights. I can't think of too many other team or individual sports these days where that is still the case.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back